Walking and eating burns more calories?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    lolo32015 wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know I dont mean like big meals like if I have like a sandwich or chips cookies something like that.. I wouldn't take fork and a plate down the street

You really haven't lived until you've enjoyed rack of lamb and roasted asparagus while strolling around your neighborhood.

Yeah but the real question is, what kind of wine would you pair with that?

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know I dont mean like big meals like if I have like a sandwich or chips cookies something like that.. I wouldn't take fork and a plate down the street

You really haven't lived until you've enjoyed rack of lamb and roasted asparagus while strolling around your neighborhood.

I'm thinking a Pinot or Syrah. And of course you need a buffet / festival plate set-up to ensure you're getting a good burn (something bigger than this, though).

4gn4yu7kwuah.jpg

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

I'm thinking a Pinot or Syrah. And of course you need a buffet / festival plate set-up to ensure you're getting a good burn (something bigger than this, though).

4gn4yu7kwuah.jpg

I got acrylic wine tumblers with lids on them this year for Christmas. Bout time to break one of those out on my evening walks. If I make lamb lollipops I can take both with me.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This made me think of all the people eating turkey legs while walking around Walt Disney World.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you eat and walk at the same time my mother will look down you as being the height of common

Nancy Mitford eat your heart out
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Walking and eating is a good way to spill food on your shirt.

i cant even sit STILL without getting food on me!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    All I'm saying is I once actually inhaled lentils that way. Don't be dumb like me
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am so tempted now to take my chicken, mashed potatoes and sautéed asparagus around the neighborhood tonight. Among other problems, though, is that my dog walks with me. I'd need an extra hand for her leash.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There ya go, folks: public education exemplified.

This is what happens when health education gets marginalized and cut with the athletics, art, music (etc) programs.

<boggle>
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sakes.
  • GeorgiPorgi1989
    GeorgiPorgi1989 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've just sat at work crying at some of these replies... I love the idea of people walking around their neighbourhoods with racks of lamb and some asparagus!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This made me think of all the people eating turkey legs while walking around Walt Disney World.

You burn triple calories at Disney World. Magic.

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    No. That is not true.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Okay so I was told if you walk and eat at the same time you will burn twice as much calories as you eat so I just want to know is that true or is it myth? Someone else told me not to do that but, to eat then walk but wouldn't that be the same thing?

Someone please help me out!

That's silly.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eating mindfully (that is, eating slowly without distraction, thinking about and enjoying the taste of your food), is somewhat correlated with increased satisfaction from food and less desire to overeat. While you don't lose weight just by thinking about your food more, it can help you to feel full on less.

And I think trying to eat and walk at the same time is pretty much the opposite of that.

I assume that at best it will be no better than walking separately from your eating, and at worst you may feel unsatisfied by your food and end up wanting to eat more.

A walk at some point of the day would defiantly be a way to burn some extra calories and just a healthy thing to do, though.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    walk then eat, eat then walk or walk whilst eating. it's all equal :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Did you know that if you walk backwards whilst eating it actually REVERSES calories consumed? So, if you were eating an apple at 75 calories and you ate it walking backwards, not only would that apple burn off but because you were walking backwards you would also burn an extra 75 calories on top of that!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay so I was told if you walk and eat at the same time you will burn twice as much calories as you eat so I just want to know is that true or is it myth?

Yeah....NO.

Someone else told me not to do that but, to eat then walk but wouldn't that be the same thing?

Walking at a reasonable pace burns roughly the same as your BMR, so while walking you roughly double the number of calories you are burning.

I wonder if that's what this came from - started out reasonable, and transformed into silliness after a few rounds of Chinese Whispers?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I am so tempted now to take my chicken, mashed potatoes and sautéed asparagus around the neighborhood tonight. Among other problems, though, is that my dog walks with me. I'd need an extra hand for her leash.

Stick it all in the blender and turn it into a smoothie. Problem solved!

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you walk while eating?

Always used to do this when i was younger!
    Me and my friends would go buy some Chips (UK Chips, which are chunky fried potatoes) and eat them from the bag as we walked to our destination. No biggie.
    People in the UK do it all the time....mostly youngsters though.
    It has to be either chips from a Chip Shop or chicken and chips though. ;)