NIGHT OWLS: how do you get to sleep?

Options
After being out of school for a couple months, I have gotten back into a bad bed time routine since I don't have any early morning commitments. I was on a great schedule during the school year of going to bed at 10 and waking up at 6.

For the past 3-4 weeks I have been staying up late because I can't fall asleep. Some nights I'm up til 4 am and I wake up between 11 - 12. I really don't like the schedule I am in, but regardless of what time I lay down I just can't fall asleep.

My son will be done school at the end of June and I will have to be getting up with him in the mornings. I want to break this bad habit since I will no longer have the option of sleeping in and lack of sleep makes me extremely irritable.

Any suggestions for how I can get to sleep at a reasonable hour and break this bad habit?

Replies

• yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I take Valerian tablets when my body clock is out of balance, usually on Sunday since I wake up late on weekends. I also visit calm.com to help me relax before bed.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Get yourself in some kind of nightly routine. Go for calm and quiet for awhile before you head to bed. Limit caffeine if you have it and it affects you.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, my schedule was definitely messed up after Uni! Being a night owl plus the extended hours required in school, I was hardly getting sleep at all.

I still have to get up early now for work, but I try to get to bed by 12 or 1. I think if you set a routine and stick to it, you'll slowly start to adjust and change your body's "clock".

I actually work out in the evening, so that kind of set a precedent for my nightly routine, as well as making sure that after showering and calming down, I don't do or watch anything that will get me wired.

Don't try to change everything at once, little things at a time. Good luck! :)