I never feel sore.

Options
I never feel sore after a workout. I do about 35-45 minutes of cardio on an elliptical and then I use the bench press machines for about 10-15 minutes. I usually work out 4-5 times a week.

Should I give myself a harder workout to do? Does soreness = muscle build up everytime?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I couldn't find any clear answers yet.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're most likely not sore because you're not challenging your body doing the same level of physical acitivity.

That being said, you don't HAVE to be sore each time.

Add more weight when you lift, and run longer or at a higher speed or add more of an incline.

You will feel it.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It's not a dumb question. No question is ever dumb. People who think ask questions.

Sore muscles do not indicate a good workout
    (http://www.intense-workout.com/muscle_soreness.html)

However ....

From your post I'm kinda reading you are doing same thing again and again. You have a pattern that you follow. If that's the case you may not be going beyond. Figure out the way to break the routine.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Are you running further and further or at higher incline and resistance on the elliptical every time? Are you lifting more and more weight on the bench press every time? If you're not pushing your muscles to failure/their endurance threshold, you're not going to be sore.

Also- why just bench? It's a great lift, but not a complete body workout. What about your legs?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    If you're not sore, it means that your body muscles have adapted to the resistance/duration you currently use.
    One doesn't have to be sore all the time, but soreness is an indicator that muscle break down occurred in what ever physical activity you did.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Switch it up. Use the static bike instead and do push ups? Or use the rowing machine and shoulder presses. Or do the dreaded lunges. I am guaranteed to be sore after lunges!
  • curlylocks302
    curlylocks302 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm definitely going to amp up my workout next time.