How to track weight if I only go number 2 twice a week?

Options
2»

Replies

• PharmGirl522
    PharmGirl522 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have recently changed your dietary habits, that might very well be the cause. If you haven't, though, and the infrequency of your bowel movements is something new, then you should probably see your doctor just in case there is something else going on.

If, however, you've *always* only gone once or twice a week, well, that's nothing to worry about then. "Normal" is a very subjective term, and in terms of bowel movements, "normal" can range anywhere from twice a day to once a week. It all depends on what your habits have always been. Any change from YOUR normal is something to look into.

But your bathroom habits are only yours, and they shouldn't be compared to anyone else's. Someone else's "normal" may be completely different from yours, and that's fine. It's only when you notice a change from YOUR normal that you should be concerned.

So, long story short (perhaps too late for that?): if you are seeing a change from your normal habits, go to a doctor and find out what's going on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If that is what your body is use to, then that is just the way it is. You track your weight like everyone else.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into your eating plans and nutrition.. Yes, it can be 'normal' ^ (as some say) but normal isn't always good.
    Slow bowl movement usually means there are certain factors missing in a diet regime, that thing could be as simple as a lack of fiber. I don't know what it could be personally, but if I were you, I'd visit a doctor just to make sure your body isn't deprived in important nutrients.

^^^ this. I believe the recommendation is actually that you go 1-3 times a day. Essentially daily, but preferable is after every meal. I have a very hard time believing you're eating tons of fiber if you go this infrequently, but if that is true, I would take a trip to the dr to talk about it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have never ever heard a recommendation of more than 1x a DAY or after EVERY meal...where did that come from?!
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Why is anybody taking this seriously?
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    You may want to look into your eating plans and nutrition.. Yes, it can be 'normal' ^ (as some say) but normal isn't always good.
    Slow bowl movement usually means there are certain factors missing in a diet regime, that thing could be as simple as a lack of fiber. I don't know what it could be personally, but if I were you, I'd visit a doctor just to make sure your body isn't deprived in important nutrients.

^^^ this. I believe the recommendation is actually that you go 1-3 times a day. Essentially daily, but preferable is after every meal. I have a very hard time believing you're eating tons of fiber if you go this infrequently, but if that is true, I would take a trip to the dr to talk about it.

There's a range of normal: 3 a day to 3 a week is considered normal, and there could be outliers as well. If you're going twice a week, and it's normal consistency with no other problems, and that's been the norm for a long time, it's not concerning.

As for the weighing, I just weigh daily regardless of those kinds of factors, and then keep an eye on the trend line.

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. In that 3 or 4 day interval, if I weigh the same each day, then I consider it a win.
  • PharmGirl522
    Options

....no. There is no "recommendation" that I know of that says a person should be having 1-3 bowel movements a day. That may very well be typical for some people, but I don't believe there is any such recommendation. I'd like to know where you are getting that "recommendation" from.

• PharmGirl522
    edited March 2015
    Options

There's a range of normal: 3 a day to 3 a week is considered normal, and there could be outliers as well. If you're going twice a week, and it's normal consistency with no other problems, and that's been the norm for a long time, it's not concerning.

As for the weighing, I just weigh daily regardless of those kinds of factors, and then keep an eye on the trend line.

THIS. There is a RANGE in terms of what is considered normal, so to say that people should be going [x] number of times a day is ridiculous. People can fall anywhere along the range and still be perfectly okay. I mean, seriously? If I was going after every damn meal, I would get myself straight to the doctor, because that is not normal FOR ME.

Really, this question is completely a moot point just for that reason alone. There is no way to answer "am this normal??", because there is no way to determine what's normal for that particular person by comparing them to someone else.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've also read that going after every meal is ideal. My dog and husband do this , but once a day is my max.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Add a probiotic and more fiber to your diet, or a fiber supplement. I had similar issues and since I started that I go at least once a day, if not more. Also, drink lots of water.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of crap!! (sorry I couldn't help myself)
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I have never ever heard a recommendation of more than 1x a DAY or after EVERY meal...where did that come from?!

I've been told by a couple different sources, medical, that 1-3 times a day is best. Never heard anything about after every meal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I've been told by a couple different sources, medical, that 1-3 times a day is best. Never heard anything about after every meal.

That would probably correlate to 1-3 times a day??
    And I second trying a good quality probiotic. The one I use specifies that it helps regularity.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Ummm. Really?

So how much do you think stool weighs? Just weigh yourself and start tracking your scale fluctuations

And move more

Twice a week is as normal as daily if that's normal for you

twice a week could be your normal. if you're getting enough fibre and aren't dehydrated, that's just normal for you.

as for how much stool weighs, I'm curious and weird, so one time I weighed myself before and after. 3 pounder. I also lose up to 6 pounds of moisture (sweat/exhalation) in one of my longer runs. your body is made up of all kinds if weighty and fluctuating things besides fat...as someone said, watch your trends

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I go once every 3 days which doesn't feel often enough. The last time I went it made a 1lb difference on the scale.
  • klopfer123
    klopfer123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you go the roughly the same time of day, then weigh yourself after each absolution?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'd be upset if I didn't go at least twice a day. It's the only time I get some peace and quiet hahahahaha
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Why is anybody taking this seriously?

My question exactly.

Normal is what's normal for the individual.

CDOOB112, you are way over thinking this. Just pick a day and weigh yourself and keep track.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I go once every 3 days which doesn't feel often enough. The last time I went it made a 1lb difference on the scale.

Your picture is cracking me up because of that hilarious South Park episode about the giant BM.

Edit: Oops, old thread. Sorry.