Lifting: is this appropriate?

Options
sistrsprkl
sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
I'm a serious newb to lifting. I actually haven't really started at all. At my new gym, I've noticed a woman lifting by herself and we're about the same age/weight/fitness level. I'd like to introduce myself and maybe get some tips, even ask if she wants a partner? Is that weird? Is it ok to say something while she's in between sets? TIA!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There's only one way to find out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yes to introduce yourself. Yes to asking for some thoughts.

Sure for lifting- but dont' be surprised if she says no. Most people who get serious about training don't train with someone- if she did- you would have see said training partner.
    - But you can ask.

Honestly I wouldn't ask to train with her- I'd ask for help on form- I personally hate training with people- it slows me down - so just be aware- if you are- odds are you- not on purpose- will probably slow her down- so make a point to see if you can get some advice at the tail end - or a day when she has the time.

But yes- go introduce yourself when you cross paths- make nice- and learn something. Lifters are generally very nice and helpful peoples.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    It's one of those things where it's not inappropriate or inherently offensive to ask, but be gracious if she declines. She will have her reasons for whatever she chooses, whether it's partnering up or training solo. I've found that most folk are happy to offer help if asked, so it doesn't hurt to introduce yourself at the very least! Just try to catch her between sets and keep it brief to avoid slowing her session down.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it's a little weird, honestly :/ Get a trainer to learn for yourself, I think. If you happen to be working out near each other and one of you needs assistance, maybe offer (or ask) then. (She's going to work out for herself, probably has a schedule like you do. I think it's a bit of an imposition.)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I'm a serious newb to lifting. I actually haven't really started at all.

The first task for a newbie in any field is to learn from the pros in that field, not from random people, regardless of what they look like. So i would follow a good lifting program, like NROL4W, Stronglifts, or the one in my profile. Or hire a good personal trainer and get a customized program (Google "how to choose a personal trainer").
    If you're really serious about it, consider reading the study manuals for a good personal trainer certification, like NASM, which you can buy used on Ebay.
    Once you have knowledge under your belt, you'll be able to assess all the claims you'll hear from people in the gym.. some of which are pretty out there! :o
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I appreciate the honest opinions. I've read NROLFW and will probably hire a trainer to show me what I need to know for that and maybe I'll meet that woman in a more organic way than interrupting her workout :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you need explicit instructrions on how to build and follow a routine, form corrections on everything you do etc, then this is something you should ask a trainer for, it will take too much of her time. If you have specific questions about how to do a few things, then approaching her and asking her if she can help sounds like a good plan. Introduce yourself, tell her you are just starting etc. Just do not interrupt her with a thousand questions per day. I would not ask her to be a training partner, this sounds really weird, since you do not know her and you are at different levels.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'd be freaked out if someone did that. I go to the gym for alone time and to, well, lift, not to talk to strangers or - worse! - be asked to help train a newbie. Besides, who says I'm any good? A random stranger might teach you all wrong.

Definitely see a trainer to learn correctly.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with introducing yourself and asking her for maybe A pointer or something. I'm socially awkward though so I would feel weird if someone did that to me