Weight training vs cardio

Options
For around two months I have been working out consistently doing 30-45 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of strength training (squats, free weights, core workouts) and have lost only a few pounds and don't really see any results. I was definitely doing more cardio than strength training, so this week I decided to start doing 40 minutes of strength training and 15 minutes of cardio instead. My question is whether or not doing this will get me the results I want instead of mostly cardio?
Also how many calories should I be eating in order to lose fat and build muscle? Thanks for any help!!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Diet will get you the results you want. Make sure that is in check and things should start falling into place.

Diet for weight loss, exercise for health, fitness, strength, speed, agility, etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    For around two months I have been working out consistently doing 30-45 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of strength training (squats, free weights, core workouts) and have lost only a few pounds and don't really see any results. I was definitely doing more cardio than strength training, so this week I decided to start doing 40 minutes of strength training and 15 minutes of cardio instead. My question is whether or not doing this will get me the results I want instead of mostly cardio?
    Also how many calories should I be eating in order to lose fat and build muscle? Thanks for any help!!

Depends on what results you are looking for. If your goal is solely to lose weight, either helps as all additional movement burns additional calories. If you want to maximize muscle retention while losing fat, strength helps a lot. If you want to increase your heart and lung health, cardio helps. They overlap some too. It's definitely not an either/or thing.

Have you filled out your MFP profile? Assuming you fill it out accurately, it will help you find your base calories to eat for the day. Then you log your exercise and eat back some of those calories (I believe most people eat 50-75% of them.) I like to aim for .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight in order to help retain muscle. (You'll see other formulas like 1 gram per pound or 1 gram per pound of lean body weight. From what I've read, the studies that have been done have generally shown that something like .6something grams per pound of body weight helps retain/build muscle but going over isn't going to hurt you, assuming you don't have medical issues.)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. Cardio is great for health and creating a decent calorie deficit if you struggle keeping your diet on point. Weight/resistance training will dramatically change the composition of your body (assuming you are eating right, protein etc). I used to run 10 miles a day (Really fast, it took me 60mins and burned about 13,00 calories) for about three years. I was really fit and looked skinny in clothes but was soft and podgy. Sine I have reduced my cardio and began lifting, I have put on weight on the scale, maintained my body fat (about 15%) from when I was only doing cardio and completely changed my body composition from skinny fat to having decent lean muscle mass. Both forms of exercise are great and can be used alongside each other. I do not recommend running 10 miles though if your lifting too. I now run 4 miles fast, twice a week and lift heavy 3 times a week.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You don't look like you have that much left to lose.
    I think as people are saying, you need to home in now on the specifics.

Figure out your Macros, Are you doing a proper, progressive lifting program? What is cardio?

IIFIYM, Strong lifts 5x5
    Cardio is so open, you can really pick anything.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, or better, fat loss, is a function of diet. If you eat at a moderate calorie deficit you will lose fat. The problem with focusing on weight is that fat loss for various reasons can happen without the weight on the scale changing. Eventually the weight will change, but if you focus only on weight, you can get discouraged even while losing fat. The practical upshot of this is make sure you are eating at a moderate deficit by measuring your food carefully (kitchen scale for solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids).

Exercise is for health and body composition. Weights will help maintain muscle mass, thus aiding in body recomposition. Cardio helps you heart and lungs function optimally, and allow for some more calories to be consumed while still maintaining that moderate calorie deficit. Thus, both are helpful. The switch to more weights and less cardio would probably be a beneficial change. With that I would suggest get a good beginners program rather than just putting something together for yourself. I tend to recommend Stronglifts 5x5 as in has few exercises which makes it easier to learn and perfect your exercise form. It also focuses on compound exercises that will provide a strong foundation for the future.