Help! No weight loss after 3 years trying.

Options

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ttec72 wrote: »
    Hi All,

This is my first post here, so be kind, and apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. Way back in 2012 I was not happy with my weight and body image, and having been inspired by a work colleagues progress, decided to do something about it.

The first thing I tried was increasing my fitness level, after some research I discovered the Couch to 5K programme approved by the NHS, so I started running a couple of times a week and within a short time I was running 5K on a regular basis.

At the same time I kept an eye on what I was eating, using the advice on many of these posts 'eat less, do more' assuming weight loss would follow. It didn't.

Over the years I have tried all sorts of activities, running was causing me pain from a previous knee injury, joining a gym, cross trainer (lower impact), lifting weights etc. without any results.

I started this journey weighing in at 100Kg, which is where I am now. Obviously I am very frustrated not seeing any results after more than 3 years after exercising regularly and eating well, during which time I have been sporadically logging my foods, however for the past 4 or 5 weeks I have been logging every day, most days under my calorie goal, and I still have not lost any weight.

I was hoping someone may have an idea why my weight loss hasn't happened.

I do weigh all my food, and also log everything I eat, even if it's not that good for me. I have turned my diary on to 'Public', so you should be able to see all the entries.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony

Use the website, enter your information ...site gives you a calorie goal ... hit that goal daily... success
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters and would add that you shouldn't be eating all of your exercise calories (which is what you're doing if you have your Endomondo linked to MFP and are then eating to MFP goal). Exercise calories are routinely overestimated and that can erase whatever deficit you have. Remember your body will make you feel hungry enough to maintain, since that's what it's programmed to do (even with healthier foods). I would recommend only eating to your set goal and if you're ravenous at that amount, try looking into what you're eating (more protein, healthy fats, whole foods will help you feel more full). If you're energy is lacking, go ahead and eat no more than 1/2 of your extra exercise calories. Good luck!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of processed foods in your diary. I bet if you started making more stuff from scratch you would see better results. I know I feel a lot better overall if I eat homemade fries versus store-bought fries. You'll find that you won't have to eat as much of the whole food to feel full either, because you'll be giving your body better nutrients. Try to eat more leafy greens and vegetables, and less breads. Keep sugary foods out of the house, for a couple weeks to start just to see if that makes a difference. If you need carby foods try having oats, potatoes or rice. High-sodium meats also make me super bloated, which can mask any progress I've made because of the water retention. And if you can afford it, get a FitBit. Maybe you aren't burning as many calories as you think you are in a day, so what you are eating is keeping you at maintenance instead of weight loss.

What would the difference be between homemade fried potatoes and fried potatoes that I paid someone else to prepare for me?

MSG for one. And less nutrients. It's like putting sub-par fuel in a sports car. It'll run, but not efficiently.
  • charliesangel13
    charliesangel13 Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Timothyfish
    As my original post shows I have tried lots of different things over the years, just didn't want to write a load of words if not helpful. I have spent almost a year with an intake of 1200 calories a day, with no loss at all.

No, I don't believe that.

It can happen. This has happened to me, too. Thyroid issue here...
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You have a lot of processed foods in your diary. I bet if you started making more stuff from scratch you would see better results. I know I feel a lot better overall if I eat homemade fries versus store-bought fries. You'll find that you won't have to eat as much of the whole food to feel full either, because you'll be giving your body better nutrients. Try to eat more leafy greens and vegetables, and less breads. Keep sugary foods out of the house, for a couple weeks to start just to see if that makes a difference. If you need carby foods try having oats, potatoes or rice. High-sodium meats also make me super bloated, which can mask any progress I've made because of the water retention. And if you can afford it, get a FitBit. Maybe you aren't burning as many calories as you think you are in a day, so what you are eating is keeping you at maintenance instead of weight loss.

None of this will suddenly cause weight loss unless it puts him at a proper calorie deficit.

Homemade =/= calorie deficit. Neither does exclusion of sugary food. These are just things that can be implemented while tracking calories.

At worst, eating out and eating lots of pre-made food will just be high sodium or less accurate for calories. I've lost 31lbs just fine eating everything you are telling OP to cut out, because CICO.

