How do you unwind after exercise?

Options
emilee1992
emilee1992 Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi guys, this is my first post but I was wondering if anyone finds that exercising in the evening can make it difficult to sleep even if you feel physically exhausted?

I do a mixture of morning and evening classes and funnily enough I'm tired if I go in the morning and awake at night!

I've tried the normal things like baths/reading a book but wondered if someone may have tips on being able to unwind

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Eat
  • emilee1992
    emilee1992 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have my dinner when I come in
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Foam roll
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Go in the morning, not worth screwing up your sleep. If you have to go in the evenings, foam rolling, hot shower, massage your limbs, and really good sleep hygiene

http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't. Exercise is how I unwind. If I unwind from my unwind I'd be dead
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Candle lit bubble bath with epsom salt. Then crash in front of the tv in bed. Late night soccer games kill me sleep patterns. That's what works for me. Def hard to get to bed sometimes with all those endorphins flowing!
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I work out after work, and when I get home I have a Quest bar, a shower, and some dinner. It takes a few hours, but I sleep like a baby every night. :D
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I can’t work out after 6pm or else I won’t sleep well. I’m an am for cardio, early pm for weights. I can lift in the morning, and I can cardio in the early pm, but not maximal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I do housework after I get in from cycling or walking.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just sit back, enjoy the post-exercise high. I find it easy to relax and it doesnt screw with my sleep. If I need to sleep - I lift heavy...that knocks me out pretty quick.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    A nice soak in the hot tub does it for me......
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Have a beer in the shower
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also cannot workout too late in the evening. However, it is better (less disruptive) if I take extra time stretching afterwards.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I take a shower- eat and go to bed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Have a beer in the shower

also- shower beer is delicious.

seriously- if you've never tried it people- you should.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I take a really really really hot shower.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Foam roll

Jam roll...and a beer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm done by 7ish PM I"m fine...that and a long shower. So long as I have a few hours between my workout and bed I sleep ok. Sometimes I take a melatonin supplement to make sure I crash hard. My bigger issue with sleep tends to be my kids.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    emilee1992 wrote: »
    Hi guys, this is my first post but I was wondering if anyone finds that exercising in the evening can make it difficult to sleep even if you feel physically exhausted?

I do a mixture of morning and evening classes and funnily enough I'm tired if I go in the morning and awake at night!

I've tried the normal things like baths/reading a book but wondered if someone may have tips on being able to unwind

I can;'t work out too late in the day because I cannot unwind in time to go to sleep at a decent hour. I do go in the sauna, steam bath, whirlpool to relax and unwind...that helps but if I work out too late I just take a over the counter sleep aid rather than tossing and turning until 4am. I try to keep my workouts in the am or a 4pm start time.

• musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I typically just avoid exercise late at night. When I do exercise then, I usually eat after and watch TV. Anything to relax.