How to get more protein

Options
2»

Replies

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My protein goal (in grams) is .7 x body weight. Here is a link to sources for getting more protein in your diet.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php#protein-dense-foods

The main article reports minimums contrary to what I eat but maybe I would adjust downwards after reaching my body weight goal. Reminder - with each 5# loss, adjust macros.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lizardrn95 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, especially if you're lifting and trying to save muscle mass, is a good start. I don't know your goals or your stats, but if you look at my profile, I can get as much as 140 grams of protein in my first 1200 calories before dessert. I do use quest bars though.
    Wow! .8g per pound would put me even higher, at 124g. That just seems like so much to me, especially when I really ate barely any protein before I started this. I'll go with your suggestions, though, and add some dairy and more meat. Thanks, ladies!

It's 0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM (not bodyweight) ...you have to know your bodyfat percentage and take that off your weight first
  • cunnaner
    cunnaner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, especially if you're lifting and trying to save muscle mass, is a good start. I don't know your goals or your stats, but if you look at my profile, I can get as much as 140 grams of protein in my first 1200 calories before dessert. I do use quest bars though.
    Wow! .8g per pound would put me even higher, at 124g. That just seems like so much to me, especially when I really ate barely any protein before I started this. I'll go with your suggestions, though, and add some dairy and more meat. Thanks, ladies!

It's 0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM (not bodyweight) ...you have to know your bodyfat percentage and take that off your weight first

This!
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    cunnaner wrote: »
    There are some really good protein powders out there that aren't full of junk and fillers. I know for me it's an easy way to get 25-50~ grams of protein in a day. I use mine even more as a post workout drink or morning meal replacement when I'm running behind and don't have time to make breakfast.

Im using a natural whey product. Organic and non gmo etc. Doesn't matter to me its just what I picked up at the time but a product like that might interest you if youre concerned about chemicals

What are some of these decent protein powders? I'm interested in working in protein powder to my smoothies or as an after workout snack to boost my protein intake.

• vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes might help you unless you don't like to them .
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered how deliciousness that is edamame. I have the lightly salted kind for lunch and put some fresh in my salad in the evening. Today is one of the first days that I actually MADE my protein goal!
    I love it too! Hint of the day though, (well for me it was a doozy) is NOT to have edamame, on a quinoa salad, with bits of chicken, tomatoes, olives and spinach all mixed it. It tasted really good....but my body was in SHOCK from the protein, and well I practically had to lamaze breathe....Just fyi :-)
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this, so excuse my ignorance. MFP has my protein requirement set at 60/day, but when I add in my exercise, it goes up to 90. I'm having a really hard time with this. For example, today I had two eggs for breakfast, half a corned beef sandwich for lunch, and a pork chop for dinner, as well as 42 grams of nuts and 8 oz.of coconut milk. This is way more protein than I would normally eat on my own, but I still fell far short of the 90g. I'm hesitant to do protein shakes or powder, because they seem kind of gross, and I'm skeptical of whatever chemicals may be in them. Do I really need that much protein? Am I hurting my weight loss goals by not getting enough protein? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I love my protein shakes! I get them at the gym, but you can buy them at other places. they give a nice hit of protein and, when made with milk and ice (I also throw in a tbsp of olive oil to hit my fat macro), they taste just like a chocolate milk shake!!!!

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I swapped carb snacks for protein snacks and that helps - I'll have ham, edamame, cheese or surimi instead of a cereal bar for example. Turkey has amazing amounts of protein, as do Greek yoghurt and quark.

Must admit, I've found it hard to get enough without using bars and powders, but I'm slightly lazy and have a sweet tooth. It is possible to get enough protein from 'real food'.
  • cdogthegreat0702
    cdogthegreat0702 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i'm a vegetarian and i used to have trouble getting even 50g a day, but now that i'm focusing on what i'm eating i can get 120g+ easily. i eat a lot of egg whites, greek yogurt, and tofu. most days i don't even need a protein bar/shake for a boost unless i'm running late and need to grab something quick. as long as you put in the effort to eat more wholesome, protein-rich foods, you should be fine! :)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a listing of my protein foods, and healthy fat foods...and I am constently changing them up.....between using veggies that are new to me ...its never boring.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cheese, milk, greek yogurt, more meat.