Confused about the benefits of protein

Options
How much protein do you eat per day and do you supplement with protein shakes?
I tend to eat alot of carbs and very little protein and I'm wondering does more protein really make a difference? What are the benefits?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    The more active you are, the more protein you need...an active individual really should get somewhere around 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM. When you're active and working out and training, you break down your muscle...protein is the primary building block of muscle.

In that same regard, if you're dieting you should eat more protein for this same reason...it helps you maintain muscle mass. When you diet you inevitably lose some muscle mass along with the fat...taking in more protein will help to minimize the loss of your muscle.

Also, higher protein diets increase your TEF (Thermal Effect of Food)...basically your body has to burn more calories to break down and metabolize the protein than it does many carb sources...particularly simple carbohydrates which are easily broken down by the body.

Eating more protein can also help you better balance your diet...one issue with the SAD is that it is very imbalanced and tends to be carb heavy...and much of those carbohydrates are of the simple variety. I'm not saying carbs are bad...I eat plenty...but most people who are accustomed to eating the SAD could stand to balance out their diets a little more.
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    good question.. since im new i couldnt help but love the information.... :D
  • Missbodyrocker
    Missbodyrocker Posts: 47
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The more active you are, the more protein you need...an active individual really should get somewhere around 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM. When you're active and working out and training, you break down your muscle...protein is the primary building block of muscle.

In that same regard, if you're dieting you should eat more protein for this same reason...it helps you maintain muscle mass. When you diet you inevitably lose some muscle mass along with the fat...taking in more protein will help to minimize the loss of your muscle.

Also, higher protein diets increase your TEF (Thermal Effect of Food)...basically your body has to burn more calories to break down and metabolize the protein than it does many carb sources...particularly simple carbohydrates which are easily broken down by the body.

Eating more protein can also help you better balance your diet...one issue with the SAD is that it is very imbalanced and tends to be carb heavy...and much of those carbohydrates are of the simple variety. I'm not saying carbs are bad...I eat plenty...but most people who are accustomed to eating the SAD could stand to balance out their diets a little more.

Thank you!
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Protein is leaner than carbs, though I wouldn't eliminate carbs from your diet altogether. I try to have a serving of protein with almost every meal and snack because it's more satiating in the long run.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    katsmo wrote: »
    Protein is leaner than carbs, though I wouldn't eliminate carbs from your diet altogether. I try to have a serving of protein with almost every meal and snack because it's more satiating in the long run.
    I don't know what you mean by 'leaner' but a gram of carbs and a gram of protein are each 4 calories.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In one of the stickies there is a link to "Important posts to read" and one of them is this:
    myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

I read the studies he references and for me there is convincing evidence that people who eat more protein while losing weight retain lean mass better (i.e. lose more fat, i.e. keep more muscle, i.e. can maintain their lower weight eating more calories) than people who don't.

So I try to keep to at least 100g per day (I am 218 lb. with about 38-40% BF) and strength-train (the other important factor to preserve lean mass).

Edited for atrocious spelling...