Parents of autistic/special needs kids

Options

Replies

• hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yesterday We did onesie Wednesday at the school i work in and the children were able to talk to me and ask questions about autism. We all came into school in our onesie to show that we are all different. We raised money for the National Autistic Society. It was lovely to see the children so interested in our problems and difficulties when they have so many of their own. (I work in a residential school for children who have been taken from their parents by social services because of inappropriate up bringing). With the increase of ASD being diagnosed, i think it was only appropriate to educate the children of ASD as chances are, they will meet people with ASD within their life time and they need to learn that these kids are not naughty or frightening, just wonderfully different!
  • XxNataleighXx
    XxNataleighXx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I have 3 children I have one on the autistic spectrum too I have 6,5 and 11weeks feel free to add xx
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a 12 year old with asd, and a 2 year old. It's a real struggle to make time for me, but I know that I feel so much healthier than when my son was a toddler, when I was several stones heavier. I have to treat my gym time like any other timetabled activity that has to happen, and I'm fortunate my husband supports that (though he thinks it's a bit odd). My son is obese as he doesn't really know when he's had enough, and for a long time the only thing that motivated him to do anything was food. I am so proud that he asked to come jogging with me in september and we have done a 3 mile jog every Sunday since ( bar 2). - it's not fast but we do it.
    -
  • JoMamaATL
    JoMamaATL Posts: 70
    Options
    My son is the opposite- he looked like an American/Ethiopian child bc he is so skinny. Almost mal-nourished looking! He only eats about 5 different foods right now, but he eats and eats! doctors say he is fine, but when he is in the backyard playing in just a diaper and covered in mud I worry that people will think the poor child just escaped from our dungeon!
  • literique
    literique Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    JoMamaATL wrote: »
    My son is the opposite- he looked like an American/Ethiopian child bc he is so skinny. Almost mal-nourished looking! He only eats about 5 different foods right now, but he eats and eats! doctors say he is fine, but when he is in the backyard playing in just a diaper and covered in mud I worry that people will think the poor child just escaped from our dungeon!

Haha. Screw what people think ;)
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My three year old is on the autistic spectrum and despite having very little fat on him is in the overweight and nearly obese range by BMI. He never stops moving and because of his sensory stimulation he is just super muscular for a 3 year old.

I usually get up at 4:45 on gym days so I can get my gym on while he's still in bed.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My son had "nonspecific disorder" . He would probably have been on the autistic spectrum today. He was in every kind of therapy you can imagine. We found that sports and doing various physical activities with him helped him. So when he was younger much of my exercise was chasing behind his bike, going to the swimming pool or roller skating rink with him or just tossing or kicking a ball around together. As he grew up he enjoyed the more solitary sports like cross country, wrestling and track and field. He is now in college. Yes they do grow up and it does get hard to let go sometimes.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and while doctors have suggested he might be on the low end of the spectrum, he hasn't been officially diagnosed but he is very behaviorally difficult. Things are improving but for the first 7 years it's been enormously emotionally (and sometimes physically) exhausting. One of my biggest motivations for lifting weights, actually, was that he sometimes needs to be physically removed from a situation and I had to be able to keep up with carrying him.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

i have a kid with a sensory processing disorder, and his diet is super limited. its something we are always working on, but during times of stress, he reverts to a very short list of foods. Our pediatrician has him on chewable flintstones with iron (the "complete" ones are good as well) and I give him Omega 3 gummies occasionally.

Anyways, just wanted to share, I also have a weird eater. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    BTW- just for funsies, what does your kid eat? I have found the kids I have met with similar issues usually have eerily similar diets.
  • JoMamaATL
    Options
    BTW- just for funsies, what does your kid eat? I have found the kids I have met with similar issues usually have eerily similar diets.

Ok! Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in the morning. Tons of Bananas. Dry Apple jacks. Cheese pizza.
  • melimomTARDIS
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ok! Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in the morning. Tons of Bananas. Dry Apple jacks. Cheese pizza.

Not bad! he is hitting more groups than my kid used to.

My son's ultimate safe foods (he has a longer list of acceptable foods now, but these are the safest)

trix cereal

white milk (NEVER CHOCOLATE!)

colby jack cheese

bread

crackers/pretzels/popcorn

yellow apples, completely peeled

orange juice/apple juice

peter pan peanut butter

vanilla ice cream
  • lbkingcu
    lbkingcu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have a 4 year old with Autism and sensory processing disorder. He is the light of my life but boy can it be hard sometimes. Just remember, to take care of them you have to take care of you too! Feel free to add :)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    My son is nearly 18. I just want to send some hugs and tell you that things get better. He always had delays and 'issues', but wasn't diagnosed (ASD, ADD plus other learning disabilities) until he was 14. He was non-verbal until about 4, had the usual sensory issues and meltdowns, but things started to improve as his language skills developed. He didn't really have many friends when he was younger, but now has a small circle of good friends, and (a miracle!) has somehow got himself a girlfriend. He will graduate regular high school this year - something I could NEVER have imagined when he was 5.
    He's still socially awkward, but he knows it and has learned strategies to work around it. Getting and keeping a job is going to be our next challenge, but I trust the process now, and believe it can and will happen.

Someone sent me this the other day, and I found it quite enlightening:
    http://www.judyendow.com/autistic-behavior/autistic-adults-do-not-look-like-autistic-children/
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My son will not touch a raw tomato although he likes tomato spaghetti sauce.

• JoMamaATL
    Options
    http://realmrhousewife.com/2015/03/27/jacqueline-laurita-open-letter-jane-wong/

Ms Wong should thank the autism spectrum. Without people who can focus on one thing without caring for social aspects of life she wouldn't have an Internet or smart phone to spew hate on!
  • erindemers2015
    erindemers2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have 2 boys, a 6 yr and 2 yr old. My 6 yr old is suspected Autism, ADHD combined and possibly ODD. He is having a very tough Kindergarten year.
    I start each day with renewed energy to lose weight and feel healthier and then 3.00 pm hits, my energy plummets and I eat Nutella with a spoon. Pls add me and we can help each other! :))
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just needing some advice. ..
    My 8 year old is going through a phase of bed wetting. It's not like him and sometimes bringing the conversation up with him tends to be a trigger.
    What can i do? Has anyone else gone through this?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    We have 4 kids-one has adhd-hyperactive and anxiety, one has behaviour issues alike to ODD (stepson), and our 5 year old has adhd, anxiety, had two autism assessments at age 3 and 4 and had "neurodevelopmental disorder unspecified" which is crap. He is very similar to being on the spectrum on many aspects, some not. We have asd in our family on both sides.

Anyone add me as a friend if you like :)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old eats plain bread and jam sandwiches every single day. Sometimes adds PB. He also like mushroom soup, perogies, buns (hotdog/hamburger) with ketchup and no meat. He likes rice krispies, and apples/bananas. Apples more so...oh, and rice with soy sauce. He will eat berries. In fact, he will steal all of them when you aren't looking. lol You won't ever get any other veggies or colourful items near him, lol.