Is it harder to lose weight as you get older

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Getting older? Well I'd put that in 2 categories--older as in 45 to 60, and then "older than dirt"- 60 plus. now I'm in the "older than dirt" category. I'm a woman, I've always been active, never obese. Yes it's harder, not only with menopause (which can be hell), a slower metabolism, and then those fun things like OA that mean pain every day, and worse on humid, cold days. Now I'm a fighter, and keep looking for the solution. Just because it's harder doesn't mean you give up. There are inspirational stories on here from alot of people that have overcome worse. I hope to achieve my goals, and I don't care how long it takes. B)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm in my early 50s, I've been through menopause, and I'm finding it no more difficult to lose weight now than beforehand. If anything, to be honest, this time around, it's actually pretty easy.

I do agree with the earlier comment that it's easier to put weight on as you get older, though, which is how I ended up here in the first place!

In fact the only difficulty I am currently experiencing is being limited as to my workout options, due to having a damaged shoulder, which severely limits mobility and strength in my arm, and has a tendency to ache (and often hurt) at the slightest thing.

I firmly believe that unless there are genuine physiological issues, the only limitation to a person's success is their own lack of commitment and determination. Speaking as one who is well-versed in making excuses, age is not an excuse, and neither was menopause.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    TheGoktor wrote: »
    I've been through menopause, and I'm finding it no more difficult to lose weight now than beforehand. If anything, to be honest, this time around, it's actually pretty easy.

In fact the only difficulty I am currently experiencing is being limited as to my workout options, due to having a damaged shoulder, which severely limits mobility and strength in my arm, and has a tendency to ache (and often hurt) at the slightest thing.

I firmly believe that unless there are genuine physiological issues, the only limitation to a person's success is their own lack of commitment and determination. Speaking as one who is well-versed in making excuses, age is not an excuse, and neither is menopause.

I would respectfully respond that there is menopause and then there is menopause. Some don't even know they have it, and then there is "hell". I am happy that you have not suffered the 2nd option, but I can assure you that it affects one's life. I do not think it is an excuse, but it is a factor, as is illness. :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I may not be qualified to speak in this forum (I'm 36), but I do have experience watching my mother (who is 61 years young and has struggled with her weight ALL my life). She's done EVERY diet, she's lost weight but never kept it off. I've heard EVERY excuse too. Which made me start making excuses when my weight climbed in my early 30's.

In 2007 she was diagonsed with Breast Cancer. She was 52 and had been maintaining a weight loss with the help of Weight Watchers for years. If any of you know, Breast Cancer Chemo adds on the pounds (maybe the chemo doesn't but it makes it so you eat more and gain the weight). So she put 40 pounds back on. She got it into her head that she was sick, it was better to be a little heavy and let it go. In 2012, she was 5'4 and 180. Actually, we were both 180 on Jan. 1st, 2012. I'm 5'11. By August 2012 we were both in the lower 140's (we basically matched pound per pound through our weight loss, even though there was a 25 year age difference). I did MFP, she counted Points with WW on her own.

We had the same amount of weight to lose but since matched the speed of weight loss pound per pound pretty closely the whole time. Now, we both gained some of that back over the past few years. Jan 1st, 2015 she started at 160 and I was 165. Now, we are both following MFP and we are both with in .5lb of each other, around 152.

I believe that weight loss at ANY age is totally mental. It's what you tell yourself. It's how you handle life situations. If you tell yourself you have to eat sweets, or snack on chips on the couch, or you are too old to work out, or you are lazy (that was one of my gems), that's what you'll do. The only times in my life I've been able to get weight off is when I'm DEDICATED to the goal.

So, even though I'll be poked and proded and burned at the stake for saying this, I understand where 'rabbitjb" is coming from.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    so you think you'll be poked, prodded and burned at the stake for agreeing with me?

bwahahahahhahaaaa
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I can't speak for the men, but for those women (i.e.rabbitjb) who think aging is just an excuse for gaining weight ..... go through menopause and then make a blanket statement we're just using age as an excuse :s Is it impossible to lose weight.... NO, but it certainly isn't as easy when I was in my 20's, 30' or heaven forbid my 40's. Funny thing is, I just put on most of this weight I'm currently shedding after I hit 50..... Excuses aside, it's coming off and I'm dedicated to keep it off for my long-term health and well being. My family has a mantra you can either wear out or rust out and I intend to do my best to wear out

I'm 47

I'm 54 :) I truly hope you don't let your guard down for a moment because when you come out the other side of 50, essentially do nothing different, and one day look in the mirror or down at the scales you can tell me again how easy it is and just an excuse o:) Best wishes

I let my guard down for years and years due to other factors .. now that I'm, finally, successful at this and looking back over the last 25 years or so, every single completely valid reason was an excuse ... the equation was always there: eat less, move more=weight balance.

