no carbs or low carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    spfldpam wrote: »
    She is a state licensed, masters degree educated and works for the local medical center/hospital. What is your education and license on your expertise?!?!?! Please share your qualifications on this.............
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    My nutritionist told me that a person needs 130 grams of carbs a day for healthy brain function. If you don't get that many a day you will be lacking. Eat good carbs and not junk carbs. Less processed carbs.

You need a new nutritionist

Ahh, the tried and true Appeal to Authority fallacy
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    This post wasn't directed at you. If you read it again. It was directed to JPW1990, now I remember why I don't post to the forums on here.............
    auddii wrote: »
    She is a state licensed, masters degree educated and works for the local medical center/hospital. What is your education and license on your expertise?!?!?! Please share your qualifications on this.............
    My nutritionist told me that a person needs 130 grams of carbs a day for healthy brain function. If you don't get that many a day you will be lacking. Eat good carbs and not junk carbs. Less processed carbs.

She's still wrong (see my post above). And since you seem to care so much, I have a PhD in genetics and have taken several biochemistry classes.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This post wasn't directed at you. If you read it again. It was directed to JPW1990, now I remember why I don't post to the forums on here.............

She's still wrong (see my post above). And since you seem to care so much, I have a PhD in genetics and have taken several biochemistry classes.

That's nice. I also said she's wrong. Not sure why it matters who it's coming from. By all means though, feel free to bow out of the forums.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I struggle with foods, I really only like chicken, tuna and eggs

I'm a little confused...you say you get bored eating this, but yet this is all you really like...
    Acg67 wrote: »
    SciranBG wrote: »
    To those of you losing weight doing low carb... Do you think your losing because you've lowered your carbs or you've lowered your calories?
    CICO, anyone who says otherwise is probably referring to the additional water weight lost when doing keto/VLCD's.

I struggle a bit too because of the restrictiveness, but it is better than constantly feeling hungry.

For some people. There was a huge thread about this recently, but what it comes down to is for a lot of people, the standard given formulas for calculating CICO, including the one used by default on MFP, is incorrect for them, because they have other factors that affect how their body uses food. The same person can eat 1500 calories using a "normal" macro breakdown and not lose weight, or only lose tiny amounts, then eat 1500 calories with carbs restricted, the difference made up in fats, and lose 1-2lbs a week. The shorthand for explaining that is often saying something like "CICO didn't work for me" or "losing more on the same amount of calories." If someone is ignorant of how all these different metabolic issues work, they'll often assume the person is claiming to be a magical fairy-dust infused special snowflake, when what they're really saying is the standard CICO formula is not universal.

LOL, the standard CICO works for everyone. Metabolic issues are covered in the energy balance equation

Not when you're using a pre-programmed calculator. It's trial and error, and no amount of playing semantics games is going to change that. You will not find a single website, including this one, that lets you enter your basic stats and gives you a TDEE that accounts for insulin resistance, for example, because even two given people with IR aren't affected by it to the same exact degree.

The energy balance equation is a system of variables. When someone says "CICO doesn't work for me" they are saying the pre-programmed standard variables in that system are not accurate for them. You can pretend that's not what they mean, but it's not doing anyone any favors.

They aren't accurate for a lot of people, in fact, I would say they're aren't all that accurate for most people...these calculators are just generally good starting points, they aren't gospel. Nobody has exactly a TDEE of XXXX calories. This is why people always say that you have to make adjustments per your real world results.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

My degree being in a different field doesn't make your nutritionist any less wrong. Dr. Oz has an MD and an MBA. He's estimated to be correct approximately 45% of the time. A basic 100 level biology textbook can explain why your nutritionist is giving you bad info if Auddii's explanation isn't clear enough.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Fruit counts as carbs (like 50 a fruit). By definition I wouldn't avoid carbs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate Might want to focus on the fact it has hydrate in the title.
    It may take time but exercise and eating less than you're burning and you will lose weight. I'd suggest to not eat back exercise calories however (as in extra calories).
  • jules92761
    jules92761 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ashleighhunter92 - if you are still reading this thread that has gone way astray... I tend to eat a lot of the same things too, but I'll share what has worked - I am doing South Beach so I eat beans so I do a lot of chili, chicken chili, etc. You could make a no-bean version if you aren't including beans. Also the flavored tuna pouches from Starkist - I like the garlic and herb. It's good just plain with veggies on the side or it is good heated up mixed in with broccoli or asparagus. Boiled ham rolled around asparagus. Ground turkey made into taco meat and eaten either as a taco salad or on a low-carb wrap if you are including those. I hope that gives you some ideas. And for the record, I would just state that I have had 4 separate doctors, including a cardiologist, tell me that reducing the number of carbs (from bread, pasta, etc) is the healthiest diet and way to lose weight.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Fruit counts as carbs (like 50 a fruit). By definition I wouldn't avoid carbs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate Might want to focus on the fact it has hydrate in the title.
    It may take time but exercise and eating less than you're burning and you will lose weight. I'd suggest to not eat back exercise calories however (as in extra calories).

100g of strawberries has 8 total grams of carbs. 100g of rhurbarb has 4.5, blackberries have 10, and half of that is fiber, so only counted as carbs in the US, not the rest of the world.

And why focus on the hydrate? Are you suggesting a high-carb diet leads to better hydration?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight but eating the same gets boring. I eat chicken and vegetables for lunch. What is best?
    Need some ideas

My diary is open. I eat low carb.

I do eat a lot of chicken and vegetables..but i don't prepare it the same all the time. I'll make chicken and vegetables in a coconut milk and curry paste sauce, cilantro lime chicken, chicken coated in parmesan, paprika, oregano, parsley, and butter..etc. You can do a lot to fix up chicken, tuna, and eggs differently so that it doesn't get boring. Look up some recipes. :)

I also eat salmon, eggs, ground turkey, and tuna..and the occasional steak.