Pre-Work out

Options
Hi Everyone.
I like to work out early in the morning (before work) usually between 530am and 630am (What can I say? I'm a morning person!)

That being said, I don't like to eat breakfast before I work out, because no one likes working out on a full belly, and I'm not going to wake up at 4am just to eat.

Does anyone have any advice for a pre-workout drink or smoothie or juice or something that has some energy, and calories so I don't lose steam. I've noticed I don't have as much "Get up and go!" on an empty stomach.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Nicole.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Caffeine. Use it, love it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    coffee - the pre-workout of champions.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee before I head out for most of my morning runs.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    For morning workouts, I generally just eat some relatively simple carbs an hour or so beforehand. Toast and honey or a banana are two of my go-tos. Everybody's different, 'tho.
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym around 4am... I like the pre-workout C4
  • zombiegirlfriend
    zombiegirlfriend Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Thank you for the QUICK responses. I think I am the one person in the world who doesn't like coffee (believe me, I've tried...) but I might try a banana!!

Also, I'm going to research C4 - does it ever make you jittery?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I think I am the one person in the world who doesn't like coffee (believe me, I've tried...)

Join the club -- I also find coffee disgusting (love the smell, but the taste...bleech!). Tea also works if you need a bit o' caffeine in the morning.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym around 4am... I like the pre-workout C4

Same. C4 is one of the few that doesn't give me jitters but have to take it with something in my stomach. Just something small like a cheese stick. Also will make you itchy a little. I heard some people have more reaction to the Beta Alanine then others.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Also a fan of C4. Especially when Costco has the 2-pack deal. Don't use it too frequently, but it seems to do a good job giving a little extra wake up. No jitters, but yes, the Beta Alanine itch is very much present to me, though my wife seems to not notice it at all.
  • motorsportcfd
    Options
    I will agree with those that have suggested C4. C4 is great, it's not a whole lot of fluid, and I take it (or any other PreWO) with 15-30g of oyster crackers (just to get something other than fluid in my stomach). I don't get jittery from it either.

C4 gives me a pretty decent boost, but I switched to PreJYM about a year ago which is a little stronger and a much larger serving than C4. (C4 is 4-8oz of water, PreJYM is 12-16oz). I am a big fan of both C4 and PreJYM (not together, of course). They both have a strong history of working well for me. C4 comes in more flavors - the margarita one is amazing, my girlfriend swears blue razz is even better but I have yet to try that one. I prefer the Cherry-Limeade flavor of PreJYM...raspberry lemonade reminds me of some awful medicine I took as a child.

Jack3d used to be great, but it was reformulated a few years ago and the new formula has little more effect than a 8.4oz can of RedBull for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Also, just be aware that people will react different to the different stims, so whatever you decide to try, try it in small doses first. Getting jittery under a heavy bar can be nerve wracking.
  • zombiegirlfriend
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Getting jittery under a heavy bar can be nerve wracking.
    Yes. When I first started working, I wasn't taking in ENOUGH calories (which was really hard to wrap my head around as a chronically fat person) and pounded a Monster Energy Drink, after working a 10 hour day... yeah, not only was I jittery, but I was shakey... bad combination lol I avoided lifting for a while after that.

• Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use Vega preworkout. It's not the best tasting thing in the world but it works and I don't crash after. I also find that I workout better when I'm hydrated so drinking the preworkout with 12 or 16oz of water instead of the 6 recommended works best for me.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will agree with those that have suggested C4. C4 is great, it's not a whole lot of fluid, and I take it (or any other PreWO) with 15-30g of oyster crackers (just to get something other than fluid in my stomach). I don't get jittery from it either.

C4 gives me a pretty decent boost, but I switched to PreJYM about a year ago which is a little stronger and a much larger serving than C4. (C4 is 4-8oz of water, PreJYM is 12-16oz). I am a big fan of both C4 and PreJYM (not together, of course). They both have a strong history of working well for me. C4 comes in more flavors - the margarita one is amazing, my girlfriend swears blue razz is even better but I have yet to try that one. I prefer the Cherry-Limeade flavor of PreJYM...raspberry lemonade reminds me of some awful medicine I took as a child.

Jack3d used to be great, but it was reformulated a few years ago and the new formula has little more effect than a 8.4oz can of RedBull for me.

I agree pre jym is excellent. Cherry limeade is definitely the better option. There'll be more flavors and a larger container option pretty soon as well, I think Jim said he'll be releasing them in April. Check out his YouTube video on pre jym, pretty informative. Also, you can only find it on bodybuilding.com.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy. I dunno if it's the best...but it doesn't taste bad, is inexpensive and doesn't make me jittery.
  • zombiegirlfriend
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate your insight!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Caffine pill, BCAA powder drink, L-arginine, B vitamins.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I like a half serving of Mr hyde. The beta alanine in a full serving tends to make me itch.

I like to drink BCAA during my workout. For some reason, drinking something with flavor tends to encourage me to drink more (actually finish 32oz within the hour).