Weight gain after exercise?

Options
Doess anyone else experience a slight weight gain the day after a particularly grueling work out? Even if I do not give myself more calories that day I gain a pound. It goes away over the next two days. Is it extra water or is the muscle building? I'm OK with it. Just curious.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It's water retention in the muscles.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Water weight. After leg day I will usually gain a few lbs.

When you work your muscles hard they retain glycogen. Glycogen is water soluble and pulls water into the muscles along with it.

Muscle building takes a long time, and would not come and go in the way you have described.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this - I've experienced the same thing!
  • cinoi1551
    cinoi1551 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All the time...you're not alone, don't worry!
  • astgte
    astgte Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Funny that, ive just started at the gym following a cardio and weights programme over the last few days and was a bit annoyed that ive put on a couple of pounds yet my calorie intake hasnt changed, after loosing 56 pounds through diet alone and hitting a plateau for nearly 2 months, decided that exercise was way to go, was getting annoyed that id sneaked a few back on, be interesting now by end of the week if im back down or loose a little more than I started at. Thanks for the answer.
  • mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! That's sort of what I thought it was. I also tend to hydrate more on days like that so more water in.... My overall trend continues downward and I now weigh myself every couple of days rather than every day.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Water, which is why weight is the worst health measurement. Body fat percentage (body composition) is what people should care about. Take body part measurements, take pictures, and ask yourself how you feel and how you sleep. Improve these and you’re doing good things for your health and fitness.