Runners, any experience with orthotics?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
A few months ago I had a tendon injury that has stopped me from running and from doing any exercise related to legs. With physiotherapy and rest, the tendon is now almost healed, but we have a side effect: this leg had an old serious ankle injury, affecting the ankle and lower foot, and with stopping all exercise plus the foot not having good posture when walking because of the tendon pain, the foot now tends to collapse and turn to the inside, like exreme overpronation. The physiotherapist wants me to start exercising these muscles again (and we do lots of strengthening workouts together) but still after attempting even a 10 minute jog, the area gets painful after cooling down. They physiotherapist suggested I try orthotics, and I am probably going to order them next week, but I would like feedback from people already using them, as these things are expensive!

Replies

• cesarioviola
    cesarioviola Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use them. My feet were rolling inwards. They hurt at first. Instead of wearing them for short daily periods and gradually increasing the duration, I put them in and endured the pain. I don't recommend that approach. However, I adapted within a month and they helped my lower back twinges by improving my overall posture, not just my feet. So, they are expensive, but (at least in my experience) worth it. They are uncomfortable at first, but quite soon you don't know they are there.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had ankle, foot and arch problems all my life. I have 4 pairs of EXPENSIVE custom orthotics, plus wasted a ton of money on shoes. They weakened me! They weakened my feet, my ankles, my lower legs! I have gone minimalist a few years ago and have no more issues. If you transition slowly it is pretty pain free as well. I did not, and regret it I was in a lot of pain! But it has been years now and I do not regret it or ever want to go back to orthotics. Just my perspective. Google Minimalist Shoes and start there. PLUS I found my orthotics were throwing out my knee and hip and had to go to the chiropractor several times a week until I figured out why!!