Reverse dieting

Options
i have been working on losing weight for my wedding in July. My dress alterations are in May so I have two months where I have to maintain my weight before continuing with my weight loss. My concern is I've never been able to maintain I've always been losing or gaining and I'm really nervous that on my wedding day my dress will either be too big or too small. Anyway I've heard a lot about reverse dieting and was wondering if anyone who has actually done this could give me some advise. Thank you!

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the wedding =) I haven't gotten to the maintenance phase yet, but I would assume that if you continue to be very careful about counting your calories at your maintenance level and keep working out you will be able to maintain. Also, you have to accept the fluctuation that will inevitably happen.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You eat a certain amount of calories to lose weight, right? Do the same thing, but at your maintenance level. Up your goal to maintenance, and keep logging.
  • rojvansu
    rojvansu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look up revers dieting. That's the best answer
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    rojvansu wrote: »
    Look up revers dieting. That's the best answer

+1

Do your research and it's not what the name suggest.

Reverse Dieting's purpose is to build muscles. Its origins are from body builders and people who enters physique competitions. So the regimen encourages the consumption of a lot of nutritious rich calories but it is recommended to lift weights to off-set the amount of calories consumed. (The additional calories are intended to go to building muscles).

I have seen a few 'reverse dieting' who practices the 'consume a lot of calories' part but totally neglects the whole weight lifting part. And I do have my reservations with strictly compensating with cardio because I hypothesize that at some point one simply cannot out-cardio the amount of calories being consumed without any strength training. (that is strictly my novice opinion).

I think the key to maintenance is to build muscles. And strength training doesn't necessarily mean lifting heavy weights grunting loudly like you're about to give birth to a watermelon at a gym. It can be as simple as using your own body weight in doing pull ups, push ups, dips, etc. It is a much slower process than losing weight (in regards to results) so it does require a different mind set and patience. But if you are consistent, maintenance will stop being 'maintenance' and it will just be the way you live your life.

Best of luck to you!

P.S. Congrats!
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Reverse dieting is simply slowly adding back in calories and carbohydrates in a slow and controlled manner. The objective is to improve/maintain solid metabolic health and reverse the hormonal adaptions that occur naturally while in a caloric restriction (dieting). It is done methodically by increasing carbohydrates and fat. I can refer you to specific instructions if needed.

Just to be thorough though, reverse dieting is much more difficult than calorie restriction itself. It is a true psychological battle to maintain discipline and be consistent at the end of a diet when motivation is not focused on loosing weight, but rather upon increasing calories. It is a slow process. As I said, I can outline how to do it if you would like to try it.
  • mecelani
    mecelani Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think I'm getting confused because this is only temporary, I still have more wait to lose. I just can't lose or gain in the two months before my dress alterations and wedding day.
  • Silverstar721
    Silverstar721 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You and I already know what our intake is to lose weight. So if you are very active during your wedding planning you might be able to injest an additional 200-300 calories per week, not days to hold on to your current weight. So if takes a bit of juggling to even things out but, with careful watching and counting I know you can do it. You might weigh yourself every other day. Congratulations on your wedding. I hope you have a blessed marriage filled with happiness and joy. One of the counselors here should be able to help as well. Good luck.