Agreed, I'm not saying it's going to fix his issues overnight, but it will help to set him up for success long-term. And it could leave him feeling more full while eating less calories overall. I know I don't feel nearly as full eating a small store-bought high calorie meal, versus if I make something at home that is similar, but less processed and lower in calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    laura3977 wrote: »
    I don't think you've shared how tall you are but looking @ your stats on your diary, you are a 47 year old male, current weight 100kg. I'm a 38 year old female, current weight 101kg and my maintenance calories are 2000-2200. From what I saw on your diary (in all fairness I only looked at 2-3 days) I'm noticing you are eating at or above 2000 which tells me the issue is that you have been eating @ maintenance.

You say you spent almost a year @ 1200 and lost nothing, that is extremely hard to believe since I did 1200 for about 2 weeks (too low for me so I changed it) and I lost 4 lbs during those 2 weeks. Barring any health related issues that make losing weight not possible without medical intervention, I don't see why you wouldn't lose any weight @ 1200 calories if you are weighing and measuring correctly.

You may need to purchase a new scale because if, like you said, you are weighing your food and entering it correctly then the issue may be on the scale you are using.

Yeah, there is just no way. I can believe he isn't losing weight at 2000 calories, but saying that he tried 1200 calories without success is too farfetched to be believed. I question why anyone would tell us something that we know can't be true. I don't think a different scale is going to fix anything. I sometimes think people come on here and say that they are doing everything people tell them they need to do, not because they've actually done it but because they don't believe that any of that will help and they want people to give them some magic fix.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    OK, share your stats. Height, weight, goal weight.

I can exercise till the cows come home however unless I am eating in a calorie deficit I will not lose weight.

Are you measuring your food in grams on a food scale and not going by the serving sizes on the package?

I'm just the opposite. Unless I work out hard, nothing happens.

OP, you need to consult with a doctor.
  • Ttec72
    Ttec72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Taking what you've said at face value: are you on any medications that might have weight loss side effects? Have you had your thyroid checked?

I have had some medical test recently as I was concerned about not losing weight, nothing abnormal. I have recently been diagnosed with adult asthma, for which I take medication morning and night.
    Timothyfish
    As my original post shows I have tried lots of different things over the years, just didn't want to write a load of words if not helpful. I have spent almost a year with an intake of 1200 calories a day, with no loss at all.

Okay, trying to keep it positive though.
    I don't think you've shared how tall you are but looking @ your stats on your diary, you are a 47 year old male, current weight 100kg. I'm a 38 year old female, current weight 101kg and my maintenance calories are 2000-2200. From what I saw on your diary (in all fairness I only looked at 2-3 days) I'm noticing you are eating at or above 2000 which tells me the issue is that you have been eating @ maintenance.

You say you spent almost a year @ 1200 and lost nothing, that is extremely hard to believe since I did 1200 for about 2 weeks (too low for me so I changed it) and I lost 4 lbs during those 2 weeks. Barring any health related issues that make losing weight not possible without medical intervention, I don't see why you wouldn't lose any weight @ 1200 calories if you are weighing and measuring correctly.

You may need to purchase a new scale because if, like you said, you are weighing your food and entering it correctly then the issue may be on the scale you are using.

I am 42 and 3/4 (it worked for Adrian Mole), 5'11" and 100Kg. When I reduced my intake to approximately 1200 calories a day, I was miserable, hungry and lethargic all the time, but I thought that was required to kick-start my loss.

I will reduce my intake of processed foods. I only like very few vegetables, so choice is limited. Endomondo, which I currently use, appears to be quite accurate for my activities.

I do try to hit my calorie goal more times than not. However, I think I need to revise the amount I eat on days where I exercise. Thanks for the comments so far, really helpful.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Taking what you've said at face value: are you on any medications that might have weight loss side effects? Have you had your thyroid checked?

I have had some medical test recently as I was concerned about not losing weight, nothing abnormal. I have recently been diagnosed with adult asthma, for which I take medication morning and night.
    Timothyfish

Okay, trying to keep it positive though.

I am 42 and 3/4 (it worked for Adrian Mole), 5'11" and 100Kg. When I reduced my intake to approximately 1200 calories a day, I was miserable, hungry and lethargic all the time, but I thought that was required to kick-start my loss.

I will reduce my intake of processed foods. I only like very few vegetables, so choice is limited. Endomondo, which I currently use, appears to be quite accurate for my activities.

I do try to hit my calorie goal more times than not. However, I think I need to revise the amount I eat on days where I exercise. Thanks for the comments so far, really helpful.

