Military folks

Options
I keep thinking back to those glory days of Basic Training, or being overseas and how our lifestyles were workout, workout, workout. Now I'm working a desk job, and working out 24-7 just isn't an option. Although, it was some time ago, I would love to get back into that type of shape, but how do you do it when you don't have every hour of the day to devot to it anymore? There's always the gym, and there's always run, pushups and situps... but has anyone changed it up and seen results?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I am retired from the Army and am in better shape at 53 than I ever was before. The main reason is that I know what I'm doing now and I can keep to a consistent training program rather than having to take long breaks every month for field training (I was in the Infantry).

All it takes is commitment and getting up early in the morning (just like in the Army) to get the PT done. Then you have the rest of the day to do other things, or to do more PT if that's what you want to do.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm was in better shape a year after I got out vs. when I was in. I don't remember devoting every hour of every day to PT though either.

It's about educating yourself, making time for PT, and making sure your diet is on point.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    All it takes is commitment and getting up early in the morning

This is the only reason I have been able to sustain my fitness. By being out the door to workout by 0530 I am able to get a full workout in, be at work by 0730 and not interfere with family time at the end of the day.
  • mikeecus
    mikeecus Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi,
    15 years in Navy here, 4 and change to go woohooo!!

anyway - the job changes focus for us and I find myself strapped to a desk now instead of focused on physical training like I was as a young Sailor and a Rescue Swimmer. I am a very competitive by nature so what I did to regain that focus was start triathlon. While that may not be your cup of tea, maybe some kind of competitive series would be. I admit that I sink a TON of time now into training, but it's something that I like so that mitigates the pain a bit for me. I think we say things like "I just dont have the time to do that anymore!", but the reality (at least it was for me) was the reason I stopped doing those things was they fell off my priority list. 30 lbs later I was pretty unhappy with myself and it effected everything around me.

So I would say try to find some physical activity that you can compete in - and train to get better at it. You may find yourself having fun while getting fit and seeing gains in your body at the same time:)

Goodluck!
  • KlaJWolf
    KlaJWolf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    All great insight! I think you're all right. Working out fell off my priority list and I've made excuses about being too busy. I do the bike rides with family, but it isn't quite enough. I think I'll have to jump back into morning PT. Thanks everyone!