Calorie intake and Breastfeeding

Options
Sorry if this post offends anyone, but I am just trying to lose weight and keep my baby fed. :)
I have heard mixed opinions on caloric intake while nursing. As a rule of thumb, ive heard that a nursing mother shouldn't consume less than 2,000 calories a day. And that any calories burned during exercise should be added back in and consumed. Otherwise your supply can drop and your body will hold onto fat.
Any mamas have advise on this? Any specific methods work for you?

Replies

• StephMDtoo
    StephMDtoo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind breastfeeding can help with some weight loss, as it causes the uterus to contract back into shape. Talk to a lactation nurse, a local hospital may even have a support group for mamas who have good advice too. I focused more on just eating well and when I worked out I did light weights and very easy cardio, like taking the baby for a walk. Are you struggling with your milk supply?
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the baby! I know I didn't try to "actively" lose weight while nursing my 2 kids until at least they were 10 weeks old, minimum. I actually waited until they were probably 12 weeks old. I had a bit of a 'paranoia' regarding losing my supply.
    Anyways- once I actively started trying to lose weight, I was doing WW and made sure to check of "nursing"- i think they added in 300-500 cals a day(?). I also made sure to add back in exercise cals and I think on average I ate back about 1/2.
    I'm not sure how I'd work it with MFP.. I would probably do a custom goal setting, not one of their recommended ones. I do that now. I use http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

to calculate my daily calorie amount. I use a "little to no activity" setting. You could use that calculator as a starting point, and add in 500 cals to start. If you aren't getting results after a couple weeks, and don't have supply issues, you could drop 100 cals from your daily target. Go from there. One important thing is to keep hydrated well. you need a good amount more water daily while nursing compared to when not nursing. I also found that there were days my hunger was just beyond reason. So I listened to my body and ate. Healthy, real foods. No fat free/sugar free stuff. just smaller sizes of all the "regular" stuff I loved. I didn't lose it fast, but back then I did lose all 45+ of weight gained during each pregnancy. (my current weight has nothing to do with pregnancy weigh! it's all 'me'!)

Good luck!
  • hellodiane
    hellodiane Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No, I have a good supply established, but I am not losing the weight even though I am eating healthy. I waited until my son was 3 months old before I actively started trying to lose weight.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's just harder to lose while nursing. I had friends who dropped some without trying, then hit the proverbial "wall" and not much made their scale budge, until they weaned. I was lucky I think more than anything else. I know that a large chunk of my pregnancy weight was in swelling. I was swollen like a tick from month 4 on till birth. So it was 'easier' for me to lose the weight, nursing pulled a lot of that water out of me!
    Does your ob/gyn or ped's office have a lactation consultant? they could probably help you out with a great nursing nutrition plan. Of if your insurance would cover it you could see a nutritionist as well,
  • hellodiane
    hellodiane Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, ladies! My OBGYN does offer LC services and I made an appointment. Seems like my friends just dropped weight like it was nothing and here I am just hanging out in "nothing is happening" purgatory. I am SO grateful to have the ability to BF. and I wouldn't trade that for the world. I would be happy with 4 pounds a month at this point. haha.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its a common topic. Try using the search function to see the responses for the many times this has been aswered as they contain good information.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Some people drop weight fast while breastfeeding. Others aren't so lucky. A while back someone posted an article on here that explained all the hormone levels nursing mothers have and why some women struggle to lose weight while nursing.

I am nursing my 4 month old. I have my MFP calories set at maintenance and I do not account for breastfeeding. I eat back all of my exercise calories. At this point, my workouts are the same level of intensity they were before I was pregnant. My calorie deficit is what I burn breastfeeding.

I have been tracking for about 5 weeks now and have lost 3 pounds. It is slow and I have a lot of weight to lose, but I will get there eventually.