Yes the hormones suck - tell me about it - and yes they also affect your mental stability at times so your ability to commit or to care about committing.

It's always hard - there's always reasons why it's hard that are logical and valid but they are all excuses for not doing what has to be done

And I may well slip .. who knows? It's only been 9 months .. it's my biggest fear that I'll fall off this wagon because I've finally, after decades, done it.

So Best Wishes to you too :)

Branching off of what you said here, I think for a good few of us, it's a time of life where we know ourselves TRULY and aren't really playing the sorts of games with ourselves we did when we were younger, so in that respect, it is so much easier.

I am seeing better results from this attempt at losing weight than I have seen at any other attempt to lose weight in my entire life. I'm 52 now and have struggled with weight since I was 13. Yes, I have extenuating issues now due to medical and hormonal issues, but having conquered the whole head game? It's a relative cake walk.

I will go so far as to say that anyone still saying to themselves... BUT HORMONES... is still making excuses. Hormones are a confounding factor, but they are not an insurmountable road block.

Edit: for the record, I'm pretty sure I've gone through menopause (my official year will be in May), I have Hashimoto's disease, fibromyalgia/CFS, celiac disease, and psoriatic arthritis. I'm losing weight.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I found it way easier at ~40 than it was around 30. Because I knew what I was doing and didn't follow bad advice.

I will agree that it's way easier to gain now, though. A few months on the sideline with an injury, and I felt like an exploded can of crescent rolls. Then again, that was the first time in my life that I was forced to be that inactive for months.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My dad is in his seventies and it definitely takes longer for his muscles to repair. He also has a stamina limit.

On the other hand I have lost more weight in my fifties than I ever have before. I do think it came off faster when I was younger. I'm just going at it longer. Patience with age.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    I would respectfully respond that there is menopause and then there is menopause. Some don't even know they have it, and then there is "hell". I am happy that you have not suffered the 2nd option, but I can assure you that it affects one's life. I do not think it is an excuse, but it is a factor, as is illness. :)

You may well respond that but the fact is that you know nothing of my experience of menopause, so how can you even think to make the fallacious comment above, much less write it? You cannot assure me of anything. I went through almost eight years of menopause 'hell', experiencing the most horrendous mental and physical effects, so please, don't presume to know anything about me or my experiences, simply because I did not choose to play the 'woe is me' card in my initial post.

Looking back, there were times at first when yes, I did use going through as an excuse but during the worst time - the time when I was full of pain, self-loathing, and self-doubt, working out -specifically, running - was the thing which kept me sane, and got me through it.

As I said before, for me, menopause was not a valid excuse.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    so you think you'll be poked, prodded and burned at the stake for agreeing with me?

bwahahahahhahaaaa

Since I too happen to agree with you, Rabbit, I'll be bringing my own kindling. ;)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I went through surgical menopause several years ago, and there was an immediate difference in my metabolism. I was lean and fit pre-op (my surgeon loved me) and recovered quickly. I counted calories in my no-exercise days, so I didn't gain then, but after I was back to normal activities I started to put on pounds that were SO hard to lose. I fi ally got a BodyMedia Fit so I could see my calorie burn, and I definitely couldn't eat as much as I did pre surgery.

Some of my friends used to give me a hard time about wearing it. "Why do you have that? You don't need to worry about calories--you're thin." (My response was always "I do if I want to stay this way.") One of them actually apologized to me when she hit menopause because she said she gained almost 10 pounds in a couple of months.

So yes, something g happens metabolism-wise at menopause, but it can be overcome.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Definitely second the big M issue. It comes on so fast it's scarey, during the big M its very difficult to lose anything, but after the big M it can come off fast too! And that ain't no old woman excuse either.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I found it way easier at ~40 than it was around 30. Because I knew what I was doing and didn't follow bad advice.

