Question about lifestyle.

Options
So, when I started using MFP I claimed I had a sedentary lifestyle due to the fact that I sit down for school, work, gaming, and did little to no exercise. However, in the last 6 months I have started walking to school and back four days a week, a mile each way, as well as going to the gym, for aerobic and weight lifting, four to five days a week for about 45 min to an hour and a half.

My question is this: Should I increase my lifestyle to lightly active? Or should I leave it sedentary because only 1 to 2 hours a day are active? I ask this because it says "Your are lightly active throughout the day", or something similar.

Bonus question: I use Runtastic to record my walks to and from school. If this becomes somewhat of a regular routine, since I'm doing it 4 times a week, should I stop recording them? I ask because MFP recommends not recording "Daily activities".

Thanks!

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I honestly think you could do either, leave it at sedetary but keep logging your walking, or change it to lightly active and stop logging your walking, but keep logging your other exercises...My guess is the calories would probably end up being about the same. I have mine set at sedatary because I have a desk job, however I run 4-5 days a week anywhere from 4-12 miles a pop..I log those and when I was keeping track of my calories I would just eat those calories back...just my 2 cents! :)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    However, in the last 6 months I have started walking to school and back four days a week, a mile each way, as well as going to the gym, for aerobic and weight lifting, four to five days a week for about 45 min to an hour and a half.
    Great effort you've been putting in to your fitness, this is awesome. Yeah, I'd move your fitness level up a bit. Either lightly active or the next one up.

If your goals are to reduce bodyfat and build muscle, then you can move that activity level but choose not to eat back your exercise calories. As you progress with your fitness program (i.e. increasing the intensity of your workouts), your body will need the extra calories to burn your bodyfat. You may have to play with the numbers a bit, but you should still see progress towards your goals.

Don't forget to take pictures and measurements. So you can visually see your fitness program's effects! Great going!