CICO vs Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I meant CICO in terms of not restricting what you eat vs Low Carb and restricting your diet to such.

So IIFYM/flexible dieting.

Again, both are just means to an end to reach your CICO balance for your desired weight management goals. I do IIFYM, but I've done "clean eating" in the past (did not last, too restrictive for me).

Pretty sure Low Carbers follow IIFYM.....

i would say so. My macros are set at 5% carb 20% protein 75% fat and i eat accordingly. if i exercise, the numbers i am able to eat of each increase.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're using the wrong terminology. Many people do low carb without calorie counting (which is I think what you meant to say instead of CICO). Many people who do low carb eat low carb, high fat, moderate (adequate) protein (aka, LCHF or keto). High fat is very satiating, so if you listen to your hunger signals it can be easy to lose weight without counting/tracking on low carb. I eat LCHF and looking back at my diary, I have lost at least 50-60 lbs. of the 95 I have lost so far without any tracking/counting whatsoever. But there is still a calorie deficit (CICO) necessary to lose. I have found that 1400 cal/day works for me for weight loss. I have eaten this way for 2.5 years and don't plan to stop.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You need CICO to lose weight. You do not need low carb to lose weight.
    Low carb is simply one of many ways to achieve CICO. All of which require still being aware of your CI and your CO.

You can keep your percentages around anything. CICO does not require macro monitoring. I have protein at 125g and fat at 65g, regardless of my calorie intake, meaning 23% for protein and 27% for fat. So about 50% left over for carbs.. which usually only gets used up 40-45% because I go over on fat and protein.

CICO is an equation - you do not 'need' it as such.

In fact you do not even need to know your calories in vs calories out to lose weight.

All you need to do is to fall the right side of the equation.

Truth is to lose weight you do not need to count calories, to eat low fat, low carb, to eat everything in moderation.

You just need to eat less or move more.

People have been doing it for billions of years.

The reason we now have all of these different eating strategies is that we have an abundance of food in most westernized countries and a lot of people don't have regulation switch with food and we all find different things easier and harder.

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    I meant CICO in terms of not restricting what you eat vs Low Carb and restricting your diet to such.

So eating in a surplus?

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I think you mean IIFYM vs Low carb? Both fall the laws of thermodynamics.

Personally, I can't do low carb. It severely hurts my exercise performance and makes me miserable. It's potential that is because I generally have low blood sugar but who knows. Either way, my goal is to his 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35 -.6g of fat and the remainder in carbs. I also shoot for 30-50g of fiber.

Low Carb folks still fall under the IIFYM category as well.

IIFYM folks still fall under the restricted diet category as well.

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Personally, I can't do low carb. It severely hurts my exercise performance and makes me miserable. It's potential that is because I generally have low blood sugar but who knows. Either way, my goal is to his 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35 -.6g of fat and the remainder in carbs. I also shoot for 30-50g of fiber.

Never said they didn't

• tennisdude2004
    Options

Never said they didn't

Just as I'm sure the Low Carb folks don't say they do not fall into the IIFYM.
  • asdowe13
    Options

Never said they didn't

Never said that either - you looking for an argument again?
  • milkywayward
    milkywayward Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like low carb — I like to think of it as high protein — because (a) it helps me hit my protein goals for workout days and (b) I don't get hungry and I don't crave sugar. I also find myself eating more nutrient-dense foods and particularly non-starchy vegetables.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Never said they didn't

Never said that either - you looking for an argument again?

Sorry, my fault I thought there was a point to your statement!

'Low Carb folks still fall under the IIFYM category as well'
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    CICO and low carb are not mutually exclusive ( as many have said ).

The diet she was describing sounds like a Ketogenic plan ( with a loading day ). Without more details, cant be sure.

Low carb diets have been used in the past to treat epilepsy and help control diabetes.

I could never maintain a meal plan like this long term, I love my breads and pasta too much. It can be a successful long term plan for some.

*** As a side note, recommendations for carbs in a diet can vary based on body type ( endo, meso, ecto, etc ). ***
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    CICO is not a diet plan - it is an equation that even Low carbers have to follow.

If going low carb is what gets you into a deficit it works.
    There are numerous people on here who are LC dieters.
    Many have had long term success.
    Right. MFP, counting, weighing, measuring etc. is your diet plan.
    A lot of it is a lifestyle preference. I don't like calorie counting. I don't do low carb, per-se, either. But I can see why some folks want to be told what to eat, and some folks want to be told how much.
    The key is: are you learning how to keep the weight off.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

So IIFYM/flexible dieting.

Again, both are just means to an end to reach your CICO balance for your desired weight management goals. I do IIFYM, but I've done "clean eating" in the past (did not last, too restrictive for me).

Pretty sure Low Carbers follow IIFYM.....

And some low carbers follow "clean eating." All of these things are means to an end towards calorie restriction. I am not a low carber but I am an IIFYM.

ETA iifym does not simply mean "I have a set of macros to follow." It means understanding that you can eat flexibly, eating what you desire while meeting your specific macronutrient needs, so that you do not need to cut anything out. If someone low carbs for weight loss and does not have a medical reason for doing so, I would not call their approach IIFYM because they are actively restricting for weight loss purposes. Someone who needs to eat low or moderate carb for e.g. diabetes sets their macro goals according to their needs and then eats whatever they want while meeting their nutritional needs, thajt's more IIFYM to me.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    CICO is not a diet plan - it is an equation that even Low carbers have to follow.

A lot of it is a lifestyle preference. I don't like calorie counting. I don't do low carb, per-se, either. But I can see why some folks want to be told what to eat, and some folks want to be told how much.

What are you trying to say in regards to quoting me?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like low carb — I like to think of it as high protein — because (a) it helps me hit my protein goals for workout days and (b) I don't get hungry and I don't crave sugar. I also find myself eating more nutrient-dense foods and particularly non-starchy vegetables.

I don't think the usual low carb diet is any higher in protein, at least not compared to something like 40-30-30. It's more exchanging fat and carbs.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Only with respect to calories, which EVERY diet does. I do not omit anything from my diet for weight loss reasons, and I easily go over on fat and under on carbs whenever I want. I only monitor protein for body composition. While still eating anything within my calorie needs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

What are you trying to say in regards to quoting me?
    I said "right" which meant I agreed with you.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If low carb is something that helps you keep on track then great, go for it. But you'll still need to make sure CI<CO in order to lose lbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Depends on your goals and activity. If you're running a significant deficit, it may be necessary to restrict carbs so you have room for more protein - depending on your body and where you're trying to get to.

But if you like running a lot, it may be necessary to restrict fat so you have more room for quick-acting carbs.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Depends on your goals and activity. If you're running a significant deficit, it may be necessary to restrict carbs so you have room for more protein - depending on your body and where you're trying to get to.

But if you like running a lot, it may be necessary to restrict fat so you have more room for quick-acting carbs.

This was actually helpful to me because my running endurance has been down lately and I've been trying to hit my fat macro (30%). Lightbulb is going on.

As for the OP, why don't you try it for a week or two and see if it works for you? I'm definitely in the eat-all-the-carbs category, but one of my best friends swears by low-carb and has shed weight doing it (she walks and lifts for exercise, almost no cardio).