Morning Motivation

Options
How do people who work out in the morning motivate themselves to get up out of bed and to the gym (or outside or in front of the DVD player, etc.)? I have such a hard time waking up in the morning when the alarm goes off. No matter how prepared I am... clothes set out the night before, bag packed, go to bed early... nothing helps.

Looking for suggestions on how to train my body to wake up earlier....

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Get to bed early regularly- one or two nights won't do it.
    -
    And then I set like 5 alarms- and I tell myself I'm a fat lazy a22hole if I don't get up.

it works about 25% of the time.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I second the going to bed early and regularly. If I don't get to bed early, then all bets are off. I also try not to make it a choice. Like showering in the morning - not really a choice I make every morning, I just do it. I try to get up and work out without thinking of it as a choice.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    My problem is I go to bed early ONCE- toss and turn for like an hour- don't sleep well- wake up a lot- then complain
    - "SEE I WENT TO BED EARLY AND IT DIDN"T DO ANYTHING.

reality is- REGULARLY going to bed early is the trick- one night doesn't do anything for you.

And of which I'm horribly at doing that- which is why getting up in the AM is complete and utter torture.
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to get up as I have never been a morning person and getting to work at 8am is a struggle. By accepting that I am not a person who can wake up at 5am and workout and finding time to do it during lunch and after work with my kids and all, I have found greater success because it is sustainable for me. You got some great feedback from the early risers above, so I thought I would offer another option :-)
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Set your phone/alarm clock away from the bed. Put it somewhere far enough away from you that you have to get up to turn it off. At least this is what I do and once I'm up I go to the bathroom, and by that point I'm too awake to go back to sleep. But everyone is different.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Set your phone/alarm clock away from the bed. Put it somewhere far enough away from you that you have to get up to turn it off. At least this is what I do and once I'm up I go to the bathroom, and by that point I'm too awake to go back to sleep. But everyone is different.

My BF called and woke me up- so I got up- walked into the kitchen (still on the phone) made coffee (like the filter- the water- not just turned on the pot) and after we hung up I walked back to my room and fell back asleep.

Yeah- that trick DEFINITELY doesn't work for everyone LOL
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Step one, commit to a fitness goal. Now, when I say commit, I mean commit like you would when you tell your best friend you’ll pick them up at the airport at 5am. Guess where you are at 5am? Yes, because you committed to something (or in this case someone) you care about.

Step two, plan ahead. Have everything set up for a quick dress and go. Also, go to bed early enough to ensure you’re getting enough sleep (very important).

Step three, know thyself. I set my alarm clock where I have to stand up and walk across the room to turn it off. I also have a wife who I don’t want to wake up. The result, I usually wake up before the alarm goes off.

Other things that can help:
    - Have someone else who will hold you accountable (work out buddy, trainer, or MFP friends).
    - Avoid caffeine and alcohol or anything else that will disrupt your sleep.
    - Don’t beat yourself up if you miss here and there. If I didn’t rest well, I value sleep over the workout (it is a stress, cortisol and testosterone thing). Just re-establish your priorities and hit it the next morning.
    - Hopefully, the workouts are something you generally enjoy. If not, explore whether there are other things you can do to meet your goal that you’d enjoy more (e.g., a group class vs working alone).
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

This is what I do, or at least I used to before insomnia started waking me up at 2 a.m. every.damn.day. If my alarm was within reach, I'd hit snooze over & over & over again.

Now that I'm always up before the a$$crack of dawn, I figure I might as well use the time to work out.

• Mrsallen6_11
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But everyone is different.

My BF called and woke me up- so I got up- walked into the kitchen (still on the phone) made coffee (like the filter- the water- not just turned on the pot) and after we hung up I walked back to my room and fell back asleep.

My husband is like. But like I said, everyone is different and you have to find what works best for you.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I gave up working out in the morning. That time just was not good for me because I would hit snooze all of the time and tell myself well if you get up in 5 minutes you can have X amount of time to work out. The workout for me never got done. I had to switch to the evening.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have to set 2 alarms because I rarely wake up on the first one & I hit snooze in my sleep. I have my clothes & shoes right beside my bed so it's easy to pull them on. Hit the bathroom, then put the DVD in & get water while it loads.

The biggest thing was having a workout I was looking forward to doing. I have DVD workouts that I really enjoy so they're a great way to start my morning.

That being said, there's no reason you HAVE to get up in the morning. It won't work for everyone & if working out in the evening works for you, stick with that :)

*edited for spelling
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've always been a morning person, so I don't know if this will help. But it's more of a mental thing for me. I like to exercise, but for me it's nice to know that doing my workout first thing in the morning means I won't have excuses for not doing it later in the day (too much homework, want to hang out with friends, etc.). After 8 months of MFP it's just a habit to wake up at 7:30, change right into exercise clothes, and work out.
  • JoRocka
    Options

My husband is like. But like I said, everyone is different and you have to find what works best for you.

Yeaaahhh when BF dearest and I move in- we are going to have some problems- mostly because he's a one alarm kinda guy- and I have like... 5. It's pathetic.

if you look up "not a morning person" in the dictionary- you'll see something along the lines of "see also Jo"
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options

Yeaaahhh when BF dearest and I move in- we are going to have some problems- mostly because he's a one alarm kinda guy- and I have like... 5. It's pathetic.

if you look up "not a morning person" in the dictionary- you'll see something along the lines of "see also Jo"

He'll probably do you like my husbands sometimes does me (especially during the week days lol). Help you get up by just pushing you out of bed lol.
  • JoRocka
    Options

He'll probably do you like my husbands sometimes does me (especially during the week days lol). Help you get up by just pushing you out of bed lol.

probably- LOL- when i DO get to sleep in- and he is up (very rarely) before me- he'll make me breakfast and coffee and bring me coffee. Which is a hell of way to wake up for sure LOL
    Regular days- I guess I'm *kitten* out of luck.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options

probably- LOL- when i DO get to sleep in- and he is up (very rarely) before me- he'll make me breakfast and coffee and bring me coffee. Which is a hell of way to wake up for sure LOL

Ha at least you found one who can work the coffee machine lol. He can scramble some darn good eggs though.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Ha at least you found one who can work the coffee machine lol. He can scramble some darn good eggs though.
    bah- the pool is full of really crappy fish- if you find one good at something and makes you happy- you take it and learn to make your own coffee- and or alarm clock LOL :D
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Options

bah- the pool is full of really crappy fish- if you find one good at something and makes you happy- you take it and learn to make your own coffee- and or alarm clock LOL :D

lol true :heart:.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    following.

for me, setting an alarm clock far away helps most. i saw one that goes off and has wheels, it literally rolls away and you have to find it to shut it off lol

i usually open my blinds up too, bring the sunlight in. however, in the winter that isn't always helpful.

i find making my bed helps too. it gives me satisfaction knowing i completed a task so early in the morning. plus, if my bed is made, i am a lot less likely to jump in it and go back to sleep bc im a lazy *kitten* that hates making beds....and no, i wasn't always a bed maker lol

if all else fails, force yourself to take a shower. that usually works for most.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    or, hey, if the first thing u do in the morning is take your bedding to wash all of it, then you probably wont find going back to sleep appealing..that would take a lot of effort to find the linens and plus even if you did do it, id be willing to bet you would be too awake to go back to sleep ;)