Commonly confused serving sizes (pasta, others?)

Options
May be it's overkill to have a whole topic for this but I saw at least 3 people today say that they never knew the recommended serving size for most pasta (85g typically, but may vary) is dry weight. Another one was possibly misunderstanding the serving size too.

60-80g of prepared pasta must really be a heartbreaking amount. I think someone mentioned in that context that they didn't allow themselves any for a year, presumably because they didn't think they could keep up with the serving size.

Some packages give both dry and prepared weight, but many don't, apparently enough to have quite a few people confused.

If you can think of other food items whose serving size is a common subject of confusion, please share them! (I don't mean hard to eyeball, I mean items where people might be misled to serve a completely different amount, like with pasta).

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    2 oz. pasta dry is still a sad amount once cooked, but such is life!

A lot of people seem to be confused about rice too, although most listings for rice are for cooked rather than dry.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand weighing things like pasta or rice cooked. Wouldn't the weight vary by how long they were cooked/how much water they'd absorbed?

I eat a high protein bean pasta mixed with a lot of vegetables so have learned to be content with the 2 ounce serving, but it was very sad looking at first.
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    I hate the serving sizes of popcorn. It confuses that daylights out of me.

Totally agree with this one! I can't make heads or tails out of the microwave labels! I just buy the already popped stuff and weigh it out.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I spent about four months eating really sad amounts of pasta until I learned how to measure it properly.

I get confused about canned tuna. It has a weight, but then it has a "drained" weight. Mine never matches the drained weight. It's just water though, so do I log the drained weight or the weight I get.
  • 505n8v
    505n8v Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When preparing food at home for your family, how would you measure out a serving like lasagne? Or a one pot meal that has several ingredients?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    505n8v wrote: »
    When preparing food at home for your family, how would you measure out a serving like lasagne? Or a one pot meal that has several ingredients?

You calculate all of the ingredients in advance and divide it into a pre-determined number of servings. In other words, you use the recipe function.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Semi-solids with a liquid measurement. I'm looking at ice cream and canned fruits/veggies.

ETA: I'm in Canada and most foods have gram weights, but the above items are half a cup/125 mL. Gimme grams, dammit! Stop making me do math, Health Canada! >:(
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I measure the pan before adding anything, measure when it's full of the food, subtract the first from the second - that's your food weight. I usually have an ounce as a serving. So if my dish weighs 40 ounces, there are 40 servings. It makes it easy to log. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You guess
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    i must be measuring my pasta wrong on my food scale because i thought 1-2 ounces of spaghetti was plenty .__.
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal: dry vs. wet, and any kind of fruit!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    People measuring any solid food with a cup confuses me. I see it a lot with cereal and fruit pieces especially.

The gluten-free pasta I normally eat recommends a 70g dry weight portion, which looks like an awfully small portion to me, so I usually make it from 110g dry weight - it actually looks like a filling meal that way - and I make it fit my cals.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    While the info for most meats are for raw weight, the labels on bacon specify they are for weight after frying. Since it's impossible to cook any two pieces of bacon exactly the same there is no guarantee the bacon you cook will be the same level of doneness as the standards used for labeling. Weighing it cooked will still be closer to accurate than weighing it raw.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    i must be measuring my pasta wrong on my food scale because i thought 1-2 ounces of spaghetti was plenty .__.

I do too, and I am a serious volume eater. So I am always surprised when people say 2 oz. of pasta is a small amount.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm confused with serving sizes of frozen vs cooked meat. In most cases, it weighs more frozen. So do I track the frozen weight or the cooked weight? So far I have been tracking the cooked weight, but I could be wrong all this time.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I do too, and I am a serious volume eater. So I am always surprised when people say 2 oz. of pasta is a small amount.

2 ounces dry is a good portion for me. It was when I was measuring out 2 ounces cooked that it was really sad.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    I'm confused with serving sizes of frozen vs cooked meat. In most cases, it weighs more frozen. So do I track the frozen weight or the cooked weight? So far I have been tracking the cooked weight, but I could be wrong all this time.

It really just depends on how you log it - make sure you're using either the raw entry, or the cooked one. Aside from that, it doesn't really matter.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    this thread is pointing out the confusing serving sizes but no one is posting what is the correct way to measure/weigh the serving sizes for different foods. if anyone can post a link to a reference it would be great.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I agree. It's a plateful, and I use regular sized plates.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »

Preferably, you're supposed to weigh it uncooked and unfrozen, just room temp or refrigerator temp raw. You can use settings for cooked, but, like the bacon, it's a crapshoot if your level of cooking is remotely close to that used for setting the info for cooked meat. Roasting something 5 minutes longer could add another 5% to calories by weight, because you've lost that much more moisture. Roasting it 5 minutes less could mean you're overlogging by 5% because you have more moisture offsetting the weight and increasing the distribution of calories.