I will agree that it's way easier to gain now, though. A few months on the sideline with an injury, and I felt like an exploded can of crescent rolls. Then again, that was the first time in my life that I was forced to be that inactive for months.

That's what got me. I maintained a 300 lb loss for 10 years, got sick, and it was a combination of not being able to be active like I used to - a few years in my case, combined with just not giving a damn because I didn't feel good. It's coming off again, and it's definitely not as fast as it was when I was in my 20's and 30's.

My next project, figuring out how to strengthen my back when I'm not supposed to do any strength training with my legs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It certainly seems harder, but the reality is, it all comes down to CICO. Things like hormones and stress can play into it, plus metabolic differences. I definitely have to be more diligent now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but OMG YES!!! For me it has been. But it's mostly because of lifestyle and a little bit physical.

Menopause makes it harder. Hormones play a role in weight gain/loss and oh boy are they crazy during this time!

But also I no longer have children at home to keep me running around. I've been at this desk job for many more years than when I was younger. I now know that being thin solves few problems. It doesn't make my husband desire me more or make sex better. It doesn't make everyone envy me or want me. I used to think I couldn't be overweight and happy. Now I know different.

And, yeah, all that makes it harder for me.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's harder to maintain muscle mass as you age, but if you get active and become physically fit maintaining a healthy weight isn't difficult at all. It took me a year to lose almost 30lb, but I didn't starve myself to get there either and during the two years following, I lost 2 additional sizes without changing my weight.

It's important as we age, especially for women, to establish some approach to weight training to retain muscle mass. We should either be in the gym or working with heavier weights in fitness classes. I see too many women using three pound weights with the misthought that heavier weights will build bulk. Not true - not for older or younger women. We just don't have the right hormones for that to happen.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    As well as reduced metabolic efficiency, hormonal changes as you age cause your fat:muscle ratio to change resulting in less LBM which makes your BMR lower. Although eating well, lifting etc can reduce the influence of these factors, you can't deny biology.

^^ this

The hormonal changes are quite different for males and females... men experience a steady gradual decrease in testosterone with age, for women it's a sudden chemical nosedive at menopause. The potential for muscle loss in menopause and afterward is alarming.

I didn't gain weight at menopause but the flesh I had sure relocated into strange new places. A poster on here referred to it as the "shape shift" and that describes it perfectly.

Fortunately I was motivated to take up weight lifting, so I'm preserving bone density and muscle (hopefully).

So, if by "harder to lose weight" you mean that caloric restriction needs to be greater than for a younger person, then I'd have to agree based on decreased BMR.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    For me it was, but when I was younger I was a runner and triathlete and had a super high metabolism. I had an accident were I couldn't train for about 8 weeks and still lost weight without trying. So you can imagine how frustrating it was for me to lose barely one pound a week in my 40s. Though frustrating, I didn't let it dissuade me and lost over 100lbs in 18 months. Now at the ripe young age of 48, my focus is more on strength training and less on cardio and hope to get into strongman training this spring and noticed my metabolism, though not super high, is pretty high even though I'm eating more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes. Your metabolism slows. If you're a woman and you pass through menopause you lose the thermogenic effects of menstruation. Older folks are typically less active. Older folks typically have less muscle.

That said: it's totally possible. It just takes more determination.

For fun, play with a BMR calculator, and tell it you're 20, then 40, then 60. Watch that number go down. For me (5'6" 135Lbs) that was 1409 at 20, 1309 at 40, and 1209 at 60. Two hundred calories may not seem like much of a difference, but it is.

PS: I turn 50 this weekend (BMR 1259). :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your metabolism slows. If you're a woman and you pass through menopause you lose the thermogenic effects of menstruation. Older folks are typically less active. Older folks typically have less muscle.

That said: it's totally possible. It just takes more determination.

For fun, play with a BMR calculator, and tell it you're 20, then 40, then 60. Watch that number go down. For me (5'6" 135Lbs) that was 1409 at 20, 1309 at 40, and 1209 at 60. Two hundred calories may not seem like much of a difference, but it is.

PS: I turn 50 this weekend (BMR 1259). :)

That's weird because at 5'8 and 162lbs I drop about 40 calories every 10 years from 20 to 50

at 20 - 1585
    at 30 - 1538
    at 40 - 1491
    at 50 - 1444

so 140 calories across 30 years ... and BMR has little to do with TDEE