What to do with Swiss Chard?

Options
13»

Replies

• vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The very besst thing about Swiss Chard is it doesn't go to seed on the first hot day. It lasts till frost if you just cut the outter leaves.
    I use the ribs like asparagus and the leaves like spinach. The last I had I juiced with an apple to make it taste better (really too green for my eyes)
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Throw that B into the blender (three leaves de-stalked) with some water (about a cup) at the highest speed until you just have green juice (no visible particles) add some mango and pineapple (I like it when the fruit is frozen, about 3 cups total) and a banana and BAM! The best smoothie ever.

ETA: I got so excited I forgot the recipe to my favorite smoothie?!!?
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im not a big leaf eater but we always get a few bunches of chard and kale from our CSA box each week so I like to find ways to sneak them into meals. This recipe is good if you have a lot of calories to use plus it tastes delicious (who doesnt like cream?) http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sauteed_swiss_chard_ribs_with_cream_and_pasta/ I of course added at least a half bunch of chard leaves to go with the ribs and it turned out well.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but I read in a magazine (either Eating Well or Cooking Light) that if you massage the leaves (this goes for Kale and perhaps Collard Greens too) for a bit, it'll break down the bitterness in the leaves.

My friend brought some soup over with it and it was a bean/broth-based soup. It was SO good! I've also read it's good with Canellini beans and garlic in a stir fry. I think once you make some basic recipes, you'll find a lot of variations such as that. I get it a lot in Winter in my CSA box and look forward to saving these recipes!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    compost it!

I'm a keen gardener, but I hate the stuff. Good luck with finding recipes.
  • skgeis
    skgeis Posts: 1
    Options
    My go-to recipe is to slice onions and the stalk and saute that in some olive oil until they start are soft and start to caramelize. Then add either honey or agave syrup and continue to let that cook. Then add the cut up swiss chard and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
  • bethmarcotte
    Options
    The only way that I cook chard is to saute the leaves in garlic and a small amount of olive oil until wilted. Then, add diced/shredded chicken breast and chicken stock. Simmer until most of the stock has been cooked off. Season to taste. Serve over brown rice. Note: I don't use the stalk - it's too bitter.
  • Skwhiting64
    Skwhiting64 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of swiss chard but a couple weeks ago had an abundance in my Bountiful Basket. Also had a lot of kale from the garden that needed picking. Blanced both with some parsley and spinach, blended it up with a small amount of water to make it pourable and froze the whole mess in ice cube trays. Now when I make a smoothie I just pop in a couple green ice cubes. Don't taste it at all. Got rid of a lot of produce that otherwise might have been tossed into the compost bin.