How to Stop Eating Out of Boredom?

Options
2»

Replies

• kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always leave room in my calories for a "mindless" tv snack at night, but usually keep it within 100-150 calories. I make sure to count out my portion into a bowl and put the package away first. Popcorn or low-cal chip variations are good for me to get the sodium I'm craving. If I feel extra hungry I'll pour a huge glass of cold water and chug the whole thing at once. This is more effective for me than just sipping on it with my snack, because it tricks my stomach into feeling full. I thought this was crazy until I actually tried it and I swear it works.

I also learned to crochet for this reason! I'm making a baby blanket right now that definitely keeps my hands busy!
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would try drinking a glass of water. You may be thirsty.

If you find yourself wanting to snack at certain times, I think hot tea or a small snack to fill that time is a good option. I always want an after dinner snack, and I'll usually make a cup of tea (which I also want). If I am really hungry, I eat a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts.

I found this to be more of a problem when I was under calorie and doing daily instead of weekly counts.
  • nettam3re3
    nettam3re3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too. What's worked for me is sunflower seeds. I put 1/4 cup in a little bowl and I eat 2-5 at a time and nibble here and there. I noticed that I am gradually snacking less and less on them but I have a boredom "go to" ready. Since I fiddle with the shells for a while after getting the seed out it keeps my mouth busy and I move on to other things to do. I know it sounds so odd but it's working for me! Just be sure to log it. Even though I spread it out over the day it can add up.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Eat only at the kitchen / dining room table. That way, you learn that food is food for the body and brain's nourishment,

And to put a finer point on it: Don't eat in front of the TV, computer, iPad, etc. Focus on your food when it's time to eat and make an effort to eat slowly.

This. That also includes not reading or doing anything else. Don't eat anything out of it's original container. If it's something like fresh fruit or veg, clean, cut, and put it on a plate to eat it, don't just carry it around. If it's not worth going to that trouble and interrupting what you're doing to sit at a table and eat it until you're done, you're not really hungry.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Find something to keep your hands and mind busy other than TV or the computer (like crocheting, even if- like me- you're no good at it). I've read (and truly believe) that eating out of boredom is a habit associated with actions (like sitting down in front of the TV and mindlessly staring at a screen). Break the habit.