cold pasta. How?

Options
I want to take cold pasta to work but whenever I cook it and leave it to cool it sticks together in a big blob, even when theres sauce on. How do I stop it doing this?

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Are you adding the sauce after? Try tossing the pasta with a little oil to help it keep from sticking.
  • flojo1979
    flojo1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Adding sauce when still warm, sometimes as left over next day but it sticks too much so end up in bin
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Rinse it with cold water if you're not going to eat it right away. Also try smaller pasta like shells, diatilini. It doesn't stick nearly as bad as long noodles do. Heat it up with a teaspoon of water in microwave and then add your sauce.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    flojo1979 wrote: »
    How do I stop it doing this?
    Add a tablespoon of olive oil

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    flojo1979 wrote: »
    How do I stop it doing this?
    Add a tablespoon of olive oil

You definitely don't need that much oil for a single serving. Also, keep in mind that a single tablespoon of olive oil comes in at a whopping 120 calories.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I agree with rinsing if you can! It removes alot of starch, which is what makes it stick.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't rinse macaroni when we're eating it immediately, hot & with some kind of sauce/gravy on it. However, whenever I cook it for macaroni salad, I drain, rinse & drain again. It still gets a dressing, but rinsing off the starch, as others say, helps prevent it from sticking together. If you're making it to reheat later, don't rinse, just add your sauce to it before refrigerating it.
  • flojo1979
    flojo1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks will rinse next time. Is the starch bad anyway?
  • BarbellsDumbbellsNCupcakesOHMY
    Options
    The type noodle makes a big difference too. Spaghetti noodles, angel hair, linguine stick together big time. Rotini, rigatoni, penne, farfalle don't stick together at all.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Rinse a couple times and add a little water 2T to the container you are keeping it in. Add sauce and heat after pouring off any water that might remain. And yes, thinner pasta sticks together more so than thicker. Good luck.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yup, rinsing the pasta in water after cooking it to remove the starch will keep it from sticking together when cold. I dont think the starch is "bad" though per se...not sure in what context? Generallys speaking, it is actually good for the sauce to have something to hold onto.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Oil and mix before while still hot. not much a drizzle to coat