Weight lifting at home

Options
Ive read a bunch of things to try to familiarize myself with weight lifting. I have New rules of weight lifting for women, and would like to start with that.. I will probably be doing the workouts at home mostly. As of right now, all I have are 5 pound dumbbells. For those that have used the book before, or anyone that is used to weight lifting....is this going to be enough weight to start with? And if so, when would be a good time to start using heavier weights? I don't want this weight lifting to be all for nothing!!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    meggypooh wrote: »
    Ive read a bunch of things to try to familiarize myself with weight lifting. I have New rules of weight lifting for women, and would like to start with that.. I will probably be doing the workouts at home mostly. As of right now, all I have are 5 pound dumbbells. For those that have used the book before, or anyone that is used to weight lifting....is this going to be enough weight to start with? And if so, when would be a good time to start using heavier weights? I don't want this weight lifting to be all for nothing!!

Thanks in advance!

The short answer is no 5 pound dumbells won't get you anywhere, you will be using heavier weights straight away

• hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm totally depending on home workouts, using my own body weight and pair of dumbbells 5kg per each. I recommend you search youtube for body weight exercises to know how to use you own body to vary exercise intensity and how can you hit each muscle by varying exercise technique. Couple that with volume; you can periodize your workouts (HVLI to LVHI).

5lb is a good weight to start with. First go for two weeks of High Volume Low Intensity and then proceed to Medium Volume Medium Intensity for another two weeks and then periodize. For first two weeks (HVLI) your dumbbells will be enough. Going to higher intensity you will need to incorporate more intense body weight exercises that target certain muscle group while using dumbbells for warming / first set.

Wish you good luck
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    For the program you’re interested in, no, they aren’t enough. You’ll likely need heavier weights day one, but you can use them to learn the movements and decide what type of investment you want to make (I’d go with an olympic barbell set with about 300lbs, which will serve you well for as long as you train).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    5lb dumbbells aren't going to be very useful for NROLFW.
    They'll totally help for some of the exercises but are utterly useless for things like deadlifts...

HOWEVER!
    While you hunt Craigslist and other sites for an olympic bar, plates, a rack, etc, you can put those dumbbells to use.
    The Nerdfitness Bodyweight routine would definitely use those dumbbells, you will need heavier ones as well though
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try "you are your own gym". There's a book for it and even an app. It's all body weight exercises and its an excellent workout.

A set of 5lb weights wont be enough for NROLFW (maybe the first week or two but thats it)...I've done the program and you will most likely start off with more than 5lbs. (I don't do it anymore since my weights got burned up in a fire...but I will definitely take it back up once I get some new weights.)

Don't forget, you can also use home items for weights...like gallons of water/milk, cans, books and other things.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    DragonMeat wrote: »
    Try "you are your own gym". There's a book for it and even an app. It's all body weight exercises and its an excellent workout.

A set of 5lb weights wont be enough for NROLFW (maybe the first week or two but thats it)...I've done the program and you will most likely start off with more than 5lbs. (I don't do it anymore since my weights got burned up in a fire...but I will definitely take it back up once I get some new weights.)

Don't forget, you can also use home items for weights...like gallons of water/milk, cans, books and other things.

Yikes! I hope you and everyone else are ok!
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lol, it was outside on our covered porch and we are all fine. All my weight sets completely melted though :( It was so sad to see lol. Thank you for your thoughtfulness :smile:
  • therob123
    Options
    What's the best way to get ripped at s home gym
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    therob123 wrote: »
    What's the best way to get ripped at s home gym

Lose fat through eating better and likely fewer calories. Then lift heavy things.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your fitness level is currently, but as someone who started in January using free weights at home (and was very out of shape), I started with 3 lb dumbbells, quickly moved to 5 and am now using 8 lbs and just this morning realized they aren't heavy enough. So it may be a good starter weight, but if you work at it regularly you'll need to upgrade soon (which is a good thing!).