Bacon Egg and Hashbrown Caserole...healthy??

Options
2»

Replies

• gmar84
    gmar84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I mean hell, drinking too much water can kill you too but you don't see people going around fear mongering water do you?

I would be willing to bet there are vastly more people who have died from heart disease than there are people who have died from drinking too much water, so no, of course you don't hear about the dangers of drinking too much water.

Sure, eating processed meat once a week might be acceptable. But what about bacon one day, hot dogs the next, bologna the next, etc etc. The key phrase here is "MAY increase RISK of heart disease", and you are potentially increasing said risk the more you consume.

I would rather lower my risk, not increase it, but that's just me, and I think if you take away this obsession with calorie counting - "as long as you track the calories you're fine", and start to realize potential risks and dangers of eating certain foods on a regular basis (backed up by studies), then you might start to see my point.

I think a lot of people lose sight of what is considered healthy and what will make you lose weight. Wasn't there someone who lost weight on a twinkie diet, and then another lost weight on a pizza diet? I remember hearing about those on the news several years ago.

Should those diets be promoted as being healthy because they lost weight and they tracked their calories?

Most if not all doctors would agree - no. So why is it ok to promote the idea of "eat anything as long as you track it and stay within your calories" that MFP seems to promote?

However, all of this is just my way thinking and not everyone else's. If people feel satisfied and healthy with how they eat then I am not one to tell them different, this is simply how I feel about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    gmar84 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I mean hell, drinking too much water can kill you too but you don't see people going around fear mongering water do you?

I would be willing to bet there are vastly more people who have died from heart disease than there are people who have died from drinking too much water, so no, of course you don't hear about the dangers of drinking too much water.

Sure, eating processed meat once a week might be acceptable. But what about bacon one day, hot dogs the next, bologna the next, etc etc. The key phrase here is "MAY increase RISK of heart disease", and you are potentially increasing said risk the more you consume.

I would rather lower my risk, not increase it, but that's just me, and I think if you take away this obsession with calorie counting - "as long as you track the calories you're fine", and start to realize potential risks and dangers of eating certain foods on a regular basis (backed up by studies), then you might start to see my point.

I think a lot of people lose sight of what is considered healthy and what will make you lose weight. Wasn't there someone who lost weight on a twinkie diet, and then another lost weight on a pizza diet? I remember hearing about those on the news several years ago.

Should those diets be promoted as being healthy because they lost weight and they tracked their calories?

Most if not all doctors would agree - no. So why is it ok to promote the idea of "eat anything as long as you track it and stay within your calories" that MFP seems to promote?

However, all of this is just my way thinking and not everyone else's. If people feel satisfied and healthy with how they eat then I am not one to tell them different, this is simply how I feel about it.

As I said before, there are numerous studies that actually show the dangers of sodium nitrate to be greatly exaggerated. So pick your study...you can find a study to back up pretty much whatever your belief is.

Also, I'm not one to poo poo nutrition...my diary is open...I'm pretty much all about rockin' nutrition.