Alternate for coffee

Options

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    cpate44 wrote: »
    I suggest you give "matcha" green tea a try. It will boost your energy level, is not as strong tasting as some have said, you can drink it hot (like coffee) or cold. I simply add about a teaspoon to a 20oz water bottle and if you need some sweetner, just a touch of honey will do. A small canister can be a little pricey, but you use so little at a time, that it will last a while. Just look up matcha in whatever search engine you are using to see the benefits and good luck!

Green tea with sweetener? Ew.

Green tea black, especially Matcha, brewed with water that is about 80C (175F) is beyond amazingly good. Why ruin it with sweeteners?

Then again, I ask the same thing with coffee, but the answer to that is probably due to the person drinking crap coffee.

Some cultures add cream/sugar to their tea.

What cultures are you talking about? That person is from Michigan.

I tried green tea with things added to it. It was nasty as heck. I believe adding sweetener to tea isn't because of culture, it's because of a sweet tooth.

You can live in one place and be influenced by a different culture for a variety of reasons. Signed, the person who has mayo with her french fries and not ketchup.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like coffee myself, but tea would work.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The only reason to cut out coffee is because you're cutting down on caffeine for some reason (for me, it was because I was getting plenty in my pre-workout and too much caffeine worsens my anxiety issues). If you're wanting a different caffeinated beverage, why give up coffee in the first place?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The only reason to cut out coffee is because you're cutting down on caffeine for some reason (for me, it was because I was getting plenty in my pre-workout and too much caffeine worsens my anxiety issues). If you're wanting a different caffeinated beverage, why give up coffee in the first place?

^This was my thought. I've taken to drinking coffee without milk and with sweetener (sweetener for some reason tastes disgusting in baked products but I don't mind it in coffee). And I've recently rediscovered my french press, and I'd forgotten how awesome coffee brewed with it is. I've also had several people recommend an aeropress, and reading reviews, it apparently makes an amazing cup of coffee as well.

ETA: My point about how it's brewed is that it's almost a little frothier, and I completely don't miss cream/creamer.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Black tea is a favourite of many.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If its the caffeine you miss, try caffeinated water, caffeinated sodas, caffeine pills .. they work. I'm still with all the other posters, though: What's behind giving up coffee?

If you're moving to an alternative source of caffeine - do some research. The caffeine content of various drinks varies wildly. Brewed Coffee generally ranges from 100-200mg per cup. Tea, espresso and caffeinated sodas all fall in to the 20-70mg per serving range.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I suggest you give "matcha" green tea a try. It will boost your energy level, is not as strong tasting as some have said, you can drink it hot (like coffee) or cold. I simply add about a teaspoon to a 20oz water bottle and if you need some sweetner, just a touch of honey will do. A small canister can be a little pricey, but you use so little at a time, that it will last a while. Just look up matcha in whatever search engine you are using to see the benefits and good luck!

Green tea black, especially Matcha, brewed with water that is about 80C (175F) is beyond amazingly good. Why ruin it with sweeteners?

Then again, I ask the same thing with coffee, but the answer to that is probably due to the person drinking crap coffee.

I tried green tea with things added to it. It was nasty as heck. I believe adding sweetener to tea isn't because of culture, it's because of a sweet tooth.

He lives in MI.
    Doesn't mean he's from there.

I've got coworkers from Pakistan and India who add cream and sugar to their tea.
    They live in the US now.
    So dude in MI could be from overseas.

I know people from/in the UK (who ancestors are also English) who do or do not add cream, sugar, sweetener, milk, whatever to their coffee. Some will not drink it without adding stuff, others will turn up their noses to the idea.

I also know people from India and Pakistan who think that adding stuff to teas is disgusting.

However, 99% of the time we're talking about tea, we're talking about Orange Pekoe, English Breakfast, or Earl Grey, all of which taste fine when adding stuff to it. I personally prefer Orange Pekoe with some honey or sugar because it's so bitter without.

But green tea is a whole different ball game, as are most herbal teas. I tried it with different things in it and nearly vomited, it tasted so bad. I have never in my life met someone who would add anything to green tea, and I've met people from all over the world.

