technique question - overhead press

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
Except for the squat rack, our barbells are at waist level. Obviously, our dumbbells are down low, too.

I moved up to dumbbells at 25 each for overhead presses today, and it felt great - except for getting them from my waist into position for the presses. I'm sure it will be suggested that I move to a barbell but I think the issue is the same. What movement do you use to get the bar up to position to do your presses? I felt very awkward trying to lift the dumbbells - like I was going to pull something just getting into position, lol. I can't bicep curl 25 pounds (I do 20 or 17.5 if I'm feeling less ambitious), especially at the end of the hour like today). Thoughts? Am I overthinking (I do that).

Replies

• rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I OHP using my power cage, I just line the barbell up at the right height, load the weight on, walk into the barbell, lift it off of the rack and go. I think you have outgrow the dumbells and need to move onto a barbell by the sounds of it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You mean there is no rack so you can properly load a barbell? Then maybe try seated overhead presses with dumbbells?
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    @rawstrongchick‌ thank you! I will try that.
    @aggelikik‌ I don't think so but I'm not confident about my answer. I'd better ask.
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-overhead-press-with-correct-technique/

There is a video on the page and from 11:14 he shows you how he sets up and then walks into the barbell. This is what I do!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Just figured out a more confident answer to the rack question. Forgive the lack of appropriate gym jargon - still learning. There are two racks - knee height - that I see people using to load their bar. No way to get those bars up to shoulder level, though. Also, the barbells I was referring to are already pre-weighted and on a multi-bar rack of some kind, much like the dumbbells. So, again, no way in the design to get them high without just hoisting them up there.

I appreciate the video and will take a look at how you do it. I bet I'll be sore the first couple of times, because using the bar restricts your arm movements on the way up, right? It's essentially a different lift altogether from pressing dumbbells. Is this a fair statement?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If you are using dumbbells you can swing them backward and then use the momentum to curl them up to your shoulders. Watch videos of strongmen getting the circus dumbbell up to their shoulder.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Just figured out a more confident answer to the rack question. Forgive the lack of appropriate gym jargon - still learning. There are two racks - knee height - that I see people using to load their bar. No way to get those bars up to shoulder level, though. Also, the barbells I was referring to are already pre-weighted and on a multi-bar rack of some kind, much like the dumbbells. So, again, no way in the design to get them high without just hoisting them up there.

I appreciate the video and will take a look at how you do it. I bet I'll be sore the first couple of times, because using the bar restricts your arm movements on the way up, right? It's essentially a different lift altogether from pressing dumbbells. Is this a fair statement?

To get a barbell up up from floor height to OHP position is basically what is called a "power clean". It's a great lift, but I'd recommend some instruction to learn how to do it properly -- it's a relatively complex set of movements to get right.

You can also "clean" dumbbells. Takes more than a little coordination to do it right, but that's true for dumbbells in general.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i have sat backwards on the bench press and loaded off that before, when i haven't had access to a cage. Of course they will be a seated OHP, but it works. I used it that way during my knee rehab too, when i couldn't put weight on my knee for a standing OHP.

as far as a bar versus dumbells, its not much of a different lift except with the bar you get more stability and can go heavier. I train both ways, dumbell and barbell.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I watched a guy yesterday who was doing a seated OH incline press with dumbbells - he set them on his knees and used a quick leg-up to get them into position. I am going to try that next workout where that set comes up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i have sat backwards on the bench press and loaded off that before, when i haven't had access to a cage. Of course they will be a seated OHP, but it works. I used it that way during my knee rehab too, when i couldn't put weight on my knee for a standing OHP.

as far as a bar versus dumbells, its not much of a different lift except with the bar you get more stability and can go heavier. I train both ways, dumbell and barbell.
    nods.

OHP/CURL/SITTING GM- all can be done from the bench.
    maxit wrote: »
    I watched a guy yesterday who was doing a seated OH incline press with dumbbells - he set them on his knees and used a quick leg-up to get them into position. I am going to try that next workout where that set comes up.

Nods. Careful you don't schwack yourself in the face- but this is an option as well. Although I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner/newer person- odds are if you don't know how to get heavy weight somewhere- you probably shouldn't be moving that weight- newbs +momentum = bad news bears.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »

nods.

OHP/CURL/SITTING GM- all can be done from the bench.
    maxit wrote: »

Nods. Careful you don't schwack yourself in the face- but this is an option as well. Although I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner/newer person- odds are if you don't know how to get heavy weight somewhere- you probably shouldn't be moving that weight- newbs +momentum = bad news bears.

Lol please add complete lack of coordination to that equation. Thx.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Clean the weight into rack position and then press overhead.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the power clean? It is easier with a barbell than it would be with dumbbells, but with a little practice and good form, you should be able to clean more weight than you can press.

This tutorial is a hang clean which is easier for beginners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXHo9E9sEA

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For seated dumbbell press put the dumbbells on your legs, just slightly past halfway.

You can kick both up at once but when you get to heavier weights it's usually best to use your knees and arms to kick them up onto your shoulders one at a time.

Once they are both up on your shoulders they are ready to go.

Practice with lighter weights first and slowly increase the weight session by session, you don't want to injure yourself!

These are my second favourite exercise after strict standing OHP.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    you can also OHP a kettlebell which i personally think is easier to throw up into position than a dumbell. You can also do single arm OHP with a dumbbell and use your free hand to assist it up to position and spot yourself.