Beginner running plan besides C25K?

Options
LJgfg
LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
If C25K works or did work for you - great!!

But it doesn't fit me, unfortunately. So currently I'm trying to create my own training plan as I go (based on distance / pace).

However, I'm certainly no expert and would love to find a gradual beginner plan that would get me up to that 3 miles at about a 15 min pace so I could then transition into one of the myriad of other training plans out there.

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If C25K isn't working for you I have no idea what would work...
    Honestly, there isn't anything easier or more gradual than C25K...

Good luck!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I got frustrated with C25K and stopped using it halfway through... not sure why. What I ended up doing was just using Zombies Run, and getting out there and going until I couldn't anymore. I didn't have a 'plan' though. But I regularly run anywhere from 4 to 10 miles at a 10 or 11:30 minute mile pace depending on distance. You just have to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What about C25K didn't work for you?
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run 5k Training Plan starts you off with 15 second running/ one minute walking intervals the first week, followed by 10 minutes of a free form run, where you walk and run however you want.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Also curious about this?

Was it too hard and moved too quick? Because you can stay at any week for as long as you need.

Does not compute.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I started running long before I heard of C25K. Honestly, if I had tried it, I probably would have been discouraged. I think it is week 3 to 4 where it jumps to some longer run times. That would have been hard for me. Back in the day when I started, I did one minute of running (5 mph pace) and then 1 min (or I may have started with 2 mins) of walking (probably a 2.5 mph pace). Then I worked up to 2 mins of running/2 walking. 2 running/1 walking. Then 3 running/2 walking. As it got a little easier, I started trying go a little faster (5.2 mph) or I would try to keep my walk pace at no lower than 3 mph.

I have since done about a zillion 5ks, but I have not run non-stop for a single one of them. I still take walking breaks.

Anyway - my point, set your own intervals and do them. Then try to improve. And do it three times a week - consistency is important - probably even more important that what you are doing for intervals. If you are only doing it once or twice a week, it will be hard to make improvements.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Honestly I hated it too. In hindsight I was probably trying to run too fast during the running intervals and it made me exhausted and dread the next running interval. But anyway, I would just run a little bit further each day. I would walk to warm up, and then just start running. I would run to that mailbox. Then the next day I would try to run to the car beyond the mailbox. Then all the way to the end of the street! (I remember the first time I did that, such an amazing feeling). When I felt like I needed to stop running, I would just continue walking til I got back home (it was about a 3 mile route around the neighborhood). Obviously this can be done on a treadmill too. So don't worry if C25K isn't for you. There are definitely other ways.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The first time, I started off walking three miles/5K. Each week, I subbed in one more 1/4 mile run. (Generally starting with a half mile walking warmup, then however far I was running that week, then walking the rest). I don't like the walk/run interval schedule. Run and done for me. There were a couple weeks I only increased by 1/8.

The second time, I built up my cardio endurance on the elliptical first and was able to jump right into running one mile solid. Then I built up by 1/4 or 1/2 mile per week from there until 10K, where I went with one mile per week up to half marathon distance. :)

In the beginning, the only thing you need to do to get faster is to run more, and run the same distance for more and more days. Your pace will come down as your body gets used to the motion and distance and builds the necessary muscle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    C25k did not work for me either after trying to repeat it 5 times and I gave up. Something else worked, but I have since lost it. This runners world program is close to what I did but a bit harder:

Week 1: Walk 30 minutes briskly
    Week 2: 5x(Walk 4 minutes, Run 1)
    Week 3: 5x(Walk 4 minutes, Run 2)
    Week 4: 5x(Walk 3 minutes, Run 3)
    Week 5: 4x(Walk 2 minutes and 30 seconds, Run 5)
    Week 6: 3x(Walk 3 minutes, Run 7)
    Week 7: 3x(Walk 2 minutes, Run 8)
    Week 8: 2x(Walk 2 minutes, Run 9), then Walk 2 minutes, Run 8 once
    Week 9: 3x(Walk 1 minute, Run 9)
    Week 10: 2x(Walk 2 minutes, Run 13)
    Week 11: Walk 2 minutes, Run 14, walk 1 minute, run 14
    Week 12: Walk 3 minutes, Run 30 minutes

Pointers:
    - Don't skip the first week.
    - Training happens 3-4 times a week with rest days in between of complete rest or low impact cross-training.
    - Make sure to start running at the same pace of a brisk walk. If you can run any slower, you are going too fast.
    - End end with a 3-5 minute walk for cooldown.
    - Repeat weeks if necessary.

Here is another program:
    http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/JogWalkProgram.html
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If C25K isn't working for you I have no idea what would work...
    Honestly, there isn't anything easier or more gradual than C25K...

Good luck!

I agree with this. You can also stay on certain weeks for as long as you want.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The general idea:
    Make sure you can walk this distance. If not, start from there.
    Start adding slow jogging intervals. For a person very out of shape, it could be just 1 minute jog every 5 mins walking, for someone already doing other forms of exercise or just active in general it could be 1 min walk 1 min jog. So figure out what feels comfortable to you.
    Aim for 2-3 runs per week.
    Every week or other week depending how you feel, increase a bit your jog to run ratio. For example, walk 30 seconds less, jog 30 seconds more.
    Until you are comfortable running your goal distance, jog slowly, do not try to go too fast.
    Whenever you feel you cannot handle it, slow down and go back to walking more.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking at Jeff Galloway. I really liked his program when I started.

Good luck!
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What always worked for me was I walked for 30 minutes the first week, when I first started out. Then I would walk for 29, run the last 1, then walk for 28, run last 2, until I was up to running the entire 30 min. Once I mastered that, I worked on going faster and going longer than 30 min. That's always worked for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    LJgfg wrote: »
    But it doesn't fit me, unfortunately. So currently I'm trying to create my own training plan as I go (based on distance / pace).

Without some insight into why you found C25K didn't work for you then any responses are a bit meaningless. Did you find yourself unable to run for the running intervals? At what point in the plan did you feel that it wasn't right for you? Was it the whole walk/ run approach that you found didn't work? A myriad of different potential reasons, with different answers.

All beginner plans have some similarities, but I'd generally expect you to be able to walk for 30 minutes at a brisk pace before being able to meaningfully enter any of them. Although for me a 15 minute mile is walking pace.
  • LJgfg
    Options

My brain and my emotions.

If a training plan says run 30 sec - I want to run 30 sec (not 31 - not 28) and so I was basically trying to run with my watch in front of my face. May sound weird but think of me as a little OCD (no offense intended to those struggling with real cases of this disorder).
    I tried using a timer but got frustrated turning it off, resetting, etc.

Second - I get extremely frustrated using a plan where I have to repeat weeks - makes me feel like a complete failure and I've had enough of that already. As you say - this should be the very beginner plan - so what does that say about me if I'm "failing" the beginner plan?

My current plan (under construction) started with me doing a mile walk at a 18 min pace, then a run of .05 mile at a under 11 min pace. Both doable for me but require effort. Plan is to alternate each week increasing the distances and decreasing the pace, gradually moving away from walking entirely once I'm doing 8 miles.

• LJgfg
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, links and ideas. Sounds like I'm on the right track...I think.

Background:
    Last summer (before a lapse in training), I was up to walking 6 miles at a 20 min pace, last spring I did a 5k with a PB time of 52min.