Starting Out/Starting Over: Consistency or Variety?

Options
I am committing to a healthy lifestyle, slowly but surely. Looking to gain some fitness insight as an obese "beginner". I'm 5'2, 230 lbs and apple shaped. In the past, I was able to lose some weight with a gym routine (alternating cardio and weight machines) but soon lost interest and found the couch, snacks, and netflix.

This time, I would like to add more variety to keep things interesting. But I feel like I might end up all over the place? If possible (if my wallet allows it) I'd like to get Zumba, yoga, and kettlebell training in each week, in addition to going to the gym for cardio and weights.

Is it bad to try too many new/different things? Is it more efficient to stick to a routine?

Replies

• kjflaherty
    kjflaherty Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I say try everything until you find something you LOVE. I am madly in love with zumba and even kept up with it when I gained all my weight back (stopped tracking, oops). Of course try everything for a few times before you decide you hate it. Hope this is helpful, good luck :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    To be honest, at the weight you are now, it makes no difference. You need to first change your diet, then start moving. Where you are now, how you are moving does not matter. Whatever you like and keeps you interested. I can tell you that going from couch potato to several days per week of intense exercise will most probably result in injury, so start slowly and do not try too much all at once. What you do will not really affect your weight loss, it s more about your overall health. Simply walking half an hour every day will be a good start, anything more is just a personal preference.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I like to try different things as I get bored very quickly! I love spin class so I do that three times a week. But I also do the elliptical and run on the treadmill along with weight machines three times a week. Each week I try a new video or something to change my workout up a little bit. Your body gets used to the same routines and for me it stopped being effective so I add some new things along with the old.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    jen7eleven wrote: »
    I am committing to a healthy lifestyle, slowly but surely. Looking to gain some fitness insight as an obese "beginner". I'm 5'2, 230 lbs and apple shaped. In the past, I was able to lose some weight with a gym routine (alternating cardio and weight machines) but soon lost interest and found the couch, snacks, and netflix.

This time, I would like to add more variety to keep things interesting. But I feel like I might end up all over the place? If possible (if my wallet allows it) I'd like to get Zumba, yoga, and kettlebell training in each week, in addition to going to the gym for cardio and weights.

Is it bad to try too many new/different things? Is it more efficient to stick to a routine?

First of all, I appreciate the fact that you know the difference between "lose" and "loose." Warms my heart, it does :)

Second, i like the idea of changing it up, but I'd have some sort of plan for it. You want to do it regularly enough that it becomes habit. In my experience that takes a couple of months.

At first I'd commit to going say 3 times a week and doing some cardio and weighliting. If you are unsure about weightlifting ask one of the trainers at the gym to show you the ropes, they should be willing to do that. Or even hire one for an hour to teach you form/technique. Start light and slowly add weight.

Once the habit is firm and secure, then start mixing in the other things especially if your gym offers them for free. Variety not only helps keep you mentally fresh but keeps your body guessing at what you are going to demand of it as well, which helps you to avoid plateaus and continue to improve.

Good luck, and remember that on those days where you just aren't feeling it, go ahead and go anyways. Even if you just hit the treadmill for a half hour you are NEVER going to leave the gym thinking "man I wish I hadn't done that workout."

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You want to do yoga, Zumba, and kettlebell, plus other cardio and weights. Some of that is redundant. I think it is great to try out different things in order to find what works for you. However, I also think it is good to limit what all you are trying out all at once. I would pick three things (probably yoga, some type of cardio--could be Zumba, and some type of strength workout) and then stick with them for 2-3 months. At that point I'd decide which I liked and which I didn't and then I would replace the latter.

If you want a strength program with variety, check out New Rules of Lifting for Women and/or Strong Curves. Both have different phases that are 4 weeks long. Each phase has slightly different exercises and/or rep schemes. Both are books but you can also find the details online.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If your goal is general fitness and weight loss, there is absolutely nothing wrong with variety, and may actually be better in some ways.

If you're looking to progress at something (i.e. become a good runner, get stronger, etc), then you're progress will be faster if you focus on that 1 goal.

So from what you said in your post, it sounds like variety would be just fine for you.
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @kjflaherty - I love Zumba and was sad when I stopped going last year. I purchased a class pass at a local studio, so I'm going to try to include that as my cardio once a week. It is intense for me because of my size, but plenty of fun and I love the feeling of finishing a class. Thanks for the support!

@aggelikik - You're absolutely right, diet changes should come first and that is something I am working on changing. A negative habit I am trying to change is compulsive eating out of boredom and loneliness, which is why I am trying to put more emphasis on working out as part of my routine. Thanks for your insight, I am going to try to start slow to avoid injury. :)

@vada44 - Thanks for the friend request and the support!
  • jen7eleven
    Options
    @bostonwolf - Also there, their, and they're. :) I appreciate the advice, and I am going to try to start with that - 3 days a week - and commit until it is a habit. Last night was my first night back in the gym. It took a LOT of convincing not to just stay home and "start tomorrow". I only stayed for 30 mins on the treadmill (mind reader?), but like you said/predicted, I was totally glad I went. I left feeling really proud of my small accomplishment. :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    If your goal is general fitness and weight loss, there is absolutely nothing wrong with variety, and may actually be better in some ways.

If you're looking to progress at something (i.e. become a good runner, get stronger, etc), then you're progress will be faster if you focus on that 1 goal.

So from what you said in your post, it sounds like variety would be just fine for you.
    cosign.

if you have no specifc goals- then change it up as much as you want.
    -
    The more specific your goals become- the more consistent you must be with your training.
  • jen7eleven
    Options
    @jemhh - I agree with choosing three things to start and sticking with that. Thanks for the book recommendations for lifting, I'm glad you mentioned it because it's something I'd like to learn more about. I'm shy/intimidated about asking a trainer for advice at the gym.

@jacksonpt and @jorocka - Right now my goal is to be more active than just pinning and netflix streaming with chips and candy within reach. Thanks for helping me figure this all out. :) In the future, I would like train for more specific goals.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    kjflaherty wrote: »
    I say try everything until you find something you LOVE. I am madly in love with zumba and even kept up with it when I gained all my weight back (stopped tracking, oops). Of course try everything for a few times before you decide you hate it. Hope this is helpful, good luck :)

I agree. Especially the part about trying it a few times. The first couple times trying something new always feels awkward so it's a good idea to push past that intial awkwardness to see if you actually enjoy something.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    jen7eleven wrote: »
    @bostonwolf - Also there, their, and they're. :) I appreciate the advice, and I am going to try to start with that - 3 days a week - and commit until it is a habit. Last night was my first night back in the gym. It took a LOT of convincing not to just stay home and "start tomorrow". I only stayed for 30 mins on the treadmill (mind reader?), but like you said/predicted, I was totally glad I went. I left feeling really proud of my small accomplishment. :D

At least the "theres" sound alike, so I can maybe understand it. Loose and lose sound different, are spelled different...it just baffles me.

This is not a quick fix you're working on. Slow and steady (and adding more time/resistance) are what will get you to the finish line.