Pain after long distances of running

Options
dbienz
dbienz Posts: 188 Member
I have been training for a half marathon for the past few months and recently have started getting a weird pain where my leg meets my hip. Its in the front (not on the outside) and in a very specific vertical spot. This also only happens on the left side, no issues on the right. It feels super tight and sore anytime after 2-3 miles and for the rest of the run. It is then sore for 2-4 days after. I can literally feel it in the front of my hip, about the size of my finger running from my lower abdomen down to the front of my left leg (maybe 1" across and 5-6" down).

Any idea what's going on? This just started a couple weeks ago and my half marathon is coming up in April!

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It could be your hip flexor, but I'm not expert; I had a pinched hip flexor once and it was agony, and near the spot I think you're describing. Definitely take it easy on the running and make an appointment to see a PT or sports doc ASAP to get it checked out.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a hip flexor, which is nothing to joke around with. Since its just on one side, it is most likely caused by muscle imbalances in your glutes. I would seek out a doctor or PT, as these can be tricky and require lots of rest and rehab if fully strained.

A PT can better diagnose muscle imbalances, and give you proper exercises to strengthen.