The reason you were hungry and lethargic on 1200 calories is because you weren't getting enough nutrients to run your body properly. No man should eat fewer than 1500 calories for an extended period of time. You don't have to give up processed food (though you'd be better off if you did), you just need to eat at a deficit.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You are not logging properly. You need to use a food scale for everything even the liquids. I do not believe you eat exactly 200g, 400g or 100mL of something.

I need to quote myself, so you see my post.
    Log properly.
    You are eating more than you think.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options

My kids say the same thing. My reply to them is that they'd better get used to it because we are going to be eating healthy foods in this house for a very long time! Keep trying new vegetables, and prepare them in new ways. You might surprise yourself by how much you learn to love them!
  • Ttec72
    Options
    You are not logging properly. You need to use a food scale for everything even the liquids. I do not believe you eat exactly 200g, 400g or 100mL of something.

I need to quote myself, so you see my post.
    Log properly.
    You are eating more than you think.

sorry jennifershoo, didn't miss you on purpose. I agree I need to revise how I weigh everything. A question though, how do you weigh and then log liquid items that are not water?

• Ttec72
    Options

My kids say the same thing. My reply to them is that they'd better get used to it because we are going to be eating healthy foods in this house for a very long time! Keep trying new vegetables, and prepare them in new ways. You might surprise yourself by how much you learn to love them!

Thanks krunchymama, I will take your advice onbboard
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What would the difference be between homemade fried potatoes and fried potatoes that I paid someone else to prepare for me?

MSG for one. And less nutrients. It's like putting sub-par fuel in a sports car. It'll run, but not efficiently.

How is MSG going to interfere with weight loss?

And I'm not sure how -- widely speaking -- nutrients are lost when I pay someone else to fry potatoes for me. Are there some places where a fried potato may have fewer nutrients than one I fry myself? Absolutely. But I don't get how this makes sense as a blanket statement.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had a little look at your diary...
    I think you might be misjudging your calories!
    My 180mls of semi-skimmed milk is 90 calories...how is your 300mls 70?

I honestly think you just need to be a bit more conscious of what your eating. If you have *honestly* been eating 1200 for the last year and havent lost any weight at all theres obviously something adding wrong or the scales need new batteries!

At a tiny 5ft 1inches Ive lost 55lbs in the last 2 years..by accurately logging EVERYTHING that went near my mouth!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So many generic or store/restaurant made entries. I agree that you are probably eating way more than you think you are.

I also picked up on the milk entry. Semi skimmed milk has more calories here! I work in kilojoules but 300mls here is more like 480kj compared to the under 300kj yours was listed at (your diary shows in kj for me).
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

And I'm not sure how -- widely speaking -- nutrients are lost when I pay someone else to fry potatoes for me. Are there some places where a fried potato may have fewer nutrients than one I fry myself? Absolutely. But I don't get how this makes sense as a blanket statement.

You aren't talking to me but I wanted to add something. When you pay someone to cook for you they want it to taste good....so they are probably more likely to add more oil/butter/sugar/whatever to make it taste better. And they aren't going to tell you "I used X grams of butter" so you're really guessing at the calories you're eating. It's much safer to cook your own food (in terms of knowing what you're actually eating).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You aren't talking to me but I wanted to add something. When you pay someone to cook for you they want it to taste good....so they are probably more likely to add more oil/butter/sugar/whatever to make it taste better. And they aren't going to tell you "I used X grams of butter" so you're really guessing at the calories you're eating. It's much safer to cook your own food (in terms of knowing what you're actually eating).

That's totally true. But it would be attributable to the ingredients that are in the food. Home-cooking -- other than letting you know exactly what is in the food -- isn't going to create a calorie deficit. And it has nothing to do with nutrient loss.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I only use the MFP database half the time because it's WRONG A LOT.

I calculate in my head from the package/tin/box and double check things.

It makes everything that gets thrown into my cake hole valuable and accounted for.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not far off 100kg myself (I'm 96.1kg this morning). I'm not a male. However if i ate as much as you I would be gaining a fair amount of weight, or at least maintaining with decent exercise.

At 96kg I am losing 2-3 lbs per week on 5024kj/1200cal. I do a fair whack of weight lifting (heavy with olympic bar and plates) and when I walk I push miss 2 who is 14kg and carry master 4 who is 18.5kg on my back.