gyms crowding this time of year?

Options
13»

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    During the day isn't bad at my gym, but as soon as 5pm rolls around it starts getting busy from 6:30-9:30 (they close at 10) it's insane also there is a huge issue with not enough parking. This is why I usually go around 1-2pm there's almost never anyone around then.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My local YMCA has so many ways to exercise that I never have to wait, no matter how crowded it is. There are treadmills, ellipticals, and stationary bikes in three rooms - cardio, adult, and family. There are about six or eight classes a day. There's an Olympic swimming pool (as mentioned previously). There's even a bowling alley! Yes, it costs a few dollars more than a 24/7 gym with limited equipment, but it's worth every dime to me. I pay $52.00 a month which includes locker rental and use of towels when I shower there. This is NOT an advertisement! Just simply praise.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My local YMCA has so many ways to exercise that I never have to wait, no matter how crowded it is. There are treadmills, ellipticals, and stationary bikes in three rooms - cardio, adult, and family. There are about six or eight classes a day. There's an Olympic swimming pool (as mentioned previously). There's even a bowling alley! Yes, it costs a few dollars more than a 24/7 gym with limited equipment, but it's worth every dime to me. I pay $52.00 a month which includes locker rental and use of towels when I shower there. This is NOT an advertisement! Just simply praise.

I LOVE the Y but can't justify $75/month (the rate where I am). I pay what you do for what I get. I chose this place because it's a five minute walk from my apartment
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    The waiting added an hour to my workout, I'm going to have to find another time to go. I wonder if they did some kind of promotion.

You can hardly navigate around equipment at my gym during peak times. I switched to working out at 5:30 AM. I see the same people there every morning and never have to wait for equipment because the gym isn't crowded. I hate mornings. HATE them. It took me some time to adjust, but the switch was worth it. [/quote]

You do what you have to! Glad you found something that works :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    When I go running after work on the treadmill I noticed a lot of college aged kids around my gym now. I'm thinking many people are home on spring break.

I try to hit the gym at 5am before work and there aren't too many people there. There are a couple people who have stuck around from New Years, but there is no more then 10 people tops in the morning.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I LOVE the Y but can't justify $75/month (the rate where I am). I pay what you do for what I get. I chose this place because it's a five minute walk from my apartment

I forever didn't justify the monthly rate (that's a senior rate; normal is about $75.00, as it is where you are). But for the first time since 2008, I'm down 20 pounds instead of 20 pounds MORE! I'm making friends there who have the same goals and aspirations as mine, just as I am here on MFP. And there is so much more variety than a workout gym. Again, not an advertisement, just praise! I love my YMCA!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...this is the one time of year when I hardly ever go to the gym. It's busy season for Latin dancing for my area, so I am doing that as a workout. It's also the time of year when heavy gardening and outdoor work happens.