Biggest eye opener from weighing food

Options

Replies

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    For everyone having PB difficulties...check out PB2...it's AWESOME!!!! Especially in protein shakes, or on low cal tortillas with sugar-free preserves!

tumblr_mcqaooWe411qgeygd.jpg

smuckers-sugar-free-jam-jelly-preserves.jpg
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    So many calories in a whole avocado :(
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Can I jump in on this discussion?? @Peterjens, there are Tostitos Cantina chips. They are thinner and it feels like you get more for an ounce of them then an ounce of regular tortilla chips. I know an ounce is an ounce, but it feels like more because they are thinner. Just an FYI.
  • 505n8v
    505n8v Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post on weighing food. I lost 80lbs through Curves. I am no longer with them and have been struggling to lose another 20lbs. I've never weighed my food. I'm hoping this will help. I've been pretty much "eye-balling" my portions or using standard measuring cups.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    My biggest eyeopener:
    EVERYTHING HAS SALT

Actually, I found the opposite is true. I have been craving salty food for months, and it wasn't until I started with MFP and started tracking everything I eat that I discovered that my salt intake is very low. Less than half the daily recommended value.

Fruit and veg don't have salt. Neither does rice and quinoa. Chicken might, but very low quantities.

I started salting my food, and occasionally even taking electrolyte tablets on days when my salt intake was particularly low, and the cravings for salty food went away.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Why can't you measure it out dry, and that's it? If you make 4 portions, eat 4 portions. It's simple math.

It's always the dry weight. Always.

^^This
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My biggest eyeopener:
    EVERYTHING HAS SALT

Actually, I found the opposite is true. I have been craving salty food for months, and it wasn't until I started with MFP and started tracking everything I eat that I discovered that my salt intake is very low. Less than half the daily recommended value.

Fruit and veg don't have salt. Neither does rice and quinoa. Chicken might, but very low quantities.

I started salting my food, and occasionally even taking electrolyte tablets on days when my salt intake was particularly low, and the cravings for salty food went away.

That's how I am. I need to watch salt, but I don't have anything like chips or bread, so rarely am I even close to being at the level I need to pay attention. I do the majority of my cooking from scratch, and can't manually add enough salt to compete with the packaged food.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. It's so caloric the only thing I can eat with it is celery or will be too many cals, and I hate celery. I won't be buying anymore of it.
  • launchpadmkquak
    launchpadmkquak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Almonds and tortillas were very disappointing.

What I was most surprised about in a good way was proteins, especially fish.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Eggs surprised me. For years I used the 1 large = 50g assumption, without thinking about it actually being an average. I started weighing the eggs after I cracked them into a bowl when I changed how I was cooking them, and realized a lot of times, they'll all be over or all be under. If I'm making something with 3 eggs, it'll sometimes work out that I'm short or over by "half" an egg.

They surprised me too. I have to say, though, that Eggland's Best eggs are pretty much consistent within a carton. I usually only get them when they're on sale. They're all pretty much within a gram or two of each other.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eggs surprised me. For years I used the 1 large = 50g assumption, without thinking about it actually being an average. I started weighing the eggs after I cracked them into a bowl when I changed how I was cooking them, and realized a lot of times, they'll all be over or all be under. If I'm making something with 3 eggs, it'll sometimes work out that I'm short or over by "half" an egg.

They surprised me too. I have to say, though, that Eggland's Best eggs are pretty much consistent within a carton. I usually only get them when they're on sale. They're all pretty much within a gram or two of each other.

Not mine, I used two this morning and it was 106g total.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Almonds and tortillas were very disappointing.

What I was most surprised about in a good way was proteins, especially fish.

Ugh, yes, tortillas. They are not worth 100 calories each! ~grumble~
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Not mine, I used two this morning and it was 106g total.

I had an entire carton of 18 and every single egg was either 48 or 49. Dang! So much for that theory :D

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by weighing chicken (breast meat) and steak. I was eating 2.5+ servings before I started to weigh.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My biggest eyeopener:
    EVERYTHING HAS SALT

@Machka9
    Actually some veggies and fruit do contain sodium. Chicken depending on the brand and packaging can have quite a bit in as well. It really would depend on if you're buying something like Smart Chicken vs. the super size bags of chicken breasts. Some soak the chicken in salt water so it adds more weight to the pkg.

I actually was quite surprised when I measured out carrots and saw the sodium in them, I'd never thought about it before tracking.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I did the 'assumption' too, never have I weighed out an egg..I trusted the egg. :( Silly me!

Same with bread, you all are weighing a piece of bread, I guess I pull a piece out and figured by the time I finished the loaf it evened out.

Sheesh, I've been here for quite awhile you'd think I'd have seen a thread on eggs, bread etc. by now. lol

@slaite1 This is a very very informative thread... glad you all are posting... I definitely am learning quite a bit. :)
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    One ounce of cheddar cheese is quite small. I used to slice off a thick slice of cheese to nibble on while preparing a meal using cheese. No more.

And who eats just one ounce of tortilla chips or potato chips?

Probably the same person who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    that my 112g chicken breast was really 300g+

thanks walmart...
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised by peanut butter. I only use 1 tbspn per sandwhich and feel like thats alot.

I was irritated measuring bananas.....holy calories! For fruit anyways (which I assumed was really low cal b/c its "healthy")