Need willpower advice

Options
Hey guys! I'm Grace.
I'm looking to lose about 30 pounds in the quickest turn around time possible, but I find that I have some issues with my willpower. I WANT to lose weight, but when it comes down to it it feels impossible and I just give up :(
Any chance you have any inspiring tips or suggestions to help me stay motivated and work towards my goal? I'd love to hear them

Have a nice day!

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    The 30 pounds didn't come on overnight. What's the big hurry?
  • ilikeike1925
    ilikeike1925 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've got a wedding coming up...
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I've got a wedding coming up...

Than there is your will power. Start now

Log all your food eat in deficit. Weigh EVERY solid food and measure every liquid
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in losing 25-30 pounds, ideally by the time I wake up tomorrow. What I'm starting to see here on these boards (I've only been a real member for about a week!) is that most of these people made a firm commitment and took/take consistent action. Probably, as we start out, we'll make some errors. I have been. But I really want this to happen, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes, FOR HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES, even if I wake up still chubby in the morning. We can do it, Gracie! Even if you "only" lose 10 by the wedding, that's a dress size!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a muscle like any other... the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets... It will be hard at first, but will get easier every time you say "No thanks" and reach for a lower calorie option.

Log everything. Exercise like you mean it.. stick to your calorie goals, drink lots of water.. and be patient. It won't likely happen as fast as you could wish, but it will make a difference!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm Grace.
    I'm looking to lose about 30 pounds in the quickest turn around time possible, but I find that I have some issues with my willpower. I WANT to lose weight, but when it comes down to it it feels impossible and I just give up :(
    Any chance you have any inspiring tips or suggestions to help me stay motivated and work towards my goal? I'd love to hear them

Have a nice day!

Yes to losing 30lbs
    Yes to losing it as fast as possible

You didnt put it on overnight, so don't expect to take it off so quickly. What you can learn is how to diet effectively. Dieting is very simple, it simply involves you eating at a deficit against what your body needs.

1. Learn how dieting works because this normally answers your questions and with better knowledge you gain an understanding of what it is you are required to do. Start with this, which will give you a good overview, learn how to use the app/mfp by weighing and logging your food. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    2. I dont know you, but on the motivation front then that comes from you. Does it matter enough to you that you are willing to follow a basic dieting plan and stick to it? If you follow the advice in the sexy pants thread and eat at a deficit, then you will lose weight. You will need perspective, patience and determination. You also need to change your understanding/ mindset. Instead of
    quickest turnaround time
    which makes its something that you order and is delivered in the morning, you need to think of it as a journey in which you are involved, its a marathon not a sprint with lots of ups and down.
    3. You need to prepare(so you understand what you are doing), plan (so you have soemthing to follow) and commit (so you do rather than talk about it or try).
    4. Take baby steps as part of your plan so you incorporate changes over time, learn to use the site and weigh, introduce some exercise etc. Recommended weight loss is 1-2lbs a week and it gets harder the close to target you get. You cna do it if you commit, but take it one day at a time and keep going, even if you stall and make a few poor choices along the way.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey, even Jillian says she hates to exercise! Best advice I have gotten is, "eat the frog first." It means do your exercise first thing and get it over with. Willpower comes from seeing results, so we have to earn it.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Start logging now, even before your calculate your TDEE. Then calculate your caloric intake for 1.5 lb loss per week. Then plan on making it a lifetime change, easing into maintenance.

A wedding? Vacation? Bikini? Meh. Those are gone in a day, maybe a month or two. Then you gain the weight back and feel like a sea lion.
  • ilikeike1925
    ilikeike1925 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it. Yes, I have a food and exercise plan and I plan to stick with it. Instead of just focusing on the wedding, I will make a whole life change!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    Start logging now, even before your calculate your TDEE. Then calculate your caloric intake for 1.5 lb loss per week. Then plan on making it a lifetime change, easing into maintenance.

A wedding? Vacation? Bikini? Meh. Those are gone in a day, maybe a month or two. Then you gain the weight back and feel like a sea lion.
    I disagree with some of this. I came here to lose weight two years ago to go on holiday . Holiday was just one week. But after seeing my results am not ready to give them up .
    I agree with @saraphim41‌ above. Good luck op you can do it.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good for you, that's a great plan. Id' also suggest setting yourself up so it's as easy as possible to succeed, then you don't need to rely on your willpower as much. Save it for when you need it.

Put your exercise into your diary - then it's something you just do, no ifs or buts, so that battle is over. Pre-make your lunches/dinners if that would help - I try and put aside some time on a Sunday night for this. Do the best you can as often as you can, and accept sometimes there'll be times you can't be - and when that happens just get back to your good habits. Stick with it :)
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight fast, through a crash diet. I lost 20 pounds once, over a period of 9 weeks, and lost most of it in the first 6 weeks. It was a low-carb, almost no-carb diet. No vegetables at all during the first two weeks. I also started losing hair and even ended up in hospital with stroke-like Symptoms at the end of it. Too bad I did not maintain the weight, and am now even 10 pounds heavier than when I started out back then. I am pretty sure that the guests at that wedding will still like you when you show up the same size you are now. Just find a dress that fits your body and in which you feel comfortable. You will radiate! (Having said that, I too have an event coming up in 7 weeks time. I so want to wear that one dress that does not fit right now, If only I thought of that six months ago....)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The advice I got, which worked to help me lose 50 lbs, was to simply not keep triggers in the house. No temptation, no willpower required. I did have treats, but only out of the house, and I'd just buy one serving. Automatic portion control.

I cooked most of the food I ate from scratch, and focused on meat, veg, whole grains, good fats, and dairy, which it didn't take as much of as other stuff to fill me up. I still ate convenience foods and went to restaurants, but not anywhere near as often as I did before.

After that, willpower was much easier to use in any situation, because my tastes had changed. It's kind of a "training wheels" way to go. It works, though, and it's good food.

But if you've got a plan, yeah, just don't keep trigger foods in the house.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep keep your trigger foods out of the house. Right now I feel like a peanut butter cup. Had I bought some the other day I would have eaten one or two packs by now. But because there's none in my fridge and I couldn't be bothered going to the shop I've just saved myself over 400 worthless calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it. Yes, I have a food and exercise plan and I plan to stick with it. Instead of just focusing on the wedding, I will make a whole life change!!

Perfect. Get ready, there will always be some cool event coming up. You've done burn out mode once or twice now. Time to figure out solutions you can really stick with, without the pressure of any kind of arbitrary deadline. You can do this :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Forget quick. It's a recipe for repeated failure.

Do you want to lose weight or not?