Women, Stress, Eating Disorders, and Knitting.

Options

Replies

• eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I knit, crochet, cross stitch, and quilt. I can spend hours and hours at my crafts on any given day. Only problem is all of those are very sedentary hobbies that don't burn many calories! On the plus side though is that I will become so engrossed in my projects that it distracts me from constantly thinking about food or snacking which helps me to not eat as much.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I knit and spin (hello, fellow Ravelers, I see you there!) and tried to learn to crochet once. Once. It did not turn out well. Hooking is not for me, despite the glamorous wardrobe and easy money. ;)

I actually got laughed at in a thread here once for giving "knitting" as a "diet tip." I think that handwork is the BEST thing to do when trying to cut out mindless snacking. I stand up and spin on a drop spindle in front of the TV instead of sitting and snacking...and I never get popcorn or candy at the movies because it would mess up my knitting. (I always bring boring garter stitch to the movies so I don't need to look at my hands. Someday this darn Color Affection will be DONE, I'm so bored with it!)
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I knit and spin (hello, fellow Ravelers, I see you there!) and tried to learn to crochet once. Once. It did not turn out well. Hooking is not for me, despite the glamorous wardrobe and easy money. ;)

I actually got laughed at in a thread here once for giving "knitting" as a "diet tip." I think that handwork is the BEST thing to do when trying to cut out mindless snacking. I stand up and spin on a drop spindle in front of the TV instead of sitting and snacking...and I never get popcorn or candy at the movies because it would mess up my knitting. (I always bring boring garter stitch to the movies so I don't need to look at my hands. Someday this darn Color Affection will be DONE, I'm so bored with it!)

I tried drop spindling once. It was a cool thing, but I couldn't help but imagine that that is how people spun threads/yarn before the spinning wheel came along.

At what rate can you produce yarn (or whatever) by drop spindle? What do you do with it.

This is fascinating to me.

Knitters: I want to start. What is an easy first time project? Potholders? What's the minimum equipment supplies needed beyond knitting needles and yarn?
  • HeySwoleSister
    edited March 2015
    Options
    50452 wrote: »

I tried drop spindling once. It was a cool thing, but I couldn't help but imagine that that is how people spun threads/yarn before the spinning wheel came along.

At what rate can you produce yarn (or whatever) by drop spindle? What do you do with it.

This is fascinating to me.

Knitters: I want to start. What is an easy first time project? Potholders? What's the minimum equipment supplies needed beyond knitting needles and yarn?

Spinning wheels weren't invented until about 1200 CE, so every bit of fabric before then, from mummies wraps to sails on Viking ships? All spun on spindles. It takes me a while to spin up a whole 4 oz bump of fiber, but it usually gets me only a little less yardage than a commercial hank of the same weight. I've knit it up into shawls and hats before, and also gifted them in Ravelry swaps to non-spinning knitters who wanted to give handspun a try. I use supported spindles (there is one in my current profile pic!) while a passenger on roadtrips (like garter stitch, I don't have to look at my hands) and suspended (aka drop) spindles in front of the TV...even while walking outside! I also have a collection of working antique spinning wheels because I'm just that weird.

To learn to knit, watch a bunch of You Tube videos. To start, make a washcloth (get cheap "kitchen cotton" yarn for that, they make great dishrags or shower cloths) or, if you want to start with something prettier, just make a garter stitch scarf from something soft and pretty. (But, don't use the eyelash or other novelty yarn. Some people will suggest it, but I think it's a better learning experience if you can actually see your stitches) Join Ravelry. Make 8000 new friends. Then, when you are ready to try a pattern, I usually suggest Hitchhiker as a first scarf/shawl because it's super easy and there are lots of examples on there to look at.

