Clif bars?

Options
are these good or bad? Sometimes I will eat one to cure cookie/cake cravings-but they are really high in calories. Around 240-260 I believe. Thoughts?

Replies

• illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Clif bars are so so so so so good. I could eat 40. However, I eat one and fit it into my macros/calories. They have a decent amount of fiber and protein. There's good stuff in there. It depends on what your calorie goals are, though. I use them as snacks.
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    Clif bars are so so so so so good. I could eat 40. However, I eat one and fit it into my macros/calories. They have a decent amount of fiber and protein. There's good stuff in there. It depends on what your calorie goals are, though. I use them as snacks.

They definitely fit into my calorie goal per day. I'm a pretty clean eater and eat mostly fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. Super boring but it helps with cutting fat. The clif bars occasionally just keep me sane! Lol Id imagine it's better than a snickers bar or cookies bc of the protein and fiber values.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Absolutely better than a Snickers!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Not always the case...
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I love the chocolate chip one
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

They definitely fit into my calorie goal per day. I'm a pretty clean eater and eat mostly fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. Super boring but it helps with cutting fat. The clif bars occasionally just keep me sane! Lol Id imagine it's better than a snickers bar or cookies bc of the protein and fiber values.

I fit them into my day as well. I REALLY like the cliff builder bars... Chocolate mint. Holy cow. Tastes like thise Girl Scout thin mint cookies. You know, the ones created by the devil himself? So yeah, I'm really glad I found these builder bars. They have more protein than the normal cliff bars as well.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like the Rise bars myself, Cliff bars are too sweet, IMO.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Their builder line of bars is my go-to bar as it's higher in protein than most. The chocolate mint flavor is pretty decent. It's no thin mint, but it's not cardboard, either.

As for the regular clif bars, the white chocolate macadamia is pretty good. I'll take one with me on long bike rides just in case I get in trouble.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I love them, but they contain soy and other ingredients I have sensitivities, so they are a no-go food for me. It gives me the sadz every time I see them on the store shelf.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I do like Clif bars, but they are nearly as calorie-laden as the cookies/cakes you are trying to replace. I have a hard time fitting a whole one into my daily calories without giving up on 'real' food, so I usually try to limit myself to eating 1/2 of a bar as my mid-morning snack when I am out skiing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather spend the calories on ice cream, cookies or chocolate, but if you really like them, nothing wrong with them.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Not always the case...

Exactly...if you need quick release energy, a Snickers would be the better option.

I do like Clif Bars though. The Apple Pear Strudel is so good. It's my newest favorite.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

*marginally better than a snickers.
  • shawnfxp
    shawnfxp Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Crunchy Peanut Butter is my go to. They make a great filler when I'm coming in low on calories, or need a pick-me-up between meals.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love cliff bars! I find they are better than regular cookies because of the fiber and protein in them. They actually satisfy my craving, where normal cookies just have me wanting more and more...and I lose control. Absolutely, eat these if you enjoy them but also try to get in a good workout! I use them for energy sometimes when I take an intense spinning class at my gym. I also love Kind Bars and Larabars, which are gluten free. B)
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but I found mini-clif bars at Wal-mart. They were about half the size of the regular bars and half the calories.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The ONLY flavor of clif bars I am iffy about is the brownie one. That one just seems a bit dry to me but every other flavor is awesome. Just have to be careful because they do 20 grams of sugar. And the Builder Bars are heaven!
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    They're not "good" or "bad," they're just tasty candy bars (which I guess makes them good?).
    Hornsby wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

Not always the case...

Exactly...if you need quick release energy, a Snickers would be the better option.

They have about the same amount of sugar though, so neither one is really better than the other. If you wanted quick-release energy you would be better off with a gel than a bar.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I want a sweet snack, I chose Quest Bars Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.. they're freaking amazing, you get tons of protein and fiber.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you can get them in your area (or aren't opposed to ordering online), I'd suggest Quest bars instead. Taste is much better IMO and at less than 200 calories and at least 20g of protein for most of the flavours they're a lot easier to fit into a day than a Cliff bar.

But it's all down to your individual tastes really.