Unhealthy Food = Feeling Bad

Options
For the last few weeks, I've been slowly trading my unhealthy eating habits with healthy eating habits. It's been going good so far. But today, I had a cheesesteak and fries for lunch, and I felt kinda sick afterwards. I guess this is a good thing. I guess my body is getting used to the healthier foods.

Replies

• Michael_Smerbeck
    Michael_Smerbeck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not only did I feel physically uncomfortable afterwards, I did feel guilty as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep listening to your body. :) And stop listening to your head that talks you into feeling "guilty."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    food shouldn't make you feel guilty.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What is healthy or unhealthy is relative to your overall diet and personal goals. You say you have been doing well so far - that's great! A cheesesteak is not inherently unhealthy and it not something that you should beat yourself up about. If it fit into your calories for the day, then that's great. If you went over, then log it, move on and make a different choice tomorrow.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I agree with this but...

There's a difference, in my opinion, between guilt and shame. Guilt is usually short-lived and related to what you DID. Shame has a long lifespan and is related to who you ARE.

A little guilt can be a good thing, as in "I ate something that wasn't good for me and didn't make me feel good. I wish I hadn't done that."

Shame is really dangerous, as in "I ate something that wasn't good for me. I'm a terrible person and a diet failure."

It's OK to regret a dietary choice. Just learn from it, remember that it made you feel gross, and move on with your life.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of bad days last week. A few days into my unhealthy eating, I realised I felt absolutely awful. I wasn't sleeping right, I was aching all over, my stomach hurt, I just felt crap. I've gone back to eating properly again and feel so much better. But odds are I'll make the same mistake again. Could probably do with reminding myself how gross it makes me feel!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Unless you stole it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not only did I feel physically uncomfortable afterwards, I did feel guilty as well.

Good lord.
    no- you didn't feel uncomfortable because the food was "bad"
    - Unhealthy food =/=feeling bad.

what happened is you cut out a bunch of stuff- probably carbs and fats (those are the two biggies- red meat gets tossed in there too).

And then you went and had a big greasy carby sammich- of COURSE your body had a negative reaction. What did you expect- You do realize there is a reason they recommend when switching an animals food to transition slowly right?

Why? Because they typically only eat 1 type of food- you can't just switch it suddenly without seriously upsetting the GI tract.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a cheese steak.

Secondly: you shouldn't feel guilty EVER for eating food you enjoy.

You should be aware that you probably shouldn't have eaten it if you didn't have the room for it- and you knew you were going to blow your calories for the day- but you shouldn't be shaming yourself for eating food. That's really dangerous ground.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

The physical discomfort is likely from your gut flora changing. This is a good thing.

A little guilt is okay as long as it's not overwhelming and it doesn't develop into a "Oh what's the use, I might as well give up" attitude.
  • Michael_Smerbeck
    Options
    I'm definitely not giving up. I realize that I have to work around the excessive calories now.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not giving up. I realize that I have to work around the excessive calories now.
    You are on the right track.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the philosophy that all food is lovely. A good steak will be dark and crusty on the outside, juicy on the inside. Cheese, well, under the broiler for a few seconds creates a crusty gooey counterpoint.

If I were to have this and really enjoy it, I'd change the portion to a fraction, and eat it very, very slowly.
  • Michael_Smerbeck
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the input. I know that I have to work around the excess of calories, and I will.