DO EET! I've also had friends quit smoking by doing more handwork. It's amazing how many bad habits come from just wanting something to do with fidgety fingers!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to knit, but I do crochet... Learned how when I was about 8, so I never considered it an old lady thing LoL! It is super relaxing though...I have issues with stress, so I should pick this back up again. All I can make are blankets though, have never expanded my horizons with that. LoL
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My grandmother taught me how to crochet (very basically) when I was young, and I was curious about knitting. I know the needles come in all sizes, any recommendation for just starting out or is it based on a pattern you choose?
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Did someone call me? My knitter senses are tingling... :)

Knitting is my meditation. Ravelry.com is the best thing to ever happen to the internet...all the knitting in the universe in one incredibly well-designed and user-friendly website!
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »

Knitting is my meditation. Ravelry.com is the best thing to ever happen to the internet...all the knitting in the universe in one incredibly well-designed and user-friendly website!

Bahahaha, your post made my day! :D I'mma check that website out, always wanted to knit, just started sewing again because I got a new machine. I'm a pillow making crazy lately...
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I knit and do embroidery. I do some other crafts too with sewing, paper, and used to do glasswork, which I need to get back into! I've noticed over the years that I'm much happier when I have a craft project. As someone else mentioned above, I do it while watching TV or movies so I don't feel lazy. :)
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Knitter here too. Love it. Snacking at night wasn't my downfall, and hopefully keeping my hands busy will help keep it that way. Same username on ravelry. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

The danger of Ravelry is that it ruins the rest of the internet for you. WHAT IS THIS WORLD WITHOUT AN "AGREE" OR "EDUCATIONAL" BUTTON? WHY IS THIS SITE DOWN? WHY DO BLINGEES STILL EXIST?

If only Casey ran the world.

Oh, Ravelry will also take up your whole day and leave you no time to knit. Ask me how I know.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Knitting rocks! Love this! It's pretty tough to snack mindlessly while knitting...one of the many benefits.

Ravelry is awesome too - I'm hatfanatic. I haven't made anything in a long time, but seeing this thread is inspiring. Thanks for posting!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

The danger of Ravelry is that it ruins the rest of the internet for you. WHAT IS THIS WORLD WITHOUT AN "AGREE" OR "EDUCATIONAL" BUTTON? WHY IS THIS SITE DOWN? WHY DO BLINGEES STILL EXIST?

Oh, Ravelry will also take up your whole day and leave you no time to knit. Ask me how I know.

Srsly.

50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Uh, oh. This might be una problema...
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    I'm Lanus on Ravelry. (stupid username was taken here) You can usually find me in Rubberneckers or Nerd Girl Yarns group. (Best indie dyer ever!)
  • gretlarson
    gretlarson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to crochet but as a fitbit user it takes up time that I could be getting steps in so I am conflicted with that. I have about 3 projects I am working on currently. I started crocheting last year before I started losing weight. I did find that it helped me not be so depressed during the winter when it seemed like I couldn't go anywhere because of the weather. I like the Crochet crowd. Mikey has a ton of great video tutorials that make it easy to learn.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    gretlarson wrote: »
    I like to crochet but as a fitbit user it takes up time that I could be getting steps in so I am conflicted with that. I have about 3 projects I am working on currently. I started crocheting last year before I started losing weight. I did find that it helped me not be so depressed during the winter when it seemed like I couldn't go anywhere because of the weather. I like the Crochet crowd. Mikey has a ton of great video tutorials that make it easy to learn.

you could probably crochet and walk! I ply yarn on a drop spindle while walking, I bet if you had some small crochet projects (like granny squares or amigurimis if you are super talented....) you could carry yarn in your pocket or in a wrist bag and get some leisurely steps in while hooking!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Daughter and I have both taken up crochet when my hands allow me to do that. We love it! Tried knitting but I got the needles so tight and i was so frustrated people around me were in serious danger of losing an eye, so I went to crochet and like it so far. But we also cross-stitch, sew, quilt and latchhook.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i am a crochet addict! i crochet almost every chance i get. it relaxes me and i also count it as exercise as i walk in place while crocheting :wink: