Replies

• sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    baby steps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's a process, and not an overnight one. Baby steps.

For me, I had a lot of bad blood work going on...so for me, I started with a lot of research on what types of things would help me clear that stuff up. As I did my research and started incorporating these foods into my diet...well, low and behold my diet started to consist of a lot of whole foods...lots of veg and some fruit...whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.

Basically I try to get in about 4-6 actual servings of veg per day and a couple servings of fruit...this pretty much means I'm having some veg and/or fruit at pretty much every meal and every snack. I have a relatively high protein intake as well and most of those are lean sourced...chicken breasts, pork tenderloin/sirloin tip, fish, lean cuts of beef, etc. I eat lots of eggs, avocados, legumes, nuts, etc.

This was and is all a process...self improvement is always ongoing...I've been at this for over 2.5 years now and I still consider myself to be in the process...
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Today is my first day and learned so much so far just on this site but I wonder how did u made the change from eating ok food not tracking calories at all to making new meals.

In other words I'm asking if you can share what worked for you, how did you changed your eating habits and which recipes helped you to do that..

Welcome to MFP :)

As a lot of people have already mentioned, meal prep is soooo imperative when logging food for weight loss.

When I started, I found that pre-logging my entire day's meals on the evening prior helped me stay on track. Sometimes I still do that if I know I'm going to have a hectic day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hint: it's not a recipe.

The very act of logging your food will help you find the parts of your diet that you need to change. It can be eye-opening to see how many calories are in a small order of fries or a single dinner bun.

I'm linking two of my blogs that I think sum up what it takes to endure and succeed. The first is gradual habit change and the second is keeping focus by building in small mini-goals. And remembering to celebrate small successes along the way.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/it-s-all-about-habit-change-715479

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/in-it-for-the-long-haul-focus-722409

• jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ty im going to search and print specially chicken cacciatore loved the recipe but now need to learn how to make it skinnytaste style :D
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ty im really going to try this site too. :D . i was able to go there earlier today and ik it would help me with some good meals.. i also like u can copy there link and i can add it on my recipe on this site..
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I use my existing recipes

But also I like skinnytaste.com

And I make up things ..eg chilli con carne evolved into a turkey version then into a veggie version then into a non bean version then into a Mediterranean chunky stew ...go figure :)

I recommend salmon fish cakes and chicken cacciatore from there ...both big hits

• jazzandbill
    Options
    ty..
    sdado1013 wrote: »
    baby steps!

that is sooo. calming and helpful just to hear.. and that is what im going to do.. ty..
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    sounds very inspirational.. ik once i start incorporating more veggies and fruits to every meal (well at least for us starting to add some veggies) will help my hubby as well since he also had some bad blood work going on. he has improved but i think im ready for us to eat healthier and make the changes to be a life style and not an overnight thing. so it is so helpful to hear comments of ppl who have done the change and continue to.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's a process, and not an overnight one. Baby steps.

For me, I had a lot of bad blood work going on...so for me, I started with a lot of research on what types of things would help me clear that stuff up. As I did my research and started incorporating these foods into my diet...well, low and behold my diet started to consist of a lot of whole foods...lots of veg and some fruit...whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.

Basically I try to get in about 4-6 actual servings of veg per day and a couple servings of fruit...this pretty much means I'm having some veg and/or fruit at pretty much every meal and every snack. I have a relatively high protein intake as well and most of those are lean sourced...chicken breasts, pork tenderloin/sirloin tip, fish, lean cuts of beef, etc. I eat lots of eggs, avocados, legumes, nuts, etc.

This was and is all a process...self improvement is always ongoing...I've been at this for over 2.5 years now and I still consider myself to be in the process...

• jazzandbill
    Options
    awww ty for the welcome.. is my first day and all ready i feel like i can do this.. there is not that many recipes for us to do meal prep since we dont eat much veggies but will start little by little to add veggies for my hubby to take to work and for me to have for lunch at home..
    and i see your point pre-logging entire meal will help me to keep going since is all new to me.. ;)

Hello,

Today is my first day and learned so much so far just on this site but I wonder how did u made the change from eating ok food not tracking calories at all to making new meals.

In other words I'm asking if you can share what worked for you, how did you changed your eating habits and which recipes helped you to do that..

Welcome to MFP :)

As a lot of people have already mentioned, meal prep is soooo imperative when logging food for weight loss.

When I started, I found that pre-logging my entire day's meals on the evening prior helped me stay on track. Sometimes I still do that if I know I'm going to have a hectic day.

• lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It doesn't all change in one day and the longer you stay with it and are tracking, changing, reading, researching, the more you know!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    It doesn't all change in one day and the longer you stay with it and are tracking, changing, reading, researching, the more you know!

Very wise
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Implemented small changes over time. I changed my breakfast from drive by fast food to oatmeal, my snacks to healthier options, and lunch to more salads/soups. Most of it was simple portion control and awareness. Biggest factor initially was proper hydration, drinking 16oz water before meals really helped and has become habit.
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hint: it's not a recipe.

The very act of logging your food will help you find the parts of your diet that you need to change. It can be eye-opening to see how many calories are in a small order of fries or a single dinner bun.

I'm linking two of my blogs that I think sum up what it takes to endure and succeed. The first is gradual habit change and the second is keeping focus by building in small mini-goals. And remembering to celebrate small successes along the way.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/it-s-all-about-habit-change-715479

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/in-it-for-the-long-haul-focus-722409

ohhh i like that tip.. ty so much.. i will visit both links.. the more i read the more i will learn and so far i love the motivation, tips and comments..
    and that is true it was very eye opening almost scary to see how easily the calories add up.

• jazzandbill
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »

ty.. and im glad this is an active community last week it was harder just trying to figure it out on your own by reading and searching recipes and different opinions..

• jazzandbill
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Implemented small changes over time. I changed my breakfast from drive by fast food to oatmeal, my snacks to healthier options, and lunch to more salads/soups. Most of it was simple portion control and awareness. Biggest factor initially was proper hydration, drinking 16oz water before meals really helped and has become habit.

i will consider that too.. the tips are just things i can easily add and change in my daily meal plan.. it is hard for me to drink water i normally dont feel thirsty but will keep track now of how much im drinking.. ty..
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You can also look at any user's food diary if it is public. Mine is. I actually didn't do the slow and steady thing. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl most of the time. I just started pre-logging food to come up with my calorie options. At first, it was tough to get it right, but after a while you just know how many calories most foods are. Like eggs. 80 for a large egg. Bread also usually around 80 a slice. With that I know I can have an egg and toast for breakfast and be at 160. It does get easier.