But I digress, if you need to add something to your coffee to make it taste good, you're drinking the wrong coffee.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Zara11 wrote: »

You can live in one place and be influenced by a different culture for a variety of reasons. Signed, the person who has mayo with her french fries and not ketchup.

Mayo in fries sounds yummy!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Tartar Sauce on french fries > mayo on french fries.
  • auddii
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

My friend goes with garlic mayo every time if it's available; usually it's a mix of ketchup and mayo (which just looks like thousand island dressing to me...).
  • sunhine12881
    Options
    I Should have been more specific. Yes it's the caffeine I'm trying to avoid. I'm not a soda drinker so no caffeine intake there. I've found that I'm sleeping much better since I've quit consuming coffee. I was hoping to find some suggestions for something that can give me that little bit of energy I need on those days my son has kept me up at night. Thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated :)
  • auddii
    Options
    I Should have been more specific. Yes it's the caffeine I'm trying to avoid. I'm not a soda drinker so no caffeine intake there. I've found that I'm sleeping much better since I've quit consuming coffee. I was hoping to find some suggestions for something that can give me that little bit of energy I need on those days my son has kept me up at night. Thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated :)

Oh, well in that case, there are TONS of types of teas. As mentioned, check out caffeine for the different types (basic categories can give you an idea such as black vs. green vs. white). There are shops that specialize in teas, and I've had some really exotic such as a white tea with dried cherries and other spices. I also really like a basic English breakfast or earl grey. Just try and see what you like.

Also keep in mind that some of the herbals may contain stuff that doesn't agree with you. I never thought about it, but chamomile is technically a grass, which I'm allergic to. Usually just leads to a runny nose in the spring. But concentrated as a tea, my eyes swell shut...
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

My friend goes with garlic mayo every time if it's available; usually it's a mix of ketchup and mayo (which just looks like thousand island dressing to me...).

frietjes oorlog - peanut sauce, mayo, raw diced onion. NOM.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Oh, well in that case, there are TONS of types of teas. As mentioned, check out caffeine for the different types (basic categories can give you an idea such as black vs. green vs. white). There are shops that specialize in teas, and I've had some really exotic such as a white tea with dried cherries and other spices. I also really like a basic English breakfast or earl grey. Just try and see what you like.

Also keep in mind that some of the herbals may contain stuff that doesn't agree with you. I never thought about it, but chamomile is technically a grass, which I'm allergic to. Usually just leads to a runny nose in the spring. But concentrated as a tea, my eyes swell shut...

Yup. Chamomile is made from the flower of a grass.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

BBQ sauce for me.
    My mother uses mayo for her fries, it grosses me out since I don't like the consistency of mayo (yet I like it's basic ingredients - oil & eggs lol)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not a tea drinker myself, but everyone I know who drinks tea (not herbal) over here in England would think you are crazy not adding milk. The big debate is over do you put milk in the cup first or after pouring the tea? Do you use a tea pot or not? I know one person who drinks black tea, that is it , and I thought she was crazy when she asked for no milk. So I do think it is a culture thing to a degree. You will also struggle to find someone who drinks black coffee, I do because I couldn't afford milk and then grew to love black coffee. :smile:

Edit: I've been informed that our tea is known as English Breakfast tea to other countries. I did not know this
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options

How about decaff coffee?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Cappuccino, of course.
  • auddii
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I'm not a tea drinker myself, but everyone I know who drinks tea (not herbal) over here in England would think you are crazy not adding milk. The big debate is over do you put milk in the cup first or after pouring the tea? Do you use a tea pot or not? I know one person who drinks black tea, that is it , and I thought she was crazy when she asked for no milk. So I do think it is a culture thing to a degree. You will also struggle to find someone who drinks black coffee, I do because I couldn't afford milk and then grew to love black coffee. :smile:

Edit: I've been informed that our tea is known as English Breakfast tea to other countries. I did not know this

To be fair, I've seen Irish breakfast as well, and it's labeled as such in Ireland. Doesn't seem all that odd... :wink:
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the OP but I have recently stopped drinking coffee as it was making me nauseous, needless to say I'm devastated :(