Last week 3 this week up! Argh!!

Options
last week was my first week working hard and eating right. I knew I would get some results.. First week is always the "easiest". This week I've been hitting the gym harder and eating the same (around 1200.. I'm 4'10") and I'm up a lbs!!!!

It doesn't seem like much, but it's frustrating!

I know I have to give it time, keep working ... But when the scale goes the wrong way...

How do you guys deal with it?

Replies

• melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    First, a 3 to 5 lbs fluctuation is normal. It's most certainly not pure fat! It's more likely to be water retention or muscle repairing (especially if you went harder at the gym).
    Then, make sure you drink enough water so you eliminate the sodium you eat to prevent water rentention.
    If you weigh daily, write it on a calendar and choose the lowest weight of the week as your official weigh for that period of time. Otherwise, weigh only once a week.
    Personally, I average at 0,8 lbs a week. Some weeks, I lose 2,4 lbs. Other weeks, I'm up 0,5 lbs. It depends.
    Losing weight is a slow business and slow progress is normal progress. In order to stay motivated, set non-scale goals and non-food rewards. Like "30 push-ups a day for 6 days this week" and your reward is a new nail polish or hair dye. Whatever keeps you going!
    Feel free to add me :) I log everyday
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Melduf that is good advice. I have to remember it did not go on overnight. I gained 30 lbs in 10 months. Just 3lbs a month. So losing it should be the same rate.

I have trouble with rewards however. Food has always been my reward system. Not much else pleases me. I like big things like travel and my pets but a weekly treat, that is hard. I am having a failure of imagination.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You are both right.. Just have to stop obsessing and keep doing what I'm doing ..

Food was always my reward also.. Trying to think of other things to reward myself with is hard! I hear you!!
  • HTECHS
    HTECHS Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maji, this is a life long change. You need to measure your efforts differently.

How do clothes feel?
    How much further are you walking/jogging?
    How much stronger do you feel?
    How many more squats/pushups/dips/weights are you doing that you couldn't do last week?!

Add some focus on NON-SCALE VICTORIES and realize that the numbers will come when they come... I promise you that if you eat clean and train hard, you're going to be happier with yourself every time you look in the mirror.

For what it's worth... I was up 6 lbs Saturday to Monday... and I lost 3 lbs yesterday. I fluctuate 10 lbs in a week... TEN POUNDS. The scale turns into a devil when it's the only thing you use as a measuring stick... Just taunting you to give up.

You just need some homework. Tonight, you're going to try and do a 1 minute plank. If you can do a minute, then aim for 2... 3... whatever you max out at. Measure it. Then practice every night before bed. I want you to double (well, at least beat your current time by something relatively substantial... say 30 seconds more) your plank time whatever it is in the next 2 weeks.

Now, no more negativity, GO KICK SOME *kitten*!

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If this is just the start of you working out hard, you muscles are going to be retaining water and be swollen. Just give it time. You are making great changes. Stick with it.