o calorie per serving foods-do you track them? and if so how?

Options
13»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't log cooking spray, garlic, onions, some condiments, some veggies (even though I know they obviously have cals), but I have a large intake to play with so in the grand scheme of things they are insignificant (for me) - depending on your intake and how much of these items you consume as well as your current results up to this point, you may want to consider logging them
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    I eat a lot of 0 calorie per serving foods like pickles, traditional shirataki noodles, walden farms products etc. and now I heard they can have up to 5 calories per serving so I was wondering whether I should not track them and if so should I track 1 serving as 5 calories? What do you think-does anyone have a similar problem?

Shirataki noodles tend to be round 40-60 cals for a bag. I remember they said zero for awhile, but now it's changed, at least for the brand I got.

Pickles are about 5 cals a serving too.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Up to you! I'm about 50/50, sometimes I'll track ultra low cal things like herbs and coffee, but usually I don't.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i use some olive oil spray and butter spray and kernel seasoning. It says zero calories per serving. Also for sweeteners ( i use them in my tea).
    But to be sure i just have everyday a quick add of 50 calories added. Specially on days i use more than normal.

So when i cook in butter i log those normally.
    But when i cook in a olive spray and have my popcorn butter spray and seasoning i will add the extra 50 calories

Because the only thing that has no calories is water.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    There are foods with 0 calories????? lol

If you are talking about food with low cals, you should still log them because they can add up. All food has calories... or else it wouldn't be considered food... right?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I also track micronutrients so I definitely track all fruits and veggies even if it has like 2 calories lol.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating a serving of zero cal capers. I log them to remind myself tomorrow, when I'm retaining water, that my capers carry a crap-load of sodium.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would still track them so you get in the habit of logging everything. Whenever I leave something out simply because I'm too lazy to track it, I find that I start to leave more and more out. It never hurts to log anyway :)
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    i use some olive oil spray and butter spray and kernel seasoning. It says zero calories per serving. Also for sweeteners ( i use them in my tea).
    But to be sure i just have everyday a quick add of 50 calories added. Specially on days i use more than normal.

But when i cook in a olive spray and have my popcorn butter spray and seasoning i will add the extra 50 calories

I was watching some show, that said that those oil and butter sprays..a serving is like a spray of a fraction of a second. and they said the average person actually holds the spray for 3 seconds or more, and actually using something like 20+ servings of the spray, in one go!

I dont use cooking sprays anyway, but that alone freaked me out..and this was before I started trying to lose weight. But yeah, at those quantities (20+ servings of a "0" calorie food) its definitely adding cals to your overall meal. Very unfair and a wrong way to label serving sizes of those things, I think.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sassy_xo wrote: »
    From someone who is currently in nursing school and is taking a required nutrition course, there is NO SUCH THING as a zero calorie food.

That being said, I am not perfect either. I use Stevia, which while it is a natural zero calorie sweetener

Does not compute.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Sassy_xo wrote: »
    From someone who is currently in nursing school and is taking a required nutrition course, there is NO SUCH THING as a zero calorie food.

That being said, I am not perfect either. I use Stevia, which while it is a natural zero calorie sweetener

Does not compute.

It is because, while a good might have negligible kcal for a single serving that rounds to 0 (say .2kcal) the food can still add up to something if you eat enough of it.
    I think for most of these it's a non issue, but if you're drinking 30 diet sodas a day....
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

I was watching some show, that said that those oil and butter sprays..a serving is like a spray of a fraction of a second. and they said the average person actually holds the spray for 3 seconds or more, and actually using something like 20+ servings of the spray, in one go!

I dont use cooking sprays anyway, but that alone freaked me out..and this was before I started trying to lose weight. But yeah, at those quantities (20+ servings of a "0" calorie food) its definitely adding cals to your overall meal. Very unfair and a wrong way to label serving sizes of those things, I think.

Well i am not too worried about it. Lost almost 80 pounds in 5 months. So my guess is i do something right for me...winks

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

Well i am not too worried about it. Lost almost 80 pounds in 5 months. So my guess is i do something right for me...winks

Ohh..I wasnt implying that you're wrong or should be worried and didnt mean that in a negative way or personal way against you or your weight loss progress.

My point literally was what I said, the unfairness of the serving sizes that they put on them. Im going to back away from you now though.. :neutral_face:
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I track most things but if it's a matter of 10-30kj then I generally don't.

Things like chewing gum or coke zero where you would have to eat a fair bit to get the KJ to add up.

I think both chewing gum and come have like 6kj per serving. Say I drink 2L of coke what's that 50kj, hardly worth tracking, especially since I don't drink 2liters.

I'm sorry, I have to giggle at this typo. Tee hee.