Wireless scale or fitness tracker?

Options
I'd like to buy both but want to buy one and then the other. Which would you recommend me purchasing first?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fitness tracker

A wireless scale is a waste of money, unless you really, really can't be bothered clicking to enter your weight ...seriously just get a cheap 10 dollar digital scale
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I recommend photos and a tape measure.
  • bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use and UP24 to track with - mainly because it calculates my calories correctly and adjusts them on MFP so that im eating the right defect.

Its great
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bb4886 wrote: »
    I use and UP24 to track with - mainly because it calculates my calories correctly and adjusts them on MFP so that im eating the right defect.

Its great

I may be missing something but are you saying MFP does not calculate calories correctly?
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use a fit bit and love it, to be honest the fit bit app has more useful information to me but not as many resources. I also have the fitbit scale, it all syncs together and I love it but totally not necessary like others above have said. I dont pay the premium on fitbit site so i only get the basic, but advice is harder to find in their community and you must have a fit bit to use it so that requires spending money where this site anyone can join.

I would get the tracker first and then a scale if you still find it necessary!!

Good Luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Tracker if you think it will motivate you to move more. The wireless scale is nice, I'll admit. But if you don't need to buy a scale right now and can only buy one - tracker for sure.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Fitness tracker. I have both. I got the scale first because I actually needed a scale anyway and have a garmin forerunner for gym. The fitness tracker is a far more useful to motivate etc. The scale is still needed but not as necessary since I can also weigh at the gym.
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cool - thanks for the advice. Sounds like fit bit is also the way to go!
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    bb4886 wrote: »

Its great

I may be missing something but are you saying MFP does not calculate calories correctly?

MFP only estimates what your daily calorie burn is by what activity level youre set at and the activities you log. A tracker would have a more prescise estimate of your calorie burn because it knows your ACTUAL activity level. So if youre less active than usual one day, or more active, it will adjust your calories to match the deficit you've set for yourself. So no, MFP isn't always accurate.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have both, and I got an activity tracker first. When you connect one to your MFP account, it adjusts your daily calorie goal to TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, aka maintenance calories) minus deficit.

And an activity tracker is super motivating. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block.

My Fitbit Aria wifi scale is pretty useless at measuring body fat. But I love never having to log my weight. And I sync it with Trend Weight to see my trend without all the "noise" from water weight.