Maintaining weight but toning: how?

Options
Hi there!

Since I have recently hit my goal weight I now want to focus on not only maintaining this weight but also toning up a bit more in terms of muscle. I suppose this means losing fat and gaining muscle. I was just wondering how to go about this and if anyone has some tips? My goal is not so much getting real muscle-y but more getting a bit more definition etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'toning' is essentially losing fat.

Make sure you're eating enough protein, have a small deficit and are doing resistance/strength training.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle then you need to eat at or above maintenance and progressive weight train

you will put on fat and muscle but then you just drop the fat with another cut

your weight on the scale should shift upwards as muscle weighs more by volume than fat does

don't use the phrase 'toning' it means nothing .. you either have muscles or you don't .. visible muscles are the product of low enough body fat
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Make sure you're eating enough protein, have a small deficit and are doing resistance/strength training.

Agreed.
  • joycemfp8
    joycemfp8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks so far! Can you explain why I need a deficit if I'm not trying to lose weight? Just trying to understand :) Will a mix of cardio and strength training suffice (this is what i generally do now)? How much strength/resistance training would you recommend?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Agreed.
    Ditto.

And you still need a deficit to lose the fat which will reveal the muscle, which is essentially what "toning" is.