Feet going numb while exercising

Options
I've recently come to notice my feet are going numb while I'm running or using the elliptical. I've recently had to stop running and jump on the elliptical because I'm scared I'll fall over or trip since I lost the sensation. It comes back as soon as I finish my workout. I've tried tying my sneakers looser but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Time for new shoes?
  • kendikendrah
    kendikendrah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have bad circulation? Just a guess. You should probably get that checked out by a doctor.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    New shoes and see a doctor hun. When it happens to me its usually because its either freezing cold (my circulation is screwed) or because my shoes are knackered and I need to stop being a cheapskate and buy new lol :D
    Get checked out hunni, it could be something as silly as needing more support and the longer you leave it unchecked the likelihood of hurting yourself increases x
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This may seem weird, but change the way your shoelaces are tied. I changed mine to the one where the laces were on the sides and I loved it. My feet were just a little to chubby for my shoes and this didn't cut the circulation off on the top of my foot. See here:

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

Also, I use orthotics, but my mom is a PT so I get evaluations free :/ ... Maybe you know someone who can give you a good suggestion, or you can see a PT OR go to a running shoe store and get fitted for a running shoe. It could be your shoe is not the right size.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    haysavam wrote: »
    This may seem weird, but change the way your shoelaces are tied. I changed mine to the one where the laces were on the sides and I loved it. My feet were just a little to chubby for my shoes and this didn't cut the circulation off on the top of my foot. See here:

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

Also, I use orthotics, but my mom is a PT so I get evaluations free :/ ... Maybe you know someone who can give you a good suggestion, or you can see a PT OR go to a running shoe store and get fitted for a running shoe. It could be your shoe is not the right size.

This is my advice as well - when I started out I used the elliptical a lot and my feet would go numb. I was also dealing with plantar fasciitis at the time. A combination of all the above advice is what fixed it for me: different lacing (I used the katierunsthis link), being properly fitted for shoes at a specialty walking store where they evaluated my gait and stride, and decent orthotics for support (I just use green SuperFeet, nothing fancy or custom made). The above made a world of difference and kept me in the game.