I just purchased INSANITY!! So I have a question...

Options
I am both apprehensive and excited about this. I have read about so many people having great success with it, but I know it is going to totally kick my butt. I consider myself to be at an average fitness level and to have decent endurance. I am optimisitc that this is the program that will (again) jumpstart my fat loss and muscle building since I am pretty much going nowhere with what I am doing.

I don't know if I need to up my calories when I do this program. Currently I do cardio (alternate running 5.5 miles and biking 12-13 miles) 3x a week and weight lifting (with dumbbells at home) 3x a week with 1 day off. I set my TDEE at lightly active based on this routine. My current TDEE -15% is 1724, so I set my calories at 1700 (wanted a round number :smile: ).

When I do my TDEE -15% based on moderately active, because of the time the INSANITY workouts will take each week, it goes to 1943. While I would like to lose a few pounds, ultimately I want to lose fat and inches. I am hesitant to switch it to that high of a number, but at the same time I want to make sure I am fueling my body enough with such an intense workout regimen.

Any thoughts/suggestions from past/current INSANITY users? For what it's worth, I'm 27 years old, 5'4" and around 150lbs.

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I am both apprehensive and excited about this. I have read about so many people having great success with it, but I know it is going to totally kick my butt. I consider myself to be at an average fitness level and to have decent endurance. I am optimisitc that this is the program that will (again) jumpstart my fat loss and muscle building since I am pretty much going nowhere with what I am doing.

I don't know if I need to up my calories when I do this program. Currently I do cardio (alternate running 5.5 miles and biking 12-13 miles) 3x a week and weight lifting (with dumbbells at home) 3x a week with 1 day off. I set my TDEE at lightly active based on this routine. My current TDEE -15% is 1724, so I set my calories at 1700 (wanted a round number :smile: ).

When I do my TDEE -15% based on moderately active, because of the time the INSANITY workouts will take each week, it goes to 1943. While I would like to lose a few pounds, ultimately I want to lose fat and inches. I am hesitant to switch it to that high of a number, but at the same time I want to make sure I am fueling my body enough with such an intense workout regimen.

Any thoughts/suggestions from past/current INSANITY users? For what it's worth, I'm 27 years old, 5'4" and around 150lbs.

It can be scary but don't worry! lol I use the 1.7 factor when I used the formula to calculate what to eat for Insanity because it's hardcore exercise 6 days a week. The nutrition guide is great, follow it and you WILL see amazing results. I am almost done with it, just 3 days left. I've slacked off this last week as I started running but phase 1 I dropped 9.7 lbs and the 2nd phase (still TBD) but I weighed this morning and it's gonna be good!!!! :)

ETA - it had me eating about 2400 cals a day btw. I now rely on my bodymedia armband to help me figure what I should eat but depending on my exercise for the day I still eat between 1600-2300 cals a day
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    Best Tip. Get a partner. Someone who is there through thick and thin (hopefully literally). Who won't quit on you. 6 days a week, for 9 weeks.

I don't think I know anyone who has done this successfully alone.

PS, good luck!!
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am on day 26 of Insanity and have lost 8 pounds so far and several inches. I'm 5'4" and 177 right now, and I'm eating a net 1800. In addition to Insanity 6x/week, I lift 3x/week. If you are running in addition to Insanity and lifting, then I don't think 1943 would be too much to still lose inches.

Best of luck, and feel free to add me if you want!
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am on day 26 of Insanity and have lost 8 pounds so far and several inches. I'm 5'4" and 177 right now, and I'm eating a net 1800. In addition to Insanity 6x/week, I lift 3x/week. If you are running in addition to Insanity and lifting, then I don't think 1943 would be too much to still lose inches.

I plan to ditch my current routine and only do Insanity (mainly for time reasons).
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I plan to ditch my current routine and only do Insanity (mainly for time reasons).

If you are able to maintain it, I would recommend continuing to lift. I'm sure some will disagree, but Insanity is essentially a cardio program. I still lift 3x a week in addition to this, although it is rough to lift and then do Insanity afterwards.
  • Shazzbozz
    Shazzbozz Posts: 2
    Options
    IMO, everyone should lift weights as part of a healthy lifestyle, but if you want to pause the lifting while you do Insanity, 60 days of not lifting weights won't hurt. Just pick it back up after Insanity is over as part of a weight lifting/cardio regiment.