No eating after 6pm

Options
12346»

Replies

• gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks LAWoman72 some intelligent thoughts and insight.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already said something similar to this.

I think the "don't eat after 6PM" was originally meant to keep people from "snacking" in addition to the full day's calories they'd already eaten. Science (never definitive) followed, but I actually think that's where the idea originated.

"No eating after dinner time (six-ish)" was the mantra when I was very little in the 70s; it was very popular at that time. So was "no snacking" and "three square meals a day." I think for people who weren't calorie-counting, they were probably getting more calories than they were expending if they continued to eat later at night. I don't think it was the time of day/night specifically that was the issue.

I think it's a pretty well-known phenomenon (somebody correct me) that it often seems easier to "diet" during the day...but if we over-restrict, we get hungrier and hungrier and as we're doing more throughout the day, we get more and more tired and by the end of that day we've just "had it" and if a binge is going to occur, for many people, anyway, that's when it will occur. Therefore "don't eat after 6PM" would have applied for at least a reasonably large percentage of people...but because of CICO and in order to discourage night binges, not because of any strange nighttime metabolic phenomenon. (Again, just IMO.)

I eat ALL of my calories after 12:00 PM (I start with lunch), and a full half just for dinner; that's my biggest meal. I have enough calories left over for a snack at night, as I know myself and I know I like that nibble at night. I am losing weight just fine. I know I'm only one person, but just thought I'd put my own experience in.

Exactly. If you have a planned meal/snack that just happens to be later, which fits within your calorie goals...it's totally fine. Adding more food later in the day on TOP of a full day's calories is a different story.
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I work until at least 6 so don't get home until at least 6:30 so could never stick to that even if I wanted to.

Not eating dinner at work. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already said something similar to this.

I think the "don't eat after 6PM" was originally meant to keep people from "snacking" in addition to the full day's calories they'd already eaten. Science (never definitive) followed, but I actually think that's where the idea originated.

"No eating after dinner time (six-ish)" was the mantra when I was very little in the 70s; it was very popular at that time. So was "no snacking" and "three square meals a day." I think for people who weren't calorie-counting, they were probably getting more calories than they were expending if they continued to eat later at night. I don't think it was the time of day/night specifically that was the issue.

I think it's a pretty well-known phenomenon (somebody correct me) that it often seems easier to "diet" during the day...but if we over-restrict, we get hungrier and hungrier and as we're doing more throughout the day, we get more and more tired and by the end of that day we've just "had it" and if a binge is going to occur, for many people, anyway, that's when it will occur. Therefore "don't eat after 6PM" would have applied for at least a reasonably large percentage of people...but because of CICO and in order to discourage night binges, not because of any strange nighttime metabolic phenomenon. (Again, just IMO.)

I eat ALL of my calories after 12:00 PM (I start with lunch), and a full half just for dinner; that's my biggest meal. I have enough calories left over for a snack at night, as I know myself and I know I like that nibble at night. I am losing weight just fine. I know I'm only one person, but just thought I'd put my own experience in.

Exactly. If you have a planned meal/snack that just happens to be later, which fits within your calorie goals...it's totally fine. Adding more food later in the day on TOP of a full day's calories is a different story.

Yes, this. I more typically work 'til 7 or after, and eat around 9 pm, and it has never been an issue. Eating this late also means that I'm never tempted to eat excess food in the evening. I eat my planned dinner and (if I have the calories) a little something after dinner that really operates as a continuation of dinner.

My danger period for eating on unplanned stuff is earlier in the day, at work.

However, not eating after 6 might cause me to lose weight, as I simply wouldn't have dinner. (More likely it would be too difficult to sustain.)
  • gpstreet
    Options
    At work, our team has set up a no cakes, biscuits or sweets rule. Any infractions incurs a 50 pence fine. We all willingly signed up and so far it has helped to cut down on grazing.
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Seeing as I dont get home from work/the gym until 8pm, stopping eating at 6pm would be hard! haha. I go to bed by about 10 most nights too. Meaning i generally eat around 6-700 cals in the last two hours before bed. never caused me issues at all! :)
  • gpstreet
    Options
    I have to agree that no eating after 6pm is not realistic for me aswell. However I do like the no eating 30 minutes before going to bed
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to give it a go, it cant hurt.
    I also think, for every thin pensioner who doesn't eat after 6pm there will be an obese one. There will also be people who smoke 20 a day and live till 103 and others who never smoke and get lung cancer at 30.

There is nothing to say that the reason he is slim is that he doesn't eat after 6pm

• gpstreet
    Options
    I think if you want to give it a go, it cant hurt.
    I also think, for every thin pensioner who doesn't eat after 6pm there will be an obese one. There will also be people who smoke 20 a day and live till 103 and others who never smoke and get lung cancer at 30.

There is nothing to say that the reason he is slim is that he doesn't eat after 6pm
    Maybe it is more an exhibition of control.