What do you eat all day when you need to save calories for dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'd personally plan ahead and maybe eat 100-200 calories lower each day the week prior. And I often find I'm not as hungry for breakfast if I drink plenty of water or drink something warm (coffee, tea, etc). So I guess see what works for you. I'd focus on lean proteins and veggies with lots of volume, although that doesn't always work (why, raw carrots, why do you always make me hungrier?!).
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Egg whites for breakfast. Salad for lunch.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast, eat lunch.

Fats and proteins keep me from being hungry, so to me that's the time for a tuna melt.

English muffin, 3 oz tuna, spicy/sweet pickles, 1 oz muenster cheese. That'll keep me for hours, and is 310 cals. If I'm really needing to eke out every spare calorie, I'll skip the English muffin. Still satiating, but a lot less enjoyable for me to eat.

If I need breakfast that day, my go to is 2 sunnyside up eggs and an English muffin. I love the runny yolks on toasted bread. Again, will keep me for hours.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I'd personally plan ahead and maybe eat 100-200 calories lower each day the week prior. And I often find I'm not as hungry for breakfast if I drink plenty of water or drink something warm (coffee, tea, etc). So I guess see what works for you. I'd focus on lean proteins and veggies with lots of volume, although that doesn't always work (why, raw carrots, why do you always make me hungrier?!).

Raw carrots work for me... sorta. It depends on the time of the month though.
    sarah_hite wrote: »
    I like to drink herbal teas, water, or other low-calorie drinks during the day if I am saving calories for the evening.

Tea makes me ravenous. Go figure, lol.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I will eat egg white omelets loaded with veggies and salsa. Then lunch you could do some type of lettuce wraps with chicken. Tuna would be good.

I could go with cucumber slices or something as a snack. That's a pretty light day.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I will eat egg white omelets loaded with veggies and salsa. Then lunch you could do some type of lettuce wraps with chicken. Tuna would be good.

I could go with cucumber slices or something as a snack. That's a pretty light day.

Oh that sounds awesome actually. Egg white omelet, then lettuce wraps... I approve.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I made reservations for a Moroccan restaurant for my birthday... but it falls on a Friday so the only thing they do is a 8 course menu... not that I'm complaining really as it's just a few more $$ and I wanted to try everything anyway... but obviously I'm going to have to save calories for it.

So... what do you eat that is filling but low calories when you need to save calories for dinner? It should be that time of the month when I'm not very hungry at least, so that's a bonus. There's no doubt I'll go over, and it's really not a huge deal, but I'd rather minimize the damage I guess.

Happy Birthday!

You going to Marrakesh in Philly? THAT PLACE IS AWESOME!!!!! So tasty. If this is where you are going and you haven't been before, it is extremely small and cozy, so you may want to do presents at another place =)

To curb my appetite, I eat more veg or I drink a lot of tea.

Cassablanca actually... somewhere North of Philly.

It's not for a couple weeks though, but thanks for the birthday wishes, lol.

I'll definitely use some of these ideas. Hopefully I'm not too hungry that day.
    My friend works there ;) You should have a good time- it's big and noisy and can be very "party" like. Go to have a good time.

I don't go up that way often- check the BYOB requirements also- the places I work are BYOB- no hard liqour.

and yes- body tipping is normal- and it's okay (usually)
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I find apples surprisely "filling". If I want extra calories at night I usually skip breakfast, have an early lunch and an apple in the afternoon.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If I knew ahead of time, I would probably try to eat a little bit less calories on the days leading up to the dinner. Don't starve yourself all day for the meal, you'll be ravenous!... or at least that's my experience.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Cardio bunny mode Mon-Thurs, eat low-calorie during the day, eat what I want at dinner. I just won't eat any of my exercise cals for a few days before.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I'm more likely to exercise to 'earn' additional calories than to save up the calories I have.

thats how i do it LOLOL

i didnt used to have to eat breakfast, but now i have to have SOMETHING- even if its only a cup of yogurt.

lunch- a salad (easy on the dressing and 'extras') or a light soup- the ones i get are usually around 120 cals/ can so not bad at all.
  • Fitness_For_Life_93
    Options
    Easy...I eat small meals every 2-3 hours. SNACKS=1 slice mozz w/ 2 slices deli turkey or 1 mozz cheese stick w/ 10-18 rice crackers or a 110 cal piece of coffee cake (made w/ pumpkin & rice flour) & 8 oz. unsweet almond milk...LUNCH=is 2 c. (or more) lettuce w/ 3-4 oz chicken breast, S&P, balsamic vinegar (NOT the dressing...use the actual vinegar), 10 Rice Works rice chips & 1/2 c. red grapes. You need to eat clean and watch your portion size. Your stomach will take about a month to get used to it. It's all about the diet and if you're serious...it's a total lifestyle change. www.thescienceofeating.com will educate you on food and give you some great low calorie food options.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    calories don't count on your birthday so no need :stuck_out_tongue:

But if I do really want a big dinner, I just fast all day. Drink plenty of water and some coffee. Go out and eat all the things :smile:
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'd still have my usual breakfast and lunch. I would keep my snacks to fruit and string cheese. But mostly I'd just make sure I got some exercise in. And enjoy my dinner without worrying!
  • Francl27
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    calories don't count on your birthday so no need :stuck_out_tongue:

But if I do really want a big dinner, I just fast all day. Drink plenty of water and some coffee. Go out and eat all the things :smile:

Yeah that doesn't work out for me lol. I don't want to get there hangry.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Breakfast-Quest bar and coffee, skip mid-morning snack, Lunch-3 oz. grilled chicken, salad greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, balsamic vinegar and 100 calorie chobani yogurt, then another snack around 150 calories. Possibly a second black coffee. That can tide me over until 6 or so, not every day, but if necessary.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Strawberries for breakfast, 125g of 2% cottage cheese for lunch, and go wild for supper?
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A low carb 50 calorie tortilla with chicken breast (60 calories), jalapenos (2 calories) , laughing cow cheese (35 calories), salsa (5 calories), onions (5 calories). Right around 150 calories and fast.

A big bowl of cabbage soup (60-90 calories).
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A lite breakfast like 1/2 cup Cheerios or just a banana and then a salad for lunch with vinaigrette and little to no snacking. I really like to eat so I will also exercise extra! Last weekend we had pizza and I'm so glad I went an extra 200 calories of extra exercise over my daily goal so I could eat that extra slice and not feel guilty!