BMR and Polar heart monitor

I was just reading about on another post about how the Polar watch can calculate BMR. I just got the F4 and was wondering if anyone could tell me how this is done. I could, of course, read the directions but I'm not that kind of girl. I usually figure it out by fiddling around until I land upon the answer...

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• holly333
    holly333 Posts: 24 Member
    I was just reading about on another post about how the Polar watch can calculate BMR. I just got the F4 and was wondering if anyone could tell me how this is done. I could, of course, read the directions but I'm not that kind of girl. I usually figure it out by fiddling around until I land upon the answer...

Any help would be appreciated!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Where's songbyrdsweet when you need her!?:smile:
    Cowboy
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Hehe..here I am :laugh:

I actually have the F11. It doesn't calculate your BMR though. It does a Fit Test to measure your resting heart rate and compares that to the resting heart rates of other people of various activity levels to estimate your level of training (Poor to Elite). If you wear it all day on the exercise setting, it can tell you how many calories you've burnt, but that's not exactly your BMR. You'd have to wear it while lying in bed all day to find that. :)
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Boss,

I report that I am going to sleep for the next 48 hours so that I can determine what my BMR is. Please do not disturb me with any phone calls or emails, or my test will be faulty and I will need to repeat it again. Please don’t expect me in until Thur morning.

Signed,
    Me

I bet your BMR changes too often to ever really get a good estimate. There are just too many factors involved (whether your body thinks its starving, what your activity level was that day, types of foods you ate).

I think you should just stick to what programs like MFP do for you. If you eat what it says, but are not losing... change you activity level to something lower. If you lower it to the minimum (desk driver), then your probably not being honest with the size proportions your eating. That serving size is a killer! I about died when I say that one serving of raisins was 150 some calories or that 18 nuts was a serving.

Tim
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member

I actually have the F11. It doesn't calculate your BMR though. It does a Fit Test to measure your resting heart rate and compares that to the resting heart rates of other people of various activity levels to estimate your level of training (Poor to Elite). If you wear it all day on the exercise setting, it can tell you how many calories you've burnt, but that's not exactly your BMR. You'd have to wear it while lying in bed all day to find that. :)

Man! You are like "Wonder Woman"! Always there when we need you!
    Cowboy
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member

Wow, long time no see! :heart:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member

Wondering where you were. I did 2 fit tests with mine. The one where I had a lower HR gave me a worse reading, so I couldn't figure it out.