Lost in Translation??

Options
Could somebody give me a rundown of all these fancy terms you guys use? What does TDEE stand for? What does it mean to be in a "deficit"? I've seen other confusing terms/slang here that I just don't get. Is there a dictionary, or at least a kind stranger who can help a sista out?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or the total number of calories your body burns in a 24 hour period - sleeping, eating, walking, working, household chores, exercise, etc.

A calorie deficit is consuming fewer calories than the body burns all day, or less than the TDEE, and results in weight loss.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I know there's a thread somewhere listing all the commonly used MFP terms. I'll see if I can find it....
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    BMR - (Basal Metabolic Rate): The amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

NEAT - (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over.

EAT - (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

TEF - (Thermic Effect of Feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

TDEE - (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require - and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).

Macronutrients or Macros - The three main categories of major nutrients: Carbohydrates, Fat, and Protein. Fat has subcategories (polyunsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats, saturated fats, trans fats). Carbohydrates has subcategories (dietary fiber, sugar). Anything that has calories fits into one or more of these 3 groups. The only caveat to that statement is that alcohol is technically a separate category that has it's own calories, but it's usually not referred to as a macronutrient.

Micronutreints or Micros - Do not contain calories and thus don't affect body composition, but are important for health. Micronutrients are basically vitamins and minerals.

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    w00t! Found it

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1

If you need a heads up for other terms, just send me